James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

Well... I've sent a text to my contact at Plum saying thanks to them and James for the lego project which got me relaxed enough that I failed to fail, as my housemate put it.

HUGE congrats! Did you take it in the Mini?

Makes me wonder whether I should take mine in Gerald after all!

That's so great that you passed! I had to take mine 5 times, which is slightly embarrassing, but I did HATE driving at the time. Things have changed, obviously. :p

Latest update from the Denbies Vineyard website:

James May?s Lego House now complete!

It?s official, the final bricks have been laid and the house is finished. The good news is that it will remain at Denbies for at least another week, so DO COME AND SEE IT!!! As far as Surrey real estate goes ? it is out of this world!!!

sideview1.jpg

(photo by Alec McSimpson)

I do hope the house will be moved to another location. It would be a shame if only a handful of people got to see it. :)

Last edited:
2 Feb? Where did you see that? I just checked Amazon.co.uk and luckily there it still says October 7. :)

Methinks Fly checked Amazon.com -- where it does list it as being available Feb 2, 2010 -- instead of Amazon.co.uk (out October 7). We in the States would get the book quite a bit later than the UK, of course.

EDIT: Congrats to Heidi for passing! :cheers:

Well... I've sent a text to my contact at Plum saying thanks to them and James for the lego project which got me relaxed enough that I failed to fail, as my housemate put it.

Congrats! :D

Well done Heidi!!!!!

Of course you could do it though!!!!! :D

I think it came down to the simple fact that I was relaxed about it. Having not driven for a month and being in a rubbish old car, I had an excuse or two ready for if I *did* fail, but also I wasn't in someone else's shiny expensive car without them, I was in my own car where I feel more comfortable (for given values of comfort, with that suspension, good lord did I apologise to the examiner a lot) and I was on a Completed Project high. I don't get those often, most things I work on either drag on so long I've left before they're done or they fizzle out because the manager in charge of pushing it has left.
Despite the car making a loud and worrying banging noise (which I know shakes the passenger seat) nearly every time I drop the clutch or let up on the loud pedal (and in a mini it *is* pretty loud) and not being able to get it into third once, the examiner didn't seem at all scared, and I only got six minors. Three of them were for going a smidge too fast, mostly because in third the car tends to speed up over the thirty when going downhill, and I decided to ride the brakes a little (but apparently not quite enough) rather than changing down to second as I normally would (my gears are *way* taller than the ones in modern cars, it won't go into third at less than 25mph) because of the 'eco safe driving' bit. Which, despite only going into fourth twice in the whole test, I got.
I was going to go back down to Dorking this weekend, but as my pass plus doesn't start until Sunday, and a friend has a Thing I can take her to and do on Wednesday and get paid for, I thought it would make more sense to do that first - that way I get to go on the motorway with my instructor, go on the motorway with a friend, and *then* go on the motorway on my own. Also, we're going to stop off at my bloke's place on the way back, which'll mean I don't have to tackle the Coventry ring road for the first time on my own. I've not 100% committed to that, thought.
Also - as far as I'm aware, the house *will* be going somewhere else. There were some men with tape measures trying to work out how exactly to shift it last time I was there. Where, though, I don't know.

Also - as far as I'm aware, the house *will* be going somewhere else. There were some men with tape measures trying to work out how exactly to shift it last time I was there. Where, though, I don't know.

That would be great. :)

Meanwhile: I spot a new jumper! :D

C_67_article_2057463_body_articleblock_1_bodyimage.jpg

C_67_article_2057463_body_articleblock_2_bodyimage.jpg

There is some info in Get Surrey today about the Lego house. Demolition will start next Tuesday, so make sure you go over there this weekend if you want to have a look.

Last edited:
So that's what the roof looks like! I couldn't be bothered to walk up the hill to have a look.

Dear Heidi,

Congratulations on your driving test and the lego house, your attention to detail, or is it addiction, to duty, and fortitude are worthy of high praise. In a word: Fab.

ASDFJGL! Pics from inside! Still, suppose they're trying to raise money... I suppose anyone who looked at that will understand why OzGirl and I nearly went loopy with that -ing bathroom wall. Nice to see some of the stuff I built in those pics, too. :)

Glad you like it. :) I don't like the idea of not being there to see them start taking it down, so I'm probably going to be driving down there Sunday afternoon/Monday morning (stopping off at the boyfriend's place). The satnav tells me it's a 7-hour drive avoiding motorways (and I don't fancy going that far my first solo motorway journey, even if that would cut 2 hours off) so overnighting with The Bloke strikes me as a good idea...

I just love the attention to detail i never expected anything that detailed.
Love the lego page 3.:lol: hope James was not hurt by the chair.
Great work you guys.