Idiocy claims another victim...

I'd say haggle an E-Type somehow out of them, even though it will lead to Spectre's financial ruin.

Sue them immediately. Start proceeding with an attorney and you will get more than any amount of anger could produce.

Sue them immediately. Start proceeding with an attorney and you will get more than any amount of anger could produce.

He seems to have very good relationship with this dealer, so I think he wants to give them a chance to fix their wrong doing before he starts some nasty lawsuit.

Idiot. They should do an IQ test on salespeople before employing them. All the best.

Back home for a bit. The dealership will be sending someone to pick me up soon.

Now this, this is where you murder with lawsuits. Demand an E-type. They have murdered your car you deserve an E-type.

Some people would do that.

Those people are not me.

Here's how it works with me: Something like this happens, well, it is unfortunate. Unless it was done with malice aforethought, I am reasonable and amenable to appropriate and equitable compensation for my loss. I don't automatically reach for the lawyers, nor do I figure that I've just hit the lawsuit lotto. That sort of thinking is what has gotten this country into the sad shape it is in now.

However, the reason, equitability, and willingness to negotiate is, as they say, a limited time offer. With me, you get one shot to live up to your responsibilities as incurred. One shot and one shot only. If you do your best to do so, all will go well. If you try to screw me or play games... well, I hear Antarctica is nice this time of year. Out will come the not-so-nice/reasonable/flexible side, along with the lawyers and whatever other hellish nightmares I can summon up; you'll be wishing you had moved to Antarctica.

For those that are wondering why I haven't mentioned the specific dealership reponsible: This was because of what I mentioned above; I was giving them a chance to rectify the situation before I sent the Internet after them - all the more important in this depressed economy. The innocent employees do not deserve to lose their jobs because some yahoo and (apparently) his relative in management couldn't follow the rules. As long as the management took care of the problem, there would be no need to slam them. This isn't a pattern of behavior with them, there's no need to ruin their business... if they did the right thing.

I am very happy to say that they have resolved the problem. They managed to find me a couple of X300 XJRs in the local network, had me select one, then had a couple of employees drive over and bring it back. Cosmetically, it isn't in as good a shape as my dear departed car... but then, that's what the large check in my pocket is for (well, that and all the performance mods); it's also what the parts and service department credit I negotiated is for. Mechanically it seems pretty good; it is another 95, has 102K on the clock (less than my old one) and does need a few things. They are takinog care of the big one right now - they are installing a new-from-crate 4L80E to take the place of the one that's in the car (and to compensate me for the recently rebuilt one in my deceased car). They kept some of the service techs over to do this after hours; the task should be finished shortly and I'll be driving it home late tonight. The manager is coming by in person to pick me up and take me back over in a bit to supervise the last of the work and to take delivery of the car.

The old one was black exterior with black interior. The new one is black exterior, two tone (black/gray) interior. The car, the compensation, and the parts are all acceptable; once all the paperwork catches up, I will consider the matter closed. I'll post pictures in the morning.

The XJR is dead; long live the XJR!

Last edited:
Damn. That's a quick and thorough resolution. Nice job.

Wow, that was fast. Sounds like it really worked out fairly well for you.

Props to the dealership for owing up and props to you Spectre for not trying not to milk them for all you can.

I expected nothing less. Good to hear it's worked out to your advantage.

See my post above. I find this method to have more success and be more ethical than just reaching for the lawyers straight off (in cases where it truly was an accident).

I do agree with the anger issue, though. Going into such situations angry is never good. You miss things, you don't think clearly, you make mistakes. Harness your anger and rage, make them work for you. Go in exuding calm and self-control, use your energy to project an air of confidence and implacability; don't let them see your anger or rage, but don't buckle under to them tamely.

Few things in life are as frightening to most people as someone who speaks calmly and quietly about an issue that would have most people bouncing around off the walls shaking with rage, shouting their lungs out. People know how to deal with that.

They do not know how to deal with someone who is calm, collected, speaks in a flat and unaffected voice telling them exactly what is going to happen, when, and how they're going to do it. They really don't.

Well I was gonna say shit that sucks, and it's amazing how you stayed so level headed. But, it was all resolved in less than 5-6 hours? Holy fuck, you sure got the message across to them clearly.

congrats to that, can i have what's left of your old one:p

if there is something that scares the ever-loving crap outta me is someone that is cool, calm and collected all the time

Last edited: