Holy crap I've gotta stop buying cars...

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
So I have added another vehicle to my fleet. It's a 1994 Toyota 4Runner, 275k miles, 3.0l V6, 5-speed, 4wd, etc.

Here's the kicker, low oil pressure and a light knock from the engine.

Got a few poser photos here, maybe they should be spoilered...

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/craigb/2009/09/12/4runner_1.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/craigb/2009/09/12/4runner_2.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/craigb/2009/09/12/4runner_3.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, other than the engine and the left front CV axle it seems to be in good shape. I guess I'll keep an eye out for a low mile used engine. Until then I'll see how much torture this poor Toyota will take...

Since i didn't follow your previous history... whats the point in buying such a thing when u don't need it? Mhh... don't really get it. You could also have bought a used Hamburger or a bag saw dust. Might be no more useless.. but a lot cheaper?

I love a 4Runner. I'm not sure why, but I've always had a soft spot for them.

The new one one the other hand.. gross:

2010-toyota-4runner-large_1.jpg

"1984 Mustang SVO ? 2000 Taurus ? 1999 Ranger"
So you have a sports car, a daily driver, a pickup and a SUV?
That's fine whats the issue! car for ever occasion. :lol:

This is why I'm glad I have no money. Otherwise I'd probably have something very similar (except made by Nissan).

I would have bought around 10 $5000 cars by now if I had the money.. there are so many that I want....Volvo 850R, Ford Ranger, Toyota 4Runner (the one you have), Toyota MR2 turbo, Miata, and so on.

Yup, that's the 3VZ-E engine for you. Look for a replacement 3.4L 5VZ-FE if you can, they're built much more robustly with fewer issues.

Since i didn't follow your previous history... whats the point in buying such a thing when u don't need it? Mhh... don't really get it. You could also have bought a used Hamburger or a bag saw dust. Might be no more useless.. but a lot cheaper?

Your probably right, but I have been needing a 4wd for winter. I get tired of slip sliding around in the 2wd truck and getting stuck in parking lots that haven't been cleared.

"1984 Mustang SVO ? 2000 Taurus ? 1999 Ranger"
So you have a sports car, a daily driver, a pickup and a SUV?
That's fine whats the issue! car for ever occasion. :lol:

Seems that I have all the bases covered. :lol:

This is why I'm glad I have no money. Otherwise I'd probably have something very similar (except made by Nissan).

I did that once. Had a 240SX, a Altima and a Pickup. Sold them one by one and replaced them with Fords, kinda getting away from that a little.

Yup, that's the 3VZ-E engine for you. Look for a replacement 3.4L 5VZ-FE if you can, they're built much more robustly with fewer issues.

I'll read up on that, wonder how straight a swap it is. Though with 275k miles on it I doubt it was owed anything. I did see some guys with 2JZ power under the hood of their 3rd gen trucks. Hmm... :lol:

Just FYI, the local 'acceptable' rebuilders get $555 for a 3VZ-E short block with a $220 core. Complete long block is $1295 with a $520 core.

3VZ-E's get rebuilt a lot, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting these prices in Springfield, KC, or Tulsa.

Just FYI, the local 'acceptable' rebuilders get $555 for a 3VZ-E short block with a $220 core. Complete long block is $1295 with a $520 core.

3VZ-E's get rebuilt a lot, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting these prices in Springfield, KC, or Tulsa.

Thanks for the info. One of the local salvages has one, I'm going to call on it tomorrow see what they want for it and how many miles.

That's some very careless parking...:p

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Driving over rocks = fun.

275k is freaking loads though.

Have fun with it.

Driving over other stuff is fun, too... :lol:

1UZ-FE. ;)

I'd buy a Discovery.

Looks good, I think we had that over here as the Hilux Surf and I've always liked them (despite the amount of chrome that some people put on them). Now get it off road properly, those are mud tyres.

You should do a 2jz swap with noz.
but no srsly, good luck with the project, seems like a fun off roader.
2jz_swap.jpg

Whatever you were trying to post a photo didn't work. ;)

That thing looks fun, I love an easy to use, easy to run offroader. And for a 15 year old 4x4, it looks good.

Also, is that rear bumper dinged?