The new Mclaren is here...

I am sure it will be grand, but it looks pretty generic.

Glad I'm not the only one to think this.

I'm slightly dissappointed to be honest. It looks rather fussy in the detailing.

^ I'm with you two. Though I think the color is sexy, the looks don't do it for me coming from Mclaren. At first glance it reminds me of an Ascari, which then makes think of the A10, which I would much rather have. I'm not saying I think its ugly by any means but I think Mclaren could have been more radical with it.

Last edited:
So wait spy gate has carried over to the road car side?? :p

No I'm just kidding, but the Macca looks epic I have to say wonder if they'll race these at Le Mans?

sorry to be brutally honest but thats a bit disappointing. they had 17 years and this is what they come up with? maybe its not all that bad..maybe its jus the front bumper and the tail pipes in the back that kinda make it look ... dare i say.. ugly.

sorry mclaren ill go with the f1 over this for looks.

I really want to see how it fares on the track. I mean after all McLaren is mainly known for it's racing especially in F1 so I wonder if this thing could tear up The Ring.

Fantastic! It'll be great to see this and the 458 go head to head. I think this will be a lot less "press that button to make it do that", and will be more "road, seat, arse". Which is a good thing. The 458 has a pit limiter for christ sake!

Not quite sure why they named it the Mp4/12 though...this is the MP4 12:

2350573404_731852a636.jpg

And it didn't win the championship. Unlike the MP4/13 and 14...so why didn't they name it after one of those? Or even the MP4/23?

Last edited:
It could easily be an Ascari. Nothing wrong with the Ascari, but it should look like something else.

Nah, too generic, Noble-ish, needs to look more dangerous.

Meh sorry, next gen supercars are like this:

1. SLS

2. 458

3. M600

4. MP4-12C

It's certainly a very clean looking thing, but it's just a bit too generic - it's lacking drama and excitement.

Agreed with all the otehr guys... it just lacks that Mclaren quality to it. You expect something groundbreaking to top the Mclaren F1.

But leave it to Mclaren to overcomplicate the naming systems. They're gonna call their first road car the Mclaren F1 even though it's not an F1 car. And then they name this one after a PARTICULAR F1 car for no apparent reason... even though it's already another car.

Whatever.

At least they picked the, IMO, most beautiful F1 car of the last 15 years to name it after.

Spot the difference :p

McLaren
mclarenp112_01.jpg

Lotus Evora
2010_lotus_evora_large_blue.jpg

It is a very good looking car though. The clean lines are quite nice.
And that rev counter/digital info looks fantastic!

Fantastic! It'll be great to see this and the 458 go head to head. I think this will be a lot less "press that button to make it do that", and will be more "road, seat, arse". Which is a good thing. The 458 has a pit limiter for christ sake!

Not quite sure why they named it the Mp4/12 though...this is the MP4 12:

2350573404_731852a636.jpg

And it didn't win the championship. Unlike the MP4/13 and 14...so why didn't they name it after one of those? Or even the MP4/23?

I think they know that the car is going to be possessed for a loooooooooooong time by engine gremlins. :p

EDIT: The reason why it's named after the MP4-12 is, apparently, that it is fitted with a "brake steer" system similar to the one on the 1997 F1 car. A system which was banned...

Last edited:
My take on the new McLaren is that it looks like a combination of a Lotus Evora and a Koenigsegg CCX, maybe a hint of Audi R8 in the back end of the car.
However, it is still worthy of being labelled as a supercar. This could very well be "the car to beat" in Uk for who knows how many years when Gordon Murray creates another legend.