Crashgate

Q & A with Flavio Briatore

By Jonathan Noble Friday, September 11th 2009, 16:31 GMT

Q. Is this the biggest crisis you have been involved in in your whole life, because there are huge allegations at stake here - some of which have been aimed at your personally?

Flavio BriatoreFlavio Briatore: I hope it is not against me personally, because the fact is that we put a plan today in the criminal court in Paris against the two Piquets. The fact that we put a plan for blackmail [action] against the two Piquets, means I think we are very confident that the truth will come out.

Q. But blackmail is a very serious charge to make against somebody?

FB: We have enough confidence, and our lawyers ? myself and Renault ? we have confidence about this happening.

Q. Can you confirm the nature of the blackmail ? is it true that Piquet Sr. approached you that he would go to the FIA with evidence if you did not reward his son with a new contract?

FB: You know what. I don't think it is correct today to confirm what is the plan to be put against the Piquets. I think it is enough, I tell you, if myself and Renault decide to put the criminal plans to the two Piquets in the high court of Paris, I think that is enough. I don't want to comment why ? or prove it. If we have done it, it is because we have enough confidence ? about 80 percent of confidence.

Q. So why have you only started speaking publicly about the matter today, which is a fortnight since the allegations were first aired?

FB: When we have this inquisition from the FIA, they asked for us not to speak to anybody. We sent a statement that we are working with our solicitors, and lawyers, for all the evidence we have. It is not simple as Renault to put plans against blackmail for somebody. We had a meeting with Renault, we saw all the evidence we had and after we decide, after three or four days, we were ready. I think what we tried to do was to be ready with those plans.

We are sure that we have enough evidence to put the plans to the two Piquets in the criminal court. We also needed the authorisation as well of Renault, as they are not a little company. You need to go through there, maybe somebody was not there as they were travelling. We tried to do everything that was possible to achieve the solution. Now we have done it.

Q. Can we talk about some of the specifics? Nelson had said there was a meeting on the Sunday of Singapore with you and Pat Symonds where you discussed a deliberate safety car, that Pat took him to one side to show him where to crash on the circuit, and that after the race you said 'thank you' to him. Can you talk about that? Did he just make this all up?

FB: If, if, we put the plans for blackmail [action] against somebody then it is because I don't want to talk about the specifics. The fact that we put the criminal plans to the Piquets is because I don't want to go into the specifics as it is part of the World Motor Sport Council.

If you see my statement, and I don't think it is out already! I don't think it is out, but if you read my statement it is very clear that I answered all the questions. I don't know if it will be out tomorrow, I don't know if it is coming out! I don't think my statement will be leaked.

Q. Did a meeting take place?

FB: I have put everything into my statement.

Q. Did that meeting occur?

FB: I have answered all these questions. I was very clear in Spa. The FIA have my statement, and it's quite clear.

Q. Will this case go through the courts before the FIA WMSC meeting?

FB: I'm not sure about that. I don't know the speed of the criminal court.

Q. Are you confident you will win the case on September 21?

FB: It's not a question of confidence, it's a question of presenting our case, our defence. I feel really upset, really sad. What you have seen with the leak, everything was against Renault. Wherever it has come, it has caused big damage to Renault, and the members of Renault.

It's not just me and the drivers, it's the 500 to 600 people working for Renault, and making Renault think of not being part of this world any more.

Q. Why do you think Nelson Piquet crashed deliberately?

FB: Nelson has crashed 17 times.

Q. Why did you give him a drive for another year if he was so bad?

FB: I didn't have anybody else. I had an option to take Nelson after the 30th of September, and I didn't take it.

Q. What are your feelings towards Nelson and his father at the moment?

FB: I feel Nelsinho is a very spoiled guy. Every time he is racing it is because he owns the team as well. He is very fragile. We tried everything. What you want is only performance.

Q. But if he is so spoiled, why did you take him on as his manager?

FB: Nelson's father asked me to take him. It was quite simple, and he had had a good season in GP2. Him and Hamilton were pretty much together.

If you look at his first year, he was second in Germany, and he was all right in his first year. But I know only in Brazil, that Fernando was ready for us because we were still negotiating between Ferrari, etc, etc. I had in mind to put Romain in the car, but I believed he was too young. This is no secret.

In 2008 Nelson was making 1.5 million dollars a year. I renewed the contract at one million. I put the clause in the contract that if he is not performing he would be out in Germany. If somebody had done me a favour I would have done something different.

Q. During these difficult times for the team, has there been any moment when you have thought about resigning?

FB: We already had a difficult time after the race in Budapest. We didn't believe it was fair what the stewards did to us because it was a normal accident. It happens all the time.

So what happened in Budapest was really hard for us. We wouldn't have let the driver go if the tyre was not on properly. To be disqualified for the race in Spain, there was a lot of bad press for Renault. It was already very hard for Renault. We spent all of August preparing to defend ourselves for the appeal. We won the appeal, but it was very unfair what happened to Renault.

Q. Have you ever heard of a team issuing an instruction to a driver to crash?

FB: No. Never. Fernando only won the race because Massa had a problem, Kubica had a problem. There were six or seven problems.

I think Barrichello stopped in the same place as Piquet. What is possible on lap 14, with 40 laps to go, to determine somebody winning the race. There was another pit stop, another safety car. On lap 14, how is it possible to know what is going to happen? What is possible that on lap 14 you know what is going on?.

Q. The stakes here are very high though, aren't they. You could be banned from F1 because of this?

FB: You know what, I don't need to look for a new job. I am pretty much happy for what I am and I'm not looking for a salary.

Q. But you've got big ambitions in F1?

FB: I don't think so that I have that big ambitions. What I decide to do in Formula 1 is try with FOTA to put straight Formula 1 and make sure everything is clear, everything is correct. The deal that we signed with FOTA...

Q. Are you worried that they might throw you out?

FB: This is not happening....I don't want to do any comment about that because let's see what happens. I think you see my statement. I know already what the judgement of the stewards in this situation that we have already, what is my position.

Q. How much is bad press damaging the reputation of Renault and affecting the team going forward?

FB: The bad press I think was completely unfair - some leaks in the press to accuse somebody before they had the possibility to defend themselves. I think this is really not honest, this is really damaging and this really takes the sport in dispute [sic]. We probably don't know where it's coming from, but this takes the sport in dispute [sic] because at the moment it is the accusation about Renault with no possibility for us to defend ourselves, because we respect our word to the FIA.

We don't want to do any comment and all the comment is around you guys, seeing what is leaked in the press. I don't want to put any comment. I just put, this is making damage for Renault and puts the image of Formula 1 and the sport in dispute [sic].

All these things, if there is an allegation then you go to the World Council and you discuss in the World Council. You don't need to discuss in front of the public opinion and put 500 people working for the team in this kind of danger.

Q. Do you think someone is trying to discredit you?

FB: You know what? Whatever happens, if someone goes against the rules, they go against the rules. If I tell you to go rob a bank ? afterwards, you decide whether to rob the bank or not. I don't feel I have any responsibility, and we don't feel we have done absolutely anything [wrong]. In the case of Piquet we go to the World Council. But the fact already that we have put a criminal plan to Piquet is because we have enough confidence to be successful - the team and myself.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78516

Some harsh words and question dodging from Mr. Briatore there...

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090911155906.shtml

Piquet given immunity amid crash-gate

11/09/09 15:59

Piquet has given the FIA his side of the situation

Nelson Piquet will not be punished as part of the 'crash-gate' saga, FIA president Max Mosley has revealed during an interview with Auto Motor und Sport.

"No," the Briton said. "We have promised him immunity if he cooperates," Mosley added, referring to the Brazilian driver's sworn statement to the FIA about the Singapore GP crash affair. "We did the same thing two years ago with Alonso in the espionage case.?

The same immunity has not been granted to Alonso, the winner of the event last September, this time around, but Mosley said there is no evidence the Spaniard was a part of the conspiracy.

Asked to compare this scandal with 'spy-gate', Mosley explained: "The problem with McLaren was that they were not telling the truth. But purely regarding what Renault is accused of, this (the crash accusation) is perhaps worse."

Evidence that has been leaking into the media in the past days does not bode well for Renault's chances at the 21 September hearing, but Mosley said the French team must for now be given the benefit of the doubt.

"We do not have enough evidence in hand because we have not heard the story from the perspective of Renault," said the FIA president. "There are always two sides to a coin and we have to respect that."

Mosley admitted that telemetry data in the FIA's possession seems to indicate that Piquet caused the crash deliberately, but he warned that part of Renault's defence might be "numerous similar cases" in which a driver has legitimately lost control in the same way.

Meanwhile, he has bad news for Nico Rosberg, who had hoped that a retrospective disqualification for Alonso would make him a debut GP winner.

"We cannot change the outcome of the race," said Mosley, explaining that after November 30 last year, the 2008 world championship results were set in stone.

Piquet: I will not be bullied again

12 September 2009

Nelson Piquet has vowed never 'to be bullied again' into making a forced decision such as the one he allegedly made ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix last year. The Brazilian claims to have been forced into crashing on purpose during the night race although the Renault team fiercely denies such accusations.

With Piquet having crashed at Turn 17 on Lap 14 of the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, there is no doubting that Renault team-mate Fernando Alonso benefitted from the incident's subsequent Safety Car period before going on to win the race. It is unclear at this point, however, as to whether Piquet's claims are true and, if so, to what extend.

'Regarding the current FIA investigation, I confirm that I have co-operated fully and honestly with the sport's governing body,' Piquet wrote on his website, 'because I am telling the truth I have nothing to fear, whether from the ING Renault Team or Mr. (Flavio) Briatore (Renault Managing Director) and, whilst I am well aware of the power and influence of those being investigated and the vast resources at their disposal, I will not be bullied again into making a decision I regret.

I have every confidence in the FIA investigation and World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) and I will be making no further comment until the conclusion of the hearing of 21 September 2009.'

Briatore, on the other hand, has launched legal proceedings again Piquet and father/manager Nelson Piquet Sr, claiming that the allegations are 'outrageous'. "The fact that we (supposedly) put a plan for blackmail against the two Piquets means that I think we are very confident that the truth will come out," the Italian commented.

"You know what? Whatever happens, if someone goes against the rules, they go against the rules. If I tell you to go rob a bank: afterwards, you decide whether to rob the bank or not. I don't feel I have any responsibility and we don't feel we have done absolutely anything."

Source

Q & A with Max Mosley
By Jonathan Noble Friday, September 11th 2009, 12:36 GMT

Q. In 2007 you said that McLaren had polluted the world championship in the spy case. Now, with Renault, there are suggestions that if guilty they changed the outcome of a race and the world title battle. How serious is the FIA treating the matter, and what sort of punishment will be handed out if they are guilty?

Max Mosley: Well, if, and it is a very big if, they are guilty, obviously it is very serious indeed. But we are in a situation at the moment where we have heard one side of the story and have investigated to the best of our ability. Now we are waiting for Renault's side of the story, and it is only when we have got both sides, and both of them have been heard, that one can actually reach a conclusion. So, in most places, you assume someone is innocent until they are proven guilty. And that is the situation we are in at the moment.

Q. Do you think there is more evidence to come to light then? We have seen a lot of documents get leaked over the past 48 hours?

MM: Yes, that is actually very unfortunate because it is just one side of the story. We are quite genuinely curious as to how that happened. Next time, when we send out to 20 or 30 people, we will probably arrange it in such a way that we can tell who is leaking stuff. We don't know how it happened. But none of that means anything. What means something is when we get their defence, which will not be until next week.

Q. If they are found guilty, will it be as severe for you as the McLaren spy case?

MM: Well, it is not really for me to say - it would be for the World Motor Sport Council. On the one side, one of the bad things about McLaren was that they did not tell the truth, so that went against them. But on the other hand, what is alleged to have been done here, is probably more serious. But to assess that, it is a matter for the world council, it is not really for me to say.

Q. You say that Renault's side of their case will come out at the hearing, but in the documents that have been leaked there are interviews with Pat Symonds and comments from Flavio Briatore, who were questioned by investigators at Spa. Is that not enough from their side?

MM: I think that one must expect there to be more. We originally gave them until [last] Monday to put in all the documents, and then they have asked for more time, which they have been given until the middle of next week. And, we have got no idea what they will produce. But in the nature of things, there are always two sides to a story.

Q. In the documents that have been leaked, can you confirm that they are authentic?

MM: I haven't seen anything which I believe to be a forgery.

Q. In the McLaren case in 2007 after the Hungary incident and Fernando Alonso contacting you, you sent a letter to the drivers promising immunity if they provided evidence. Has any promise be made to Nelson Piquet on a similar basis for his co-operation?

MM: Yes. We have said to him that, and I don't know exactly how it was phrased, but he has been told that if he tells us the truth then he will not be proceeded against individually. It is exactly the same as it was for Alonso.

Q. You said before that the bad thing about McLaren was that they did not tell the truth, so can we conclude from that that it would be better for Renault to tell the truth about what has happened, as the circumstances seem to point out that the story of Nelson is true?

MM: I would not go quite that far. Certainly they should tell the truth, but what that is, I would not speculate. It may be completely different to what we've heard so far, we just don't know.

Q. Are you of the belief that Fernando Alonso is an innocent party in all this, and that he was not aware of what was going on?

MM: We have no evidence to suggest that Alonso knew what was going on.

Q. You mentioned that you have granted Nelson immunity in the matter, but if you come down on the side of Renault then will Nelson be pursued for not telling the truth?

MM: No. There is also a situation where if you were not sure, then you would have to give the benefit of the doubt to Renault. I think. It depends what the World Council thinks. But there are a whole succession of things ? the World Council will decide whatever it decides, and then they will have the right of appeal to that to the FIA International Court of Appeal. And if we did something outrageous they could go to a civil court. There are a lot of things we could do, we will just try and do it absolutely fairly and balanced. You can never come to a conclusion until you have heard both sides to a story.

Q. You have talked about the truth and lies of a driver ? but Piquet after the crash denied that he had done it on purpose. So, did he not lie?

MM: Sure. The thing is that, one of the things that they will say is that he is not telling the truth. It is obvious. They have to say that. But then you have got to look at all the circumstances.

Q. But it is not too late after 12 months to discover something that people suspected at the time?

MM: It is like, in the real world, fraud goes on forever. If you cheat the tax man normally, if you don't declare your money, it is three or six years ? there is a limitation. But if you are fraudulent, it goes on forever. What we cannot do is we cannot interfere with the results of the championship, or indeed of that race, because of Article 179B of the International Sporting Code. On the 30th November the championship is finished, whatever. But of course if someone has done something they should not do, they can still get a penalty. So it is open.

Q. Did the FIA suspect that there was something strange at the time?

MM: No. We had no reason to believe that. There was a lot of speculation on the web but there is always speculation about all sorts of things. We cannot launch an inquiry just on the basis of speculation ? but when somebody comes and gives us a sworn statement then obviously we have got to investigate it. The other side of it is, that if the driver comes and give you this story, you can't just say, 'no we'll ignore that, it's 12 months ago, let's forget it.' It goes to the root of motorsport.

Q. Do you think race-fixing is on a similar par to doping in cycling?

MM: We try very hard to demonstrate that if there is something it comes out. The effort we made with McLaren was extreme. People will say it was done as a vendetta or for personal reasons. It's completely untrue.

You are put in a position where you've some information, and you have to pursue it. You can't just forget it. This was the situation with McLaren, and it was very annoying. It wasted an enormous amount of time and money, and Renault is taking a lot of time and money as well which is annoying. But if you want the sport to run properly you have to investigate. What comes out in the end is another matter, but there has to be a proper investigation."

Q. There was a story two days after Belgium saying the FIA had unearthed other incidents outside the Singapore case. Is that the case?

MM: I don't know where that came from. But for us, we've looked at all the surrounding circumstances, put that in a dossier and sent it to Renault and the World Council, and now we're waiting for them to answer. Until that happens, no conclusion can be drawn.

Q. What do you make of the defence of Renault saying that this investigation is wanted by the FIA?

MM: I suppose they have to say something, but it is fundamentally implausible. Number one, we get a report from the driver. We have to investigate. When we investigate we find there are certain individual bits of evidence, so we do a very serious investigation.

If they are innocent, they will have a complete answer, so there is no point in us pursuing them if we thought they had done nothing , if it was some sort of conspiracy because it would be demonstrated and we would look stupid.

The only reason we've done it is because these things have been put on the table, and for me personally it's really quite annoying because it's wasting time which I would rather spend doing something else and I've other things to do. Looking at it from the other side, if we just said we would ignore it then the whole would turn around and say Formula 1 is not a sport, it's a business ? that because this is a big car company they're not going to do anything; because Bernie's friends with Flavio and they've got a football club, they're not going to do anything. The world would see us as corrupt.

Q. So therefore any penalty, should you find Renault guilty, would have to be severe to prove you are fair?

MM: Depending again on all the circumstances, probably. If you look at any other sport, if somebody fixes the result then it's usually taken seriously.

Fixing is one degree worse than cheating, like if you're a cyclist and you take dope, that's cheating. If you bribe the other cyclists, or you get somebody to have a crash in the peloton so the yellow jersey guy crashes, that's more serious.

Then if it puts human life at risk, whether it's the spectators, the marshals or the drivers, then it's more serious again. The moment we talk about that, we sort of imply they are guilty, but we don't know. Until they put their defence in, we've got to assume they're innocent.

Q. The world has changed since the McLaren case. There is not a team who could swallow a 100 million dollar fine now, which would see Renault walk away...

MM: To put that in context, the halfway stage was the September meeting when we had the emails and we were able to prove clearly that people other than the one man within McLaren had knowledge.

So first of all they turned up at the first meeting and didn't tell the truth, and secondly, they had made use of this material. We didn't know to what extent. Now the normal thing to have done would have been to exclude them from the 2007 championship.

If we'd done that, nobody anywhere in the world would have criticised. On top of that, we learned when we fully investigated in December, information that it was available to the people doing the 2008 car. We've an email from the chief engineer on the '07 car and the chief engineer on the '08 car referring to their mole in Ferrari. It's there. We found it.

We also found an email saying that Ron had given instructions not to use quick shift until the FIA aggro is over, so it was right deep in the company.

So you had to not only exclude them from 2007, you would have had to have exclude them from 2008 because they had information that could have been used for the 2008 cars.

If we'd excluded McLaren from 2007 and 2008, the business was finished. Shut down. 1,400 people lose their jobs. There's no way they could have survived that.

Probably if we had excluded them from 2007 just, not even 2008, that would have, if not shut down the business, had an enormously damaging effect on their sponsors, Mercedes and everything else. So the truth of the matter was that the 100 million, although it's a huge amount of money and sounds a huge amount of money, was actually a very light penalty because we didn't exclude them.

Then you've got people in the paddock and a lot of the commentators, literally half-witted, saying this is such a serious penalty when those same people, if we'd excluded them from the championship in 2007 and probably put them out of business, would have not criticised the sporting penalty because you couldn't. It was just the 100 million, as it were.

And actually the 100 million was much less than the penalty of excluding them from the championship. The trouble is that we've got a collection of people who speak in the paddock without thinking, without understanding, who are very stupid and superficial. So they keep going on and on about this massive fine when in fact it was the least we could do, and it demonstrably did not interfere with McLaren's business - witness the fact that they won the drivers' championship the following year.

It was a nasty blow for them, which it needed to be, but it was not like excluding them even in 2007, never mind both years. It's a constant source of annoyance to me when they say 'this outrageous fine'. It's always the really stupid people who haven't thought the thing through.

Q. Would the same principle apply to Renault? 695 people could potentially suffer, who didn't know about the plot?

MM: That's the difficult bit but in the end, again, Renault have to decide. First of all they have got to make their case for the defence and secondly it's very much up to them. It's up to Renault, the ball is in their court. They must decide what they want to do.

Q. What could be the penalty if they guilty?

MM: It could be anything up to disqualification. Because that's what's set out in the code. Disqualification means you are out, finished.

Q. From the 2008 championship?

MM: Out. Total. Exclusion forever, gone, finished. That's the worst that could happen, but don't for a moment get the impression I'm saying that would happen or will happen. That is the worst that could happen.

Q. But that could be a consequence of the penalty, they could walk away?

MM: When Toyota were caught in 1995 or 1996 with the dodgy air inlet, we excluded them for a year. Then they voluntarily excluded themselves for a further year and then they came back. It was a very Japanese sort of mea culpa. So you don't know.

I shouldn't really speculate about it all because we just don't know. All I can officially say at this point is that we haven't had the defence and until we have a hearing we've got to presume they are innocent.

Q. Did you have a chance to talk to Carlos Ghosn about the matter?

MM: Not about this issue. I last met him in July, before this happened. I haven't spoken to him and I haven't spoken about this to Bernard Rey. I've had a couple of conversations with Flavio.

Q. How would you imagine Ghosn would react to a big penalty?

MM: I don't think it would be so much how he would react if there was a big penalty to us. If he thought the team had done it he would probably be unhappy but we don't know, we haven't heard their defence.

Q. The telemetry data appears rather damning though?

MM: This is true but we don't know. They might turn up at the hearing with 13 examples of where he has spun off and the telemetry shows he kept his foot on it the whole time. Then the whole picture changes. We just don't know.

Apperantly Flavio saved piquet the indignity of gay sex with a 50 year old at his fathers request.

Gotta love these -gates

!! Source?

well apparently Nelson Sr asked Flavio to influence Piquet Jr's private life beacuse he was worried about his son's relationship with another 50yr old man.

Flavio said that they are "close" friends and that they share a same apartment or something.

Briatore has also said that the complaints from Piquet Jr extended beyond pure racing terms - as he revealed he was also accused by the Brazilian of wrecking friendships he had.

"He [Nelsinho] has also heavily accused me of breaking his relationship with a friend of his. I don't want to be accused unfairly, so I want to say that I did it because Nelsinho's father asked me to," explained Briatore.

"Nelsinho used to live with this gentleman: the nature of their relationship is unknown. His father was very worried about the relationship Nelsinho used to have with this 50-year-old man. They used to live together, and his father asked me to intervene.

"I made this gentleman not come to races anymore, and I made Nelsinho move from Oxford to London in a building where I live, in order to keep him under control.

"I was asked to by his father, and now Nelsinho accuses me of having even taken his friends away from him - I don't know what kind of friends these are, but he accuses me of that."

Source: Autosport.com

Last edited:
HAHA this is getting too good.

If this continues in this direction, we will get some great new internet memes. :D

Nothing that Briatore has said so far is improving my opinion of him...

is Piquet Briatore the followup to Frost Nixon? I think the format may change somewhat.

It's going to be interesting what happens and then how this all affects the integrity of F1 and Renault both as a carmaker and as racers.

To be honest, I've never liked Flavio. His messy hair and his crooked walk just don't seem to be the F1 type.

Flavio is a great leader, businessman, probably the best of the current crop, obviously Renault as well as everybody else used dirty tricks, guess it's their time to answer, no big deal.

This gets better and better. Thanks for the laughs. :lmao: