00 Corolla sputters after re-connecting battery

lv2xlr8

Car(s)
99 Mistubishi Galant
So I was swapping out some dash lights on the car and disconnected the battery for an hour or so. I re-connected the battery and now the engine shakes like all hell. And it sounds weak/poor. I don't know if it's just because the battery or what? The battery is almost 4 years old.

Any [quick] advice would be great!

Check the battery cables and terminals for cracking and clean the terminals. Then go drive it for 10 miles to see if the ECU just needs to "relearn" the car.

Check the battery cables and terminals for cracking and clean the terminals. Then go drive it for 10 miles to see if the ECU just needs to "relearn" the car.

I disconnected the battery again and drove to autozone to get it tested. The kid tested it and said it was 'Ok' but I wasn't sure if he was entirely too bright. He told me you can't disconnect a battery for an hour or you'll cause damage to electronic components. I asked him, how would you do repair work or work on the dash or etc...and he didn't have a response.

Anywho, I brought the battery back, put it back in, it ran for 30 seconds and died. Any ideas? I cleaned the terminals as best as I could. I should point out, it's not my car...it's my dad car and he's pissed :lol: so should I jump it or what?

Ran for 30 seconds and died? Jump starting wouldn't harm so try.. Well, when our vitz's battery died, and then even when we jump started it, it wouldn't stay running for long.. .. and I don't know why.. but when the battery was changed all was back to normal, however, with my great suzuki alto, that never happens.. I don't know whats behind this..

and lol @ that kid.

While you were working on the dash, how did it go? :p

Last edited:
I disconnected the battery again and drove to autozone to get it tested. The kid tested it and said it was 'Ok' but I wasn't sure if he was entirely too bright. He told me you can't disconnect a battery for an hour or you'll cause damage to electronic components. I asked him, how would you do repair work or work on the dash or etc...and he didn't have a response.

Anywho, I brought the battery back, put it back in, it ran for 30 seconds and died. Any ideas? I cleaned the terminals as best as I could. I should point out, it's not my car...it's my dad car and he's pissed :lol: so should I jump it or what?

Once the engine kicks in the battery isn't needed. You might have damaged the ECU somehow.

Once the engine kicks in the battery isn't needed. You might have damaged the ECU somehow.

How could I have damaged the ECU? And the engine never properly started, it was sputtering the whole time.

Eh, it won't damage most electrical components unless you short it out or reconnect the battery improperly, etc.

Here's a question, did you make sure you reconnected the dash properly?

Eh, it won't damage most electrical components unless you short it out or reconnect the battery improperly, etc.

Here's a question, did you make sure you reconnected the dash properly?

I connected the battery and the dash back properly. *shrugs* Any other ideas? I really hope to not have the car towed.

So, I went to a mechanic and it had nothing to do with the battery. I neglected to mentioned in the original post that the check engine light bulb was burnt out (which I found out when I removed the dash to change the bulbs for the fuel gauge and speedo.)

It turns out that the spark plugs were corroded because of a restricted fuel filter and possibly some bad gas. He said that caused the computer (which I would imagine he means the ECU) to tell the fuel pump to pump more gas causing the car to run lean causing the exhaust to get too hot. He said when he removed the O2 sensor that the car will run better but without that, it's choking and it keeps dying.

What he wants to replace:
Fuel Filter
MAF - OE
Exhaust from the cat backwards - universal and not OE
He said there is a possibility that the ECU may need to be replaced but he didn't find any damage or any spikes in voltages so it's very unlikely.

Does this sound right? It definitely has been a domino affect but it seems to make unfortunate sense.

Last edited:
That won't be cheap. Also more gas = rich not lean.

I agree with Spectre that doesn't make sense. Corroded spark plugs from fuel starvation? Why would the headers get super hot if it isn't getting enough fuel? Also if it is a fuel issue why is he replacing the Mass Air Flow sensor?

Last edited:
No, that makes little sense. Go somewhere else.

Care to elaborate some? A specific part of what he said or?

Yeah assuming he is correct in his diagnosis, it won't be. *shrugs* Were his words, personally, I always mix up the two.

I agree with Spectre that doesn't make sense. Corroded spark plugs from fuel starvation? Why would the headers get super hot if it isn't getting enough fuel? Also if it is a fuel issue why is he replacing the Mass Air Flow sensor?

Can bad gas corrode spark plugs?

He said he wanted to replace the exhaust from the cat back so I would imagine the headers are okay. Did you mean "Why wouldn't?"

I imagine he wants to replace the MAF because the ECU is not delivering the correct mixture of air/fuel.

Can bad gas corrode spark plugs?

Yes bad gas can, but according to what he said the bad gas was clogging the fuel filter.

He said he wanted to replace the exhaust from the cat back so I would imagine the headers are okay. Did you mean "Why wouldn't?"

Engines/exhausts get hot because they burn fuel. Running lean means less fuel and heat. Air doesn't generate heat by itself.

I imagine he wants to replace the MAF because the ECU is not delivering the correct mixture of air/fuel.

According to what you said the guy told you it was bad gas and a fuel filter problem not an intake issue. Also 9/10 times someone says a MAF sensor is bad they are bull shitting you. Spend $6 on a can of MAF sensor cleaner and clean it.

Last edited:
Running lean actually increases combustion temperature, not the other way around.

Running lean actually increases combustion temperature, not the other way around.

I would have thought the other way. I stand corrected.

//Thanks to Google I now know that the "extra" fuel is used to carry away heat.
The_More_You_Know.jpg

Last edited:
Spend $6 on a can of MAF sensor cleaner and clean it.
+1 for this idea. I always clean the MAF on Corolla/Echo/Yaris etc when I service them. Even carby cleaner will work fine.

I don't think it will solve the problem though :? Hard to say without inspecting the car myself

+1 for this idea. I always clean the MAF on Corolla/Echo/Yaris etc when I service them. Even carby cleaner will work fine.

I don't think it will solve the problem though :? Hard to say without inspecting the car myself

Yeah I looked into it some more and supposedly high mileage corollas tend to have failing MAFs. Our car has 144,000 miles on it.