Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

No hard feelings at all, I just expected a cheerful reception, not a name bashing. :lol:

:lol: FG staying on topic? Nah.

btw, have fun with your new magic picture box

...but at least it?s not "Kiss X3".
That naming scheme is ultra-ghey.

OK, new topic: where do you guys go for inspiration?

I'm stuck on 1x and Elusive @ Flickr (no idea why, I just stumbled upon her work and liked what I saw), but I need MOAR!

Last edited:
The 190XProB is probably the best deal in tripods right now. Reasonable price, reasonable weight, reasonable sturdiness. I have one with the 486RC2 ball-head. Get the carbon fiber version if you can afford it.

How comfortable is it to carry around, I'm a little worried that it will be too big for me when it's folded, even though I'm not one of the shortest but I'm still a girl :p

Secondly I'm 'confused' about what head I should get if I choose to get that tripod, currently I'm looking at the 488RD2 ball-head and the 391RC2 as I'm more 'experienced' in using those kind of heads but I don't know if the ball-head would be better :unsure:

How comfortable is it to carry around, I'm a little worried that it will be too big for me when it's folded, even though I'm not one of the shortest but I'm still a girl
That's OK, I'm 5'7" and 140 lbs. You do the math ;)

I actually don't carry it around if I'm not specifically planning to use it, but that has more to do with my style and process than it does the weight.

Secondly I'm 'confused' about what head I should get if I choose to get that tripod, currently I'm looking at the 488RD2 ball-head and the 391RC2 as I'm more 'experienced' in using those kind of heads but I don't know if the ball-head would be better
I wouldn't have anything but a ball-head. Since the 488RC2 has a separate yaw tension control, that will cover you for any panning or panorama work.

Another Random Thought: Gaaah! Stock photos, what to do, what to do... OK, so, much earlier this year, I did a bunch of shooting at the local winter carnival (not hired, I went there to shoot for fun). A town staff member (whom I already know... small town, everyone knows everyone) asked me if they could have the photos for the town's "Photo Library" (basically a folder on the town's file server where they can grab photos out of at any time for advertising, etc.). The discussion kind of petered out into nothing as work got busy (for both of us). Now, she is asking for a few specific photos that they want to use for advertising in the annual CAA travel guide book.

So, half of me is thinking, "W00T!!! CAA!!! NATIONAL ADVERTISING!!!!1111!!" (assuming I can get a credit printed). The other half of me is thinking, "What good is it for everyone to know me if all they know me as is the photographer who does everything for free?"

By the way she's asking, I don't think the town is expecting to pay anything. She actually expects to just be able to use them because a town staff member downloaded a copy of the webpage (from my website) containing the thumbnails :\

Suggestions? I really need to get back to her with an answer by tomorrow.

Last edited:
nothing free ever

Except for giving advice to friends, or projects that don't involve someone other than you making money, the advice is the same for any field.

Ren Kockwell on ultra wide angles said:
...otherwise the only good photos you'll probably get will be from dumb luck.
:rolleyes:

Dick Dickwell Dickity Dickhead said:
Canon SD980:
The End of the SLR?
... because nobody cares about depth of field :rolleyes:

... or image quality, long exposures, real manual control, subject-following AF ...

Small correction: I think it may actually be an article in CAA, not an ad (not quite sure), but I don't think that makes much of a difference in terms of payment. Also, Ramseus, do you know anything about model releases in Manitoba/Canada? The focus of these photos are people.

Last edited:
I tried to find some real information on the subject a little while ago, but didn't really find anything. However, you do need a signed release for anything that gets published. You can get sued for privacy violation/making money from someone's likeness without their permission if you don't have a release.

I tried to find some real information on the subject a little while ago, but didn't really find anything.
That's exactly what I'm trying to do right now and I'm not coming up anything either.

Last edited:
Holy crap! Leica Noctilux 50mm f0,95 It outperforms the human eye in therms of light sensitivity.... :O $10'000

Noctilux-M-50mm-f0.95-ASPH.jpg

And apparently the Leica S2 is out, $23'000, as well as it's super duper expensive lenses...

leica-s-system.jpg

It's Leica, man.. Leica is the BMW of phtoography.

If Leica is BMW, Hasselblad is what? Maybach? :lol:

EDIT: Just for fun, we could associate car brands with camera brands. Someone willing to help?

Well I think Canon and Nikon would be Honda and Toyota.

Olympus is Alfa Romeo. Different, sexy, weird. Pentax is Volkswagen. Solid. dependable.. Samsung is Skoda. Making solid, dependable Pentaxes with a Samsung badge, selling it for less. Kodak is GM. Used to be one of the biggest names in business. Used to, that's what's important. Tamron and Sigma is Hyundai and Kia, nothing wrong, but rubbish badges. Sony. Well, Sony is Opel. Middle of the road, quite unasuming.

:)

Well, it doesn't break. That's Leica. Modern day Leicas has loads of problems. So I think we'll say Leica's Fiat. Small, unasuming, unreliable and nippy with mediocre performance, but still quite likable.

;)

Edit: Oh, and the 5D is a Trabant. Made of cardboard. :D