Brake problems

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
There a few things wrong with my brakes. First of all, I want to paint the calipers red becauuse they are rusting.
So I removed all four wheels to see what's what.

I should probably start by saying that the car has been pulling slightly to the right. And also when I brake, the wheel shakes.
I thought - warped rotors right?

Well...once I removed both rear wheels I noticed something worrying. The right one, doesn't move freely...I mean it turns, but only if I put effort into it. The disc by itself can't be moved by hand. (this is the side to which the car is pulling).
The left wheel - perfectly fine. It spins like a roulette.
Here are pictures of the disc wear on both wheels.
Left(Good):
http://img22.imageshack.**/img22/2272/dsc01808pt.jpg

Right(Bad):
http://img198.imageshack.**/img198/7664/dsc01805k.jpg

So...what are your guesses. Is it simply a brake pad problem? Or is it the whole caliper that's bad? Would that be the cause of my steering wheel wobble and pulling to the right?

(In addition to everything, after scrubbing all the calipers with a wire brush to take off the rust, I noticed a knocking noise from front left caliper at 10mph. When I touch the brakes, the knock is gone.)

If I had the money I would just pay the $700 and replace all four rotors, pads, calipers...but unfortunately I can't afford it now :(

You have a seized right-side caliper and a damaged right-side rotor. Both must be replaced, or at least replace the rotor and rebuild the caliper.

Last edited:
How can you tell that the rotor is bad?
I've heard that it's not a good idea to replace just one side.
What will happen if I just rebuild the caliper?

Last edited:
The uneven wear pattern and the blue color indicating that the rotor has vastly exceeded its heat capacity and cooled off, repeatedly.

And yes, you should repair/replace in axle sets. That said, I'd replace the caliper as you may have introduced potential failure due to overheating.

I suggest shopping for your replacement bits on rockauto.com, should be significantly cheaper than at retail. Sometimes you can find new parts on eBay, too.

Last edited:
Yes, Thanks Spectre! I'm researching my options now. I found a set of rotors and pads for $70 on eBay...but then while I'm at the back wheels, I might as well change my shims on the handbrake...$50. Caliper rebuild...who knows. And labor to put the parts together - $90.

I am not happy.

I'll definitely get it fixed before the first snow comes. Funnily enough though, the car only pulls to the right when I'm cruising along. If I slam the brakes - it stops dead straight. So the caliper is working...it's just that it's working all the time I guess.

Exactly.

Funnily enough though, the car only pulls to the right when I'm cruising along. If I slam the brakes - it stops dead straight. So the caliper is working...it's just that it's working all the time I guess.

When you are cruising force is being applied to the single rotor. When you are braking force is being applied evenly (at least somewhat) to all four corners. Hence no pulling under braking. Brakes a re fairly easy to do if you have basic mechanical knowledge, but it would be preferable to have a helper who has done them before as it is a vital system to the car. Not something to screw up or half-ass.

Nothing to get too mad about, these types of failures are expected from cars over a decade old. I'd be interested what color your brake fluid is?

Yeah...a helper would be a very good thing. Especially, when someone hasn't done any mechanical work at all. What happens is - the car falls from the jack...

Brake fluid - who knows??? It looks pretty dark in the expansion reservoir.

Yeah...a helper would be a very good thing. Especially, when someone hasn't done any mechanical work at all. What happens is - the car falls from the jack...

Use jack stands.

I know that now :)

Now we know why labor is so cheap in Eastern Europe... :p

What can I say...I follow the traditional Top Gear spirit of "How hard can it be?", "That's not gone well!" and "Ambitious but rubbish!"
:)