Romanian satnav jokes coming to TG

Alasondro Alegré

Forum Addict
Maybe. :mrgreen:

BBC's Top Gear team is going to film an episode in a number of different places in Romania later this month.

They will drive Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin cars through the tunnels of dictator Nicolae Ceausescu's huge construction the Palace of Parliament, which hosts the Romanian parliament.

The Top Gear team will also film on Transfagarasan road, on the Black Sea coast, in the Danube delta and in other places in Bucharest.

http://www.romaniantimes.at/news/Sports/2009-09-16/2917/BBC%B4s_Top_Gear_to_film_in_Romania

Interesting. I wonder if James will be driving a Dacia Sandero while the others are in 1310s. :lol:

Also they'll surely get cut off by some idiot who is going to swear at them in Romanian. And the Beeb won't beep it out. :p

Last edited:
^Are you going to try and hunt them down or what? lol. I don't know how easy or difficult it'd be for you to get to Bucharest, especially on a weekday and everything.

No. No driving license, college starts soon, trains to Bucharest are too expensive, and even if I had a license, the road to Bucharest is too frightening. :lol: And the last 60 km from Ploie?ti onwards are always gridlocked.

But there are a couple of FGers who reside in that part of the country, so they might get a chance to catch the TG3.

The Transfagarasan was actually put in a thread by a fellow FG'er last year!

Transfagarasan_twisty_road.jpg

Last edited:
^It's a good driving road, yeah, but... for one, everyone knows about it, and secondly, the access paths from both directions are so broken up with potholes and bumps, that you can't really get on it or off it. :lol: Take a supercar there and before you get on the Transfagarasan, you'll be at the side of the road with total suspension failure.

For those of you who have no clue what the satnav joke is all about:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zxJekcGGG0[/youtube]

:lol:

For those of you who have no clue what the satnav joke is all about:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zxJekcGGG0[/youtube]

:lol:

Damn, I know I shouldn't be laughing, but... I am. Honestly, all Romanian sat-nav voices are pathetic. :lol: And they also screw you around when you're in Hungary, as a relative of mine found out this summer.

EDIT: I wonder if it's going to be a special episode like the Vietnam one...

Last edited:
Oh, it's gonna be special, for us Romanians at least. I'm more concerned about what Clarkson is going to think about Romania, Antena 1(the sister channel of the one broadcasting TG here) showed some polititicians saiyng that this will promote our country. I have serious doubts about that :lol:.
As for the September 22nd filming in Bucharest, I'll be here, but I don't know if I'll be in the area. I'll think of something

If it's anything like the Romanian episode of Anthony Bourdain (the closest equivalent to Clarkson) IDK how he'll handle it. But they will be racing 3 supercars underneath the heaviest building in......................................................................................................................the world

edit: I'm so stalking the area Tuesday, even though I have driving school in the afternoon :lol:

edit 2: They should also close the Transfagarasan and do it in the dark. That is one scary road during night time, as I can tell from personal experience. We also encountered crappy rain and some of the densest mist I've ever seen, might as well been low rain clouds on the uphill. On the downhill same rain but it was getting dark

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm also a member of the romanian TG mag forums and the people who write for it are going to facilitate any paperwork the guys might need as well as info and other stuff. The fact of the mater is that while right now the guys are in Bucharest (and probably stay at the Marriot as it's like a kilometer from the first filming location). Some were saying that the guys landed and nobody recognised them because there were so may tenis players at the same time in the airport, as it's the Bucharest Open these days. :lol:

The rumored locations, are as follows:
-The Black Sea's shore
-Mangalia
-Dobrogea Plateau - excelent road that links Bucharest to the sea shore, while avoidind the highway. Includes this
-Sighetul Marmatiei
-Oradea
-Arad
-Timisoara(where the Revolution started)
-Targoviste(where Ceausescu fled)

These are from the Chief Editor of TG RO, but again, just rumors. Also as much as I'd like to be there today when they shoot, the security is high in this kind of situations. When they filmed the Lambo vs. SLR in Dubai the acces was restricted about 1 km around the filming location.

Ok, I don't have Internet proof of it(that would be a link) but I know for sure, it's been on the news tonight, that the Transfagarasan is closed Thursday and Friday so TG can film there. And remember, this is the road(thank God they repaired the worst parts this year for a change)

http://img219.imageshack.**/img219/5800/34209279.th.gif

Last edited:
I'd really like to hear how they manage to pronounce and mess up our local names. It's going to be very interesting to see what the TG3 make of our country. :)

By the looks of it, the film they'll be making will probably take up about half an episode.

Interesting. I wonder if James will be driving a Dacia Sandero while the others are in 1310s. :lol:

Also they'll surely get cut off by some idiot who is going to swear at them in Romanian. And the Beeb won't beep it out. :p

Or worse yet, they'll run across something like this guy:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVu5mrXMYQ[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: