Windows 7, so who's tried it?

Does anyone here know how to get the wireless switch working properly on an Asus? Its the only thing irritating me atm about windows 7.

I have an Asus F9DC...

So what you are saying is that the Home 7 has the Media Center functionality, but prof doesn't...but then it's back in Ultimate?

Professional is not "above" home, rather one is for home use, and the other for business. Ultimate has both.

Who need media centre?

i haz pro, had vista home premium with media centre for nearly 2 years and used it like once (that was by accident).

If you stream media from the computer to an Xbox MC is a godsend. It's also quite helpful for HTPCs, giving a nice pretty, easy to see interface, until you have to back out to manage torrents.

If you use media center, it's wonderful to have. It's a very good DVR program, to say the least, and it's free. I've been using it for years and never had any real problems or complaints. Now, I don't use it for videos and pictures and radio and all the other stuff it has, I use it strictly for TV, and it's exceedingly good for that. Why pay for Tivo or your TV company's DVR service when you can get it (which is probably better) for free built into your computer?

Last edited:
^ I had one of those going at one point but it was kind of pointless to have a Windows virtual machine running in Windows.

I've got Enterprise on all my work computers, but I may grab a copy of Ultimate for when I build the new HTPC.

Are you buying that copy with monies? If so, what capabilitie of Ultimate are you looking for? I'm genuinely curious as from what I can tell, the only thing ultimate has on Home Premium is being able to switch between languages, and some sort of built-in encryption for portable storage...which isn't worth the $$$ upgrade for me, since as a home user the professional version has features I have no use for, not having a hone network, besides my desktop and my netbook.

If I install Vista 32, can I upgrade to 7 64 or will I need to start with Vista Home 64 (if there is such a thing)..can't seem to find a retail version, only "for system builders" version.

My guess is you cannot upgrade a 32 bits system with a 64 bits DVD, it wouldn't really make a difference but I don't think Microsoft allows it.

So, basically here are my options, if I want to end up with a 64bit Windows 7:
1) Buy Ultimate 64, which if I understood correctly, comes with a 64bit disc as well as the 32, then upgrade to 7 (which should be free, if I understand correctly) for $319.00
2) Wait until 10/22 for the pre-order of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for $199.00

Do I understand it correctly? What am I missing?

You can upgrade any version of XP or Vista to any equivalent or higher version of 7. You just can't do an upgrade install from 32 to 64-bit; you'll need to start from scratch.

My understanding of Microsoft's upgrade methods stops there, sorry :-/

*laughs* no worries. I've got both versions in my "shopping cart" since this morning, and am just trying to get all questions answered before I click "proceed to purchase." If I can save $120 by just waiting for 7 since I don't think there's enough benefit to Ultimate for me, that's fine...I'll lose out on the lifetime warranty on my motherboard (have to electronically register it within 30 days of purchase, and I already have it) but that's fine.

However, if there's something I'm not seeing, or a benefit of Ultimate I'm unaware of or an available version I didn't understand, I'm just making sure...

Sorry guys. I know I kinda hijacked this thread, but I appreciate everyone's help so far. My best friend built his computer last year, and he ended up buying the wrong PSU, the wrong memory, the wrong OS, etc etc etc. I only want to have to do it once.

You can upgrade any version of XP or Vista to any equivalent or higher version of 7. You just can't do an upgrade install from 32 to 64-bit; you'll need to start from scratch.

So was my previous "Option 1/Option 2" post correct?
http://forums.finalgear.com/technology/windows-7-so-whos-tried-it-33090/page-38/#post1105278

Last edited:
If you can buy Vista now, and it comes with a free upgrade to 7, then you're fine. it doesn't have to be ultimate, and it doesn't have to be specifically 64 bit.

With Vista, only ultimate comes with the 64-bit discs, but MS will mail you 64-bit versions of whatever version you buy. All versions of 7 will come with both, IIRC.

Got it. Thanks! So basically, do I want to buy Vista Home 32 now, run that. Then when MS has mailed me the 64-bit disc, install that. Then when 7 is available, upgrade to that. *laughs* Maybe I'll just wait the month and a half for 7. :p

Thanks again.