Crashgate

Hmm....it?s been a while since I have bored you guys with my posts. Prepare yourselves, it?s time for another edition of Bro Mike?s mindless ramblings.

I was going to write something earlier, but I wanted to wait to see if any pressing evidence comes up. As the situation has unveiled, at least to some extent, here are some thoughts I have been carrying up to this point.
First of all I wasn't expecting such drastic measures from Briatore and Symonds. Having read all the transcripts, interviews and other info available, it was quite clear that Symonds was going down no matter what. However there wasn't any conclusive evidence to say what Briatore?s role is in all this, at least none publically available. Piquet is done with his F1 career, that is for certain: nobody is going to hire him after this.

As I see it, there are/were four different parties in this: Flavio Briatore, Pat Symonds, Nelson Piquet Jr and Nelson Piquet Sr. Having read through the material, it was obvious that Symonds was going to take the fall and was perhaps even covering for Briatore, thus making it possible for Flavio to continue with the sport and Symonds getting a healthy rewards for his actions, off the record naturally.
Then there is Nelson Piquet Jr. who is first and foremost a fucking awful racing driver with zero talent. But what he is also is a spoiled, whiny, dumbass daddy's boy who thinks he should get to do anything he wants because his father is a famous ex-racing driver. Now this is where I thought things got interesting. Sure it was fairly straight forward that Piquet had crashed on purpose, the telemetry doesn't lie.
However when this case started to unfold, charges were made against the Piquet family on the count of false accusations and blackmailing. It was also unclear at that point who made the initiative leading to the crash at Singapore: was it Briatore & Symonds or Piquet. This made me very cautious about pointing blame at anyone, because Nelson Piquet Sr. is an idiot, a real dickhead and he is a man I can very well believe to do something so outrageous just to save an F1 seat for the idot son of his. Now that is a bold claim from the Renault camp...accusing Piquet Sr. of blackmailing, but I wouldn't be surprised if those claims actually end up being true.

And this to me raises another question: if Piquet Sr. has known about this all along....who else has known ? For example Briatore is a co-owner of Queen's Park Rangers, a football club. Bernie Ecclestone also has a stake in the same club. Bernie's comments regarding Briatore's resigning have been fairly calm and reserved taking to account the severe nature and magnitude of the case. I'm not saying Ecclestone has known anything, but could it be possible ? Usually when Bernie has something to say it is more or less crude, un-apologetic, in your face sort of stuff. Yet this time he held back...I wonder why ? As far as I am concerned, I think he could've known about this. Though I don't know how close Bernie and Flavio are, but assuming they are business partners also outside of F1, there could be something to this.
Then there is the question of what is Alonso's role in all this ? So far the evidence shows that he had no knowledge whatsoever about the incident and I believe so. If the engineers didn't know, how could and why should Alonso even know about this ? This is all speculation, of course, but even if Alonso DID know about this, there is no way to prove it. Piquet hasn't said anything (not yet at least), so he might have no clue about Alonso's position in this. Briatore sure as hell won't be ratting Fernando out and I really doubt Symonds is going to do it. Therefore it is rather safe to say Alonso?s career will continue, or at least he has the possibility: we don?t? know if Renault will even be here come next season and Ferrari still haven?t confirmed their 2010 drivers so Alonso may end up without a seat !! I know that?s pushing it, but it could happen.

As for the aftermath...well...Mosley has probably been jumping up and down ever since Piquet came forward with his statements, because this could prove to be a golden opportunity for Max to get rid of another arch rival of his, Briatore. Dennis is gone, now Briatore would be gone....that would only leave Di Montezemolo. What a way to go out for Mosley. He could claim to have cleaned up the F1 from corruption and because of him and his era, Formula 1 is a pure sport once again. We all know that is a bunch of prime horseshit and the whole thought makes me sick, but the fact that he offered Piquet immunity makes me think even less of him. Of course you could compare it to Stepneygate and when Alonso was offered a same kind of deal, but it isn't the same: this time the driver (Piquet) was an essential part of the proceedings. As Briatore said, eventually it was Piquet who crashed and put the lives of others in potential danger. Piquet is the one who executed the crash, therefore I find it disgusting that he gets away with it. And it is still yet unproven who came up with the idea to crash: Piquet or Briatore. I believe the only thing Mosley had in mind when offering this immunity deal to Nelson, was Briatore's humiliation.

What will happen to Renault ? Tough to say now, since Briatore, Symonds and Piquet are no longer employees of the team and have nothing to do with the sport, can the team itself be punished anymore ? This was my first thought reagarding the sudden resignation of the duo Pat & Flavio - they are trying to save, if there is anything to save, Renault's future as a team in the grid. If it can be shown that no other members of the team were involved with the crash, I believe Renault as a team should be left unpunished and in turn impliment perhaps life long bans for both Symonds and Briatore. Though I would add Piquet to this lot, due to the reasons I gave earlier. As for the charges pressed against Piquet Sr....if those come out to be true, he should be banned from every single Formula 1 circuit for the rest of his life - nobody like him should be allowed to have any connections to this sport.
Regardless of what happens to Renault's F1 team, Renault as a manufacturer may have some other thoughts about staying in the grid, as their name has been ashamed. And they have already been thinking about withdrawing from the grid. Same thing for ING - they may want to reconsider staying with the Renault team.
However rumours are saying David Richards has already been interviewed for the position of team leader, to follow Briatore. Just like in 1997, when Briatore was shown the door and Richards took over. Now what ever punishment the Renault team will receive, the future doesn't look very good for them. Richards has been very vocal about how Prodrive unfairly didn't get a spot in the 2010 grid. This could open up a way for Richards and Prodrive, which in turn could mean that Aston Martin comes to Formula 1 !!

It all makes perfect sense, because Renault will probably be more than willing to sell the team, there are already rumours about Red Bull wanting to change engine supplier...this would give a clean way out from the sport for the French carmaker. And since Richards is willing to make a comeback to F1....I consider this to be a win-win situation. Which is quite remarkable, if you ask me. I am actually going to post a bold prediction: Richards will buy the current Renault team, eventually name it Prodrive or Aston martin and hire Alonso and Bruno Senna as drivers.

Of course Formula 1 as a sport has taken yet another huge blow, but with the resignation of Renault's top two players, I think they saved a whole lot, because now the controversy and shit spewing has most likely ended before it really picked up speed. Now the only thing to decide is the fate of Renault's team, and that's it, because they have already accepted the charges and are not going to fight it. This may all sound a bit hard to handle at first, but this could actually pave a much smoother road for F1 from here on; next season will be starting from a clean table, with a new FIA president, new teams including Lotus and possibly Aston Martin/Prodrive, only Di Montezemolo from the old school guys left....here's to hoping no new major twists and facts come unraveled now that "Crashgate" is seemingly in it's final stages.

Wow?..that makes absolutely no sense :blink:. I should probably try to write something a bit more coherent and clear for my next one.

It all makes perfect sense, because Renault will probably be more than willing to sell the team, there are already rumours about Red Bull wanting to change engine supplier...this would give a clean way out from the sport for the French carmaker. And since Richards is willing to make a comeback to F1....I consider this to be a win-win situation. Which is quite remarkable, if you ask me. I am actually going to post a bold prediction: Richards will buy the current Renault team, eventually name it Prodrive or Aston martin and hire Alonso and Bruno Senna as drivers.

Doesn't the concorde agreement mean they're locked into F1 until 2012 ? Other than that, Great post.

They can still sell the team and have the name changed. Something BMW should have done.

I read and heard commentaries from the folks that cover and comment the races for German TV, the folks that are with the F1 circus all the time and know it inside out.

There is a 100 % agreement that Flavio Briatore -- and only Flavio Briatore -- is responsible for this and came up with the idea in the first place. Everybody says that Symonds and Piquet, Jr. were forced to do as he said.

That's no excuse for what they did but as I already said: Who knows what else happened in the years before and how much leverage Briatore has/had to demand such things from his men?

I read and heard commentaries from the folks that cover and comment the races for German TV, the folks that are with the F1 circus all the time and know it inside out.

There is a 100 % agreement that Flavio Briatore -- and only Flavio Briatore -- is responsible for this and came up with the idea in the first place. Everybody says that Symonds and Piquet, Jr. were forced to do as he said.

That's no excuse for what they did but as I already said: Who knows what else happened in the years before and how much leverage Briatore has/had to demand such things from his men?

Let's not paint anyone as an innocent sheep here. Back in Singapore 2008 Renault was on a downfall. Ten points for first place is not only a big move in constructors champio and therefore more money from Berney at the end of the year, but also TV coverage, the buzz and as it turned out the beginning of scoring streak for Renault.

They may have kept Alonso out, although i am not entirely sure of that, but the rest of them are pretty good for it. Everybody uses dirty tricks in F1, people should get used to it. Flavio is already a billionaire, he should know the formula of success, there's no fair play in it.

Last edited:
Good post once again Bro, sadly I must spread some rep before giving you more of it.

I doubt that Renault will escape a penalty on this one. Since the mid nineties the team has been responsible for the actions of it's employees (see McLaren's penalty in Stepneygate, or Toyota being banned from WRC in 1995). Whether they get thrown out of F1 or just get a big fine remains to be seen, as does whether they will remain in the sport or pack their things and go away.

Of course, for pretty much all parties involved, it would be best if Renault would get away with just a slap on the wrist now that all the key players of Crashgate have left the building. Sadly, with FIA being what they are, that's unlikely to happen and it's likely there is going to be heaps of controversy next week.

Also, as Briatore and Symmonds cannot be banned from F1 as such (some EU law prevents that) and for some reason I can't imagine Flavio being away from the sport altogether. Of course, he manages several drivers, and having a history of being a succesful F1 team manager I wouldn't be surprised if we'd see him leading another team at some point And in one way I hope he'll be back; I might not be a big fan of what he does but he is a character and I think F1 has a shortage of those, on or off the track.

As for Symmonds, he is obviously very good at what he does and will undoubtedly be back sooner or later.

So, the only career this debacle might destroy is that of Piquet and on that front this would just have been the final nail in the coffin, so to speak. In worst case scenario Romain Grosjean might be another casualty if Renault leaves because of this and Romain can't find another team to go to. Maybe he should have stayed in GP2 to fight for the championship in the end...

Might not take that much leverage... Piquet was trying to save his F1 career which was, at that point, likely to end by the end of the year so it would have been an easy choice to go along with this plan. Symmonds, on the other hand, could have gone along to save the team as there was a serious threat of Renault pulling the plug on the team and there had not been success prior to Singapore.

Symmonds, on the other hand, could have gone along to save the team as there was a serious threat of Renault pulling the plug on the team and there had not been success prior to Singapore.

Well, that went well...

Seriously: I think this affair will be decided by the money. The sponsor's money to be exact. This scandal is just beginning. I'm waiting for more participants to spill out their guts about all the ongoings in Briatore's team in the last 15 years or so. A good old mudslinging will be very entertatining -- and probably drive away any sponsor from Renault.

We will get to know more and more details in the following days and weeks and we will all be amazed by what went on behind the scenes.

And I have to disagree about Briatore remaining or coming back to F1: He will become persona non grata. He already is, if I'm not completely mistaken. It's not like he's been caught in an act everybody knows everyone does. We're not talking about stretching or even bending the rules a bit here and there.

We are talking about ordering a driver into having an accident -- fully accepting the fact that he might get hurt or even killed (which is never excluded in F1) in the process -- in order to manipulate a race, so the other driver can win. He has crossed a line by putting his own driver deliberately into danger and he might have damaged the reputation of F1 as much as doping has destroyed the reputation of cycling.

What he did, is beyond anything that ever happened in sports before. And all who think it's just some minor offence, have in my opinion completely lost their sense for reality.

Characters like Briatore have no business in being in Formula 1. Period.

And I believe the FIA will be very strict and harsh -- and be it only to save at least a bit of their reputation. If the punishment is mild, it will ruin the reputation of FIA and Formula 1.

Last edited:
I'm am glad Flav and Pat are gone from F1 and I'll be happy never to see them in F1 again, especially Flav, I can not stand that guy one bit.

I believe Renault still deserve a punishment from the FIA even though the "bad eggs" are gone.

I'm going to do against the grain on Piquet Jr, I believe a team will hire him in the future and we will see him in F1 again.

I maed dis:

crashgate.jpg

:lol: Very good, I like it.

Latest rumours regarding Renault and Dave Richards point towards a buy-out by Prodrive through Charouz Racing Systems (a.k.a. Aston Martin Racing Eastern Europe). I have to point out, it's a rumour, it might have no truth in it at all. Let's see.

EDIT: Sniff Petrol has a take on the situation, as ever...

#F1 RENAULT SHOCK! FIA to investigate how Piquet managed NOT to crash until lap 13.

Last edited:
This event doesn't bother me at all. I always assumed this kind of stuff went on so confirmation that it does means nothing. Obviously Briatore and Symonds had to go for this but I hold them in no lesser regard than I did before (which admittedly wasn't very high).

Back when team orders were allowed it was clear this kind of things was going on. It's OK because team orders were allowed, but even then... the crowd at A1 Ring didn't like it when Schumacher crossed the finishline first.

AFAIK this is the first time a team has ordered a driver to CRASH on purpose. It is true this kind of strategy games are normal in F1 but not on this level. Usually the driver that isn't supposed to win starts the race with a worse pitstop strategy. They're not ordered to ram into a wall or into another car to secure a win for their team mates.

Schumacher only parked his Ferrari in Monaco to secure a pole and both cars were penalized.

Last edited:
Senna and Prost Suzuka. Been done before but not by orders me thinks. ...

[YOUTUBE]MN806RQ1rB4[/YOUTUBE]

I don't think a team would tell any driver to take out their other driver. :|
I could be wrong... it's been known to happen. Anyway from a fans point of view this kind of team orders that Piquet jr. recieved do not belong in motorsport. They do not belong in any team sport.

I think Piquet was too much of a spineless coward to say no to the order.
Briatore I think was the puppet master.
Symonds was just another of Briatores puppet.

None of the three are sportsmen. They should get a life long ban from all sports, specially motorsport.

'It was my duty to save the team' - Briatore

17 September 2009

Former Renault team boss Flavio Briatore has said on Thursday that he left the Renault team of his own accord as opposed to contradicting reports which claim the Italian was dismissed; the ex-Team Principal has commented that he did so in order to 'save the team'.

With Briatore and Executive Director of Engineering Pat Symonds now out of Formula One as Renault prepares for its 'Crashgate' scandal hearing with the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in Paris next Monday, Briatore claims that he departed the Enstone outfit for the good of the team.

"I was just trying to save the team," he told The Mirror. "It's my duty. That's the reason I've finished." With others, such as team owner Eddie Jordan, feeling that the exit is more of a confession, Renault now faces McLaren 2007-esque draconian punishments for the alleged race-fixing of the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

Source

Yeah, Whatever.

Urgh, was discussing this with a mate when he sprung the following photo at me...

Do not look at it!
No really, it's horrible, you'll have nightmares...
I'm not joking here, you'll probably throw up or something!
You know when someone posts one of these spoilered images, and you think "oh, it can't be that bad, i'll look anyway" no matter how many warnings there are... well don't do it this time..
Remember, what is seen cannot be unseen... you can't claim I didn't warn you..
Did I mention it's sort of NSFW?
briatore.jpg

I hope you're happy with yourself!