My old E-class Coupe

For some reason I read 'E-Class' as 'E-type' and immediately thought 'Oh yeah another troll claiming he owns an old Jag, then came in and realised I'd got it wrong. Even typed them the wrong way in this post, then realised.

So since I'm here in a place I normally avoid (Mercedes threads) I'll comment. It's great to see a Merc that isn't silver, the red looks really good. It's really not showing it's ago at all. What's going on with the red strips on the air vent controls? Never seen anything like that before.

Thanks, basically the red stripes just indicate temperature, when you roll the dial upwards from that position it goes grey for a bit and then blue for the A/C range. I suppose it's like this so it's easier to set at a glance.

Some news on the 124,

first, thought the summer wheels looked so good I had to have that style in the winter as well. I managed to find a set of replicas in nice condition, very few marks on them. Problem was they came with some huuuuge ass rubber, I believe they were 235x65's, wouldn't even fit under the car with those on. They were studded Pirelli winters in fair condition so it was a shame to have to let those go. (They'd been under an S-class.)

Got some Michelin X-Ice 2 studless tyres (205x55). My first adventure into the world of studless winter tyres. So far I only have good things to say about them - VERY quiet, relaxed and predictable behavior near and beyond the limit, and of course don't need to worry about accidentally sending those studs flying. I'm not lying when I say there were less than 1/3, perhaps even 1/4 of studs left on my old Continentals. They were on the original 15" Merc alloys which were in pretty bad nick.

I'd post a pic, but well, the new set of winters looks identical to the set of summers you see in the first post :p

Also... An upcoming project, will get done next week...

14347_191954059152_675134152_2720702_6155723_n.jpg

TA DA! Can't wait.

Nice car and video. 15.4 quarter mile?! Wow. Much faster than I would have thought.

I can't wait to hear it with the new exhaust.

Last edited:
Hammer time!

AMG_Hammer_494.jpg

But just wondering..

DSC_2001.jpg

Why do you have shift markers on the speedometer if you have an auto?

And is that boost I hear in the video?

Last edited:
Nice. I hope that the Magnaflow sounds good (hint post videos hint). You should get a new intake to match too!

Thanks :p I'll post videos as soon as I have it installed. I've already shot a "before" video, but I'd imagine it's pretty boring to watch, as there's no noise at all!

Oh, and about the intake, you reminded me the original air filter was getting, well, old, so I thought I'd put in a K&N one:
33-2705.jpg

There was the remote possibility it would improve intake sounds... Well, I don't see (hear) the difference. :roll: Anyway, you're probably talking about a complete intake overhaul... And you're right, that would up the power, not just the noise.. There have been cases of some pretty radical intake mods but even the AMG M104 has an original looking airbox. I'm guessing here, but overhauling that into something nicer would cost $$$$, so for the time being, I'm sticking with a different filter only. :p

Why do you have shift markers on the speedometer if you have an auto?

I'm not sure, really :)
My mom's 190E also has them, I'd imagine the reason is either saving mfg costs in not having to manufacture so many different sets of gauges, or (more likely) they wanted to have the markers for the driver's reference when he's either kicking down, or using the shift lever to limit upchanges (you can force the car into the 4, 3 or 2 smallest gears from the gearlever).

And is that boost I hear in the video?

Nah... It's just a loud fuel pump. :D At least I think it's the fuel pump?!

As for the AMG Hammer... Anyone want to give me one of those?
Had a look at eBay... Even there is not one for sale!

Last edited:
Great car!

The same markings were on the w126. They are there to mark the driver when it will shift up, if I remember correctly.

New catback is done and all installed, it sounds alright, actually it's a lot like the original muffler in character, just louder and clearer. Makes a quiet, low, rather blunt and simple popping at idle, and a loud, deep, resonating hum at 2000 RPM (resonance point) and a nice, composed, bassy sound above that.

It's definitely got a more powerful and sporty character to it. I'd like to think it's slightly more sophisticated than just a loud boyracer exhaust, even though I have to say in loudness it's close to entering boyracer territory.

It does drone slightly at 60 / 80 kph but that's not the exhaust's fault, it would be fine if those speeds weren't in the resonance zone RPM-wise. It settles down again at 100 kph.

I'll try and get a vid up asap. It's going to contain a takeoff, drive-by and standing still revving so if you want cockpit/driving footage, let me know and I'll shoot some.

REMOVE THE CAT.

Hell no. It's loud enough as it is.

A cat is not a muffler, removing it won't make the car much louder. It will make the car more powerful though ;)

Nice merc, I've always loved the looks of the W124 Coupe. Almost all 80's and early 90's coupe mercs look great with the pilarless doors. I kinda like the colour too, altough I prefer a silver or black when speaking of older mercs. Some soundcheck videos would be great :D

And I agree with posmo on this. The sound won't get too loud when removing the cats and the car will breathe better > a bit more grunt.

Last edited:
A cat is not a muffler, removing it won't make the car much louder. It will make the car more powerful though ;)

Theoretically, any construction in the exhaust that does something to the exhaust will restrict flow, and also muffle the noise.

Even moving from theory into google results, removing the cat may increase power, but will most definitely increase noise.

Also, my car isn't actually that old, so the cat may not be utter shit. The car may even be new enough for the engine to run better with the cat on. And removing it may produce complications.

Even disregarding all that, there's no chance I'm going to risk not passing the emissions test.

Also, to add to the topic of noise, when I was having the muffler put in I took a listen to the exhaust sounds with only the resonator and cat on. It wasn't that loud. Just goes to show, on a car like this the muffler isn't the only thing muffling exhaust noise.

The engine will not run better with the cat on.

Perioid.

Also, what you need to do is make the section of the exhaust with the cat removable, so you can pop it in for the inspection, and remove it right after :)

So I let it stretch its legs today a bit at the airfield. Did the quarter mile in 15.37 seconds and top speed of 207 kph at 1500 meters.

207? My 190E with a measly 2.0 does that (GPS verified, almost 220 on speedo) and still felt like there was a little left to give when I saw the signs of yet another Baustelle ahead.

And yes, the markings on the speedo tell you the shiftpoints.

207? My 190E with a measly 2.0 does that (GPS verified, almost 220 on speedo) and still felt like there was a little left to give when I saw the signs of yet another Baustelle ahead.

Nice, but how is that possible when, according to Wikipedia, the 190E 2.0 has a spec top speed of 195 kph, which would take a lot longer than 1500 meters to achieve? Unless you've done performance mods which makes it an apples to oranges comparison as mine is bone stock.

What was your actual top speed according to GPS/whatever? As you know speedos are wildly inaccurate at those speeds.

Oh and one more thing: if I wanted to go fast, I'd have bought some shit car that just went fast. ;)

And yes, the markings on the speedo tell you the shiftpoints.

Yes. That was never in question. :p

Last edited: