James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

Have a blister on my left index finger the exact size & shape of a lego nubbin. Lego James (as we call him to differentiate from Mr May) who worked for Lego says the correct name for them is knob.
I pointed out that going around saying "I have a knob blister" might be ill-advised, even for a girl.... ;)

Lego James now realizes why he is still single. :mrgreen:

Well done Ozgirl!

I think the Geekologie has his math wrong (3 million big bricks vs 3 million small bricks) but I can't be bothered to join. Anyone a member?

Well, James has done it. He's gotten me playing with toys. Somehow I think the goal was to get CHILDREN playing with toys, but what's done is done. This isn't finished yet, but here's what I was working on tonight. I think it goes without saying that this is a representation and everything is not to scale. There is no interior second story as the series hasn't aired, I'm not privy to "trade secrets," and I'm not a good enough engineer to figure out how they're doing it!

Please don't eat me. :( I desperately needed something to do with myself tonight. Please say nice things. Make poor fly feel good.

Front door and window
100_3551.jpg

James at his picture window with a wrench/spanner
100_3562.jpg

Living room with big screen TV and bookshelf + Dining area with wine glass
100_3556.jpg

Sofa with lamp, dining area 2, kitchen with sink, stove, and oven
100_3557.jpg

James, er, Stig in a vehicle (I would like to voice severe annoyance at Lego vehicles!) in garage
100_3564.jpg

The neighborhood, both building feature lovely vaulted ceilings and perfectly patterned stripes. I know they aren't building anything other than the house, but it seemed cruel to deprive James of a car.
100_3565.jpg

I suppose it's obvious this wasn't built purely with plain Legos. I had some old Harry Potter sets that had fallen apart, with the instructions lost. I re-purposed quite a few of those bits, including Harry. I think I have a better head somewhere that I can use with the same body and hair so maybe I'll try that too. I also think there needs to be a shed. James should have a shed.

Last edited:
I think you did very good work. +1

I have to admit it has been running through my mind to go out to the shed and check out some of the bricks I have out there. Right now, I just build stuff in my mind on my way to work.

I also think there needs to be a shed. James should have a shed.

Definitely. :nod: In the meantime... BRAVO!

edit: Damn, gotta spread some of the lurve around first.

Thanks guys! Once I started, I couldn't stop. Damn ADD.

The only problem with the shed, and the reason I haven't done it already, is that's the only door I have. There's an orange and purple dungeon door from the Potter set, but that looks very strange. I'll think on it and make do. I don't think I can build a door out of lego like they're doing on the real house at this scale, but maybe. I do have lots of cool stuff to go inside though!

So good of you you thought about including a shed. I haven't seen anything like a shed in Dorking yet. How can anyone build James a house and not include a shed? :(;)

Ok finished the shed and took some final pictures. Unlike the real project, I don't have to account for things like money, space, time, physics, and health & safety. I'm sure they'd have a shed if they could. I'm limited only by the number of bricks I have (I'm rapidly running out of what I need) and my creativity (ran out long ago).

Shed interior with a hammer, broken helmet visor, lamp, tire + rim, shelves, pot, spider, chair, and other assorted shed bits. I'm sure James would have a more organized shed but this is how I remember my granddaddy's shed. The only thing missing is the lawnmower and the distinct smell of gasoline.
100_3566.jpg

The property. James has managed to twin himself into Spanner James and Stig James.
100_3575.jpg

Look who came to visit! He has a helicopter and his hat on back to front like a young little.... Right then. It's Richard Hammond! (The helicopter is from a Knex set that came in a box of cereal. I have no parts to build a plane unfortunately. I tried.)
100_3580.jpg

Dayam, fly! This is awesome! How long did it take?

BTW, I love the shed. Lego Lego James must surely be chuffed. :)

Thanks!! I have to say, I'm chuffed myself. It was FUN to build.

Well, I did the vast majority of it between my two posts last night so about an hour. It took a while to photograph and post. I also built the shed after the responses and that was probably another 30-45 minutes. So altogether less than 2 hours. Structurally, it's simple, nothing more than a box. I think the stupid ugly car took longer than anything.

Good job flydiscovery, I must admit I was a bit angry when I found my parents had moved house and my mum had donated all my lego and huge meccano collection to charity, much of it the original 50's stuff my dad had as a kid :(

I really want it back now :lol:

Thanks!! I have to say, I'm chuffed myself. It was FUN to build.

Well, I did the vast majority of it between my two posts last night so about an hour. It took a while to photograph and post. I also built the shed after the responses and that was probably another 30-45 minutes. So altogether less than 2 hours. Structurally, it's simple, nothing more than a box. I think the stupid ugly car took longer than anything.
Bloody hell! I've spent more time replying to posts! :(

Bloody hell! I've spent more time replying to posts! :(

LOL. So have I. I'm not sure which is more productive, although I think I had more fun. I can say I'm getting too old to sit cross-legged on the floor though. It may have been more than 2 hours now that I look closely, but I really didn't watch the clock.

The most painful part of the whole project will be when I inevitably have to disassemble everything to get it back in the box. I could cry just thinking about it.

I'm sorry about your toys Waydee. That stinks. :-( My parents kept some of ours for various nieces/nephews/cousins, but this is my own stash, given by a close friend for my 20th birthday, some years ago.

Can I just say that the person who posted this on Geekologie and the responder calling themselves Giant Lenin are both big daft cocks. (Not you Dogbert!)
Firstly, he/she could NOT do better, second they got the numbers wrong and third, putting any info up about the interiors is totally uncool. Many of us are trying very hard to make this thing happen and to not ruin the surprise for everyone, then some git who wants to show off starts flapping their gums Grrrr! :mad:
I know the architect commented on the structural changes that had to happen, but it's his project (along with the designer), so he's more senior than some knob working on the site. This is a unique project, it's going to be brilliant when it's finished and I'm really proud to be part of it, so these cynical smartarses can just STFU & FTFO!

On a nicer note, Flydiscovery am loving your work! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
flydiscovery said:
Somehow I think the goal was to get CHILDREN playing with toys

Actually, I read in an interview (can't remember which one) he was hoping to get everyone playing with toys again. He'd especially like for families to play together. So I think he'd be quite pleased you build a miniature version of the Lego house. :)

:clap: for Fly!