Official Discussion Thread of the 2009 Formula 1 Season

Probably a big ass fine. Not the $100 mil that Mclaren got but not a slapon the wrist either.

Why wouldn't it be as big as (or bigger) than the McLaren-fine was? Rigging the race and putting driver and marshals in potential life-threatening danger sounds quite serious to me.

a) It's not McLaren
b) if they fined Renault too much, they'd face the issue of Renault pulling out of F1

My guess is that they'll pull out at the end of the year anyway, regardless of what the outcome of this potential scandal is.

His ride will probably be an STR of Alguersuari/Buemi, but fully updated, courtesy of Red Bull.

His ride will probably be an STR of Alguersuari/Buemi, but fully updated, courtesy of Red Bull.
Basically an updated RB5 to which stage ?

I feel STR is such a poor thing... outshined its A team last year and it seems RedBull is screwing them over this year.

I think the most screwing is done by Ferrari, selling them pre-used engines.

I think.... its just them running 4 out of their 8, continuously ?

You never know, they might have 2 brand new engines left each at the garage when chequered flag goes down at Abu Dhabi....

You never know, they might have 2 brand new engines left each at the garage when chequered flag goes down at Abu Dhabi....

What good would that be?

My guess is that they'll pull out at the end of the year anyway, regardless of what the outcome of this potential scandal is.

Conchorde agreement?

Rumours are building up more and more about Sebastien Loeb contesting the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

I think it is basically done.

Ferrari make them just keep using the same engines for testing which I imagine is in their (STR) engine contract/agreement.

What good would that be?

They have more Rev's and can use the engine to the full capacity while otheres will certainly be on their last engine and wont or cant run the engine to capacity.

I don't think I'd work at Toro Rosso if I was given the chance. The whole team knows that they're a 2nd team, and then they don't get proper stuff, and then they don't get the best drivers, the morale there must be like "we're only here because the boss says so" or something like that

I don't think I'd work at Toro Rosso if I was given the chance. The whole team knows that they're a 2nd team, and then they don't get proper stuff, and then they don't get the best drivers, the morale there must be like "we're only here because the boss says so" or something like that

You would work there if you love F1 and want to be there.

Whats the point of working there if you dont want to be there. Doesnt make sense.

Well, I know what you're saying, but it's like everything is going against them. It's pretty tough every weekend. Week in week out.. I feel sorry for them a bit

Well, I know what you're saying, but it's like everything is going against them. It's pretty tough every weekend. Week in week out.. I feel sorry for them a bit

Yer it is tough but as the saying goes "Anything can happen in F1 and usually does" and "If is F1 backwards" as seen by a great 1-2 victory for Jordan at SPA all that time ago and Minardi Australian GP and all the other better examples.

Remember STR won this even last year. Who would have thought that last year? Not me.

That's true.. Maybe it'll repeat again at Monza again. Alguesuari win? :D

Toro rosso are the real backmarkers this year. I expect FI to be in the points again this weekend, despite Fisi going to Ferrari.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78399

Mercedes set to buy into Brawn GP

By Jonathan Noble Monday, September 7th 2009, 08:03 GMT

Brawn GP's Formula 1 future is poised for a major boost, with Mercedes-Benz close to a deal to take equity in the team.

With the world championship leaders already having secured sponsorship funding for the next few years, as revealed by AUTOSPORT last month, the team's outlook now looks even better following discussions with the German car manufacturer.

Reports first emerged about the plans this morning in The Daily Telegraph, and sources have confirmed to AUTOSPORT that talks are at an advanced stage for the car company to take a shareholding in the team.

It comes on the back of Mercedes-Benz's increased profile as a customer engine supplier over the past season - with the team set to provide power-units to McLaren, Force India, Brawn and, perhaps, Red Bull Racing in 2010.

The move is not, however, an attempt by Mercedes-Benz to move away from its long-standing commitment to partner McLaren - and it is instead believed to be part of the car manufacturer's attempt to increase its presence in F1.

A McLaren spokesman told AUTOSPORT that the team had no qualms about Mercedes-Benz's plans for expanding its involvement with its rivals in the sport.

"Mercedes-Benz's engine supply contract with McLaren is a very long-standing one - it's in its 15th consecutive year, in fact - and it will continue to run for many years to come," said the spokesman.

"However, we're supportive of our partner's plans regarding engine supply of other teams in Formula 1, and we were delighted earlier this year that a Mercedes-Benz engine supply deal was able to be done with Brawn, thereby saving that team from likely extinction.

"Force India, too, has blossomed as a result of its engine supply/engineering consultancy collaboration with Mercedes-Benz and McLaren - as Giancarlo Fisichella's impressive second place in the recent Belgian Grand Prix showed all too clearly.

"Both McLaren and Mercedes-Benz remain extremely satisfied with our Formula 1 collaboration, which has netted two drivers' world championships and one constructors' world championship as well as dozens of grand prix victories.

"As ever, we'll be aiming to add to that win tally together at this weekend's Italian Grand Prix - although we never under-estimate our opposition and the competition will undoubtedly be tough."

Mercedes-Benz itself denied that the plan was for a full-blown buyout of Brawn, but did not rule out an equity-type deal.

"It's our policy not to comment on rumours and we want to point out that we have longstanding contracts with McLaren," a spokesperson for the company told The Daily Telegraph.

Mercedes-Benz is poised to confirm its engine plans for 2010 at the Italian Grand Prix, although there is fresh uncertainty now surrounding whether or not Red Bull Racing will make the switch from Renault to Mercedes-Benz.

Although the deal had appeared to be all but done in recent weeks, sources suggest that the contract has not yet been signed - and it is not impossible that the team could actually stick with its current partner for another year.

Williams is looking at changing its engine supply deal for next year, having asked Toyota to be released from its contract, and had been expected to switch to Renault. However, there remains a chance the Grove-based outfit could be in the running for a Mercedes-Benz deal if Red Bull Racing opts not to take it.

So F1 might be on its way to becoming Formula Mercedes-Benz. :lol: