Scotland trip starting next week - some questions

It seems you got a good agenda for your trip, but as an extra option you may want to consider the following in either direction.

Isle of Skye ? Kyle Railway costal scenic route (80 miles) ? Inverness ? Loch Ness & Monster

Details to download:
Inverness

Skye

?The Kyle Line? ? Railway from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh (near Isle of Skye)

Kyle Line Website said:
The Kyle line is one of the world's most scenic rail journeys from Inverness on the east coast of Scotland through to Kyle of Lochalsh on the west.

The views from the window are worth the fare alone but no matter where you are along its 80 miles, historic Scotland is only a few metres away.

The terminus at Kyle of Lochalsh is the crossing point for the Isle of Skye. Nowadays there is no ferry, however the bridge can be crossed on foot or by bus and is only a short distance from the station
Have a great trip
:)

EDIT: I should add that I have done the above and it is well worth it!

Last edited:
It seems you got a good agenda for your trip, but as an extra option you may want to consider the following in either direction.

Isle of Skye ? Kyle Railway costal scenic route (80 miles) ? Inverness ? Loch Ness & Monster

Details to download:
Inverness

Skye

?The Kyle Line? ? Railway from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh (near Isle of Skye)

If you're roundabout the highlands and islands, I would actually suggest a different railway line for scenery.

My suggestion would be the West Highland Line, from Fort William to Mallaig. Just another option. (You can get the ferry to Skye from Mallaig, although not to the main town).

once I figured out how to use a multi lane roundabout correctly everything else was easy :lol:
*Quick Hint Guide*
Assuming it's a four exit roundabout (Entering at 6 O'clock, with exits at 9, 12 and 3 o'clock) with a three lane entrance (for simplicities sake):

If you're exiting at 9 (or the first exit), get in the left lane and indicate (That may mean signal in the colonies) left on approach.

If you're exiting at 12 (or, at a more-than-four-exits roundybout if you're exiting anything other than last exit) middle lane on approach and don't indicate until you're passing the exit before the one you're taking.

If you're exiting at 3 (or the last exit) right lane and indicate right until you pass the exit before yours, then signal left.

And I must really say that the english drivers were all very patient and very polite ...
That applies to British drivers outside rush hour.

But if you're not used to driving on the wrong side, practise in the hours when the roads are quiet once and then you'll get used to it.

AND without the car the trip wouldn't have been half as good
Exactly!

If you only go where the train goes, you'll see nothing but American Tourists and towns geared to them. A car will let you see the country you came to see.
Regarding the pub and F1 thing, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless there is football on
That thought did occur, but I didn't want to admit that I didn't know if there was football on :cool:
Loch Ness & Monster[/COLOR][/B]
"Monster may not apply"

I may have been drinking, please bear this in mind when considering the above post.

Last edited:
snip
*lots of stuff about driving *
(which barely made sense to me)

"Monster may not apply"

I may have been drinking, please bear this in mind when considering the above post.

Ah, ^ as Soup? correctly tried to point out.
The Loch Ness Monster may not be there the same day as you.

I mean, it was a disappointing no-show the times I was there! :lol:

(Also, thanks but I am unable to reciprocate the +rep due to your previous awesome-ness or mysteries of the rep system or smthg?)

Regarding the pub and F1 thing, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless there is football on, or any other sport, since Formula One is pretty low down in the sporting chain here, in fact that is the case with motorsport in general. The chances are though, that even if there is nothing on, they will will have it on Sky Sports News, but you could always try and request it but I don't know how that will turn out.

Especially in Glasgow, in some places, I've always found that unless you talk football, people will give you a blank stare.

As a man who spend half his life in Glasgow pubs (kidding :rolleyes:) I'd recommend one in the city centre; on the 13th neither Rangers or Celtic are playing football so the pubs will be more lenient to show the F1 if you ask. Hearts are playing I think and there shite and no one will want the English footy on.

Glasgow's a great city; Transport Museum is good and free plus you can do on the citys underground which is ?2.50 for a all day ticket called a "Discovery"

In the central belt of Scotland trains are regular on weekdays and Saturdays; less so on weekends. Up north you'd best with the train too; maybe look into the sleeper to Oban from Glasgow?

You need any help then fire a pm and I'll do my best

Scots are very freindly towards tourists so if you get lost (Glasgows a grid city so its easy to navigate around) your in good hands

Last edited:
In the central belt of Scotland trains are regular on weekdays and Saturdays; less so on weekends. Up north you'd best with the train too; maybe look into the sleeper to Oban from Glasgow?

Don't think the sleeper goes from Oban to Glasgow - it goes from Scotland to London and vice versa. Normal trains run semi-regularly to Oban though.

Don't think the sleeper goes from Oban to Glasgow - it goes from Scotland to London and vice versa. Normal trains run semi-regularly to Oban though.

Bugger its Fort William it goes too. Always get confused between them :rolleyes:

That thought did occur, but I didn't want to admit that I didn't know if there was football on :cool:

I'm admitting right now that I haven't got a clue if there is any on at anytime, because, lets just say I'm not interested in football. :D

teeb said:
(You can get the ferry to Skye from Mallaig, although not to the main town).

Whilst that is a very nice ferry journey, it doesn't really make much sense to just go to Armadale on Skye to essentially come straight off again unless staying on Skye was an essential part of the journey. Which if it was, the 40 or so minute drive up to Portree is definetely worth it, albeit with not much up there. Going to Skye to stay would require a couple of days to take in everything.

Rushing up and down to see the country isn't the way to do it, wee bits at a time, dipping toes into the water as it were before taking the plunge.

Thanks for all your help! I chose not to rent a car for monetary reasons, but i promise i will return once my own car is back on the road to see all the things i miss out this time.

(this also serves as my farewell to this forum for the next 10 days)