James May: Poor James May can't afford a Ferrari

I can understand not buying a Ferrari because it's too expensive or over-hyped or unreliable or any of a half dozen reasons we've heard talked about, I mean, that's fine. They're all perfectly reasonable arguments. But to say at the age of 46 you're getting too old is just plain cobblers. He didn't look a plonker in the Shelby Mustang and he sure didn't look like one in the Bugatti Veyron. In fact, he's a damn fine specimen in pretty much whatever he drives. ;)

You're so right. I'm young, but if I were over 40 and thinking about buying a Ferrari, I would never say "I'm too old".

Last edited:
This is starting to look like a FG vs. Captain Slow episode of 'Airport Shopping Dare'. ;)

Go on, James, buy it! It's so preeeety.

*snicker*

*wonders what crap he'll tell us to buy in S14....*

Even if I could afford a Ferarri I'd not buy one, I'd look like a cock in all of them and they aren't really my thing.

I'd have a nice (far cheaper) Aston Martain V8 Vantage, the original one. Gorgeous car, perhaps not the same leauge as a Ferrairi but I know which I'd prefer to drive down some twisty, country lanes!;)
Come on James, buy an Aston... you know you want to, and can afford it!:lol:

This is starting to look like a FG vs. Captain Slow episode of 'Airport Shopping Dare'. ;)

Go on, James, buy it! It's so preeeety.

*snicker*

*wonders what crap he'll tell us to buy in S14....*

It worked on Jeremy.

Airport shopping dare?

Airport shopping dare?

James stated in his article
In fact, the last V8 Ferrari I fancied with unqualified lust was the F355.
and
Sadly, and despite what I know some of you think, I don't have anything like the wherewithal to buy a 458, so that means I'm reduced to the "Ferrari for Mondeo money" exercise that classic car writers espouse but don't actually try for themselves, or they'd know it isn't true. But I have seen very tasty examples of the 308 ? another car so seductively shaped it could make an archbishop kick a nativity scene to pieces ? going for about ?25,000. I could have one of those.

So, to make his decision making even more difficult, I have been doing some searching on the internet. We all know (or at least some of us do anyways) that the 312 Mondial was crap, the 348 handled poorly, and the Testarossa was in Miami Vice. Adding to that, the 328 was just a reworked 308, so we'll leave that one out too. So, that leaves us with the 355.

I haven't looked in the UK but, when I looked tonight at 355 prices in the USA, I can only say I was shocked. Only 2 years ago they were still selling from about $70,000 - $100,000. Here we have some Ebay listings that seem to be going for far, far less than that.

?27,584

?31,884

?33,788

So, for just a fraction more, James could have (at least if he lived in the US) a 355 Spider, with its sexy pop-up headlights, gated metal Ferrari shifter, and fold down roof to enjoy all the aural experience that the hard-top or targa top would rob him of. They're only a fraction more than his target expenditure, and James is a TV presenter, he deserves it. I think he really should treat himself to the Ferrari experience.

Lets face it as well, the 355 was one of the last great Ferrari's. You could buy it with a proper manual transmission (clink, clink), it had pop-up headlights, driver assists were minimal and, it went 0-60 in under 5 seconds so it is still very much a fast car today. I was in High School when this car came out and, coincidentally, I still have the Motortrend that I first read about it in.

So James, come on, you CAN afford the 355. Just think of all that you're missing out on!

I can see one reason he can invoke to not own an F355: Jeremy Clarkson's already had one. He would look totally in his element in a 308/328 targa, though.

I can see one reason he can invoke to not own an F355: Jeremy Clarkson's already had one. He would look totally in his element in a 308/328 targa, though.

That car was in Magnum PI, which is worse than being owned by JC.

That car was in Magnum PI, which is worse than being owned by JC.

I like Magnum, PI. That would be a reason to get one in my book.