Autoblog: REPORT: Parents of teen with speeding ticket fighting citation with personal GPS data

Also, if it was snowy, in Uhmerica the speed limit is half the posted limit, as it only applies to ideal driving conditions.

Also, if it was snowy, in Uhmerica the speed limit is half the posted limit, as it only applies to ideal driving conditions.

The "As conditions allow" nonsense is very rarely invoked unless they find you in the roadside ditch, because if your car is still sticking to the road, conditions obviously allow you to go that fast. It's also not a hard and fast rule - if you're on a 65mph freeway and have to go 15 to stay on it, then so be it - but if you're on a 65mph freeway in the rain and you're not sliding around like a tard, you're fine. Unless the cop wants to be a hateful prick, in which case he's going to have to justify himself in court.

I don't know where you came up with half? YOu should slow for the bad coniditions, but half speed?

I've slowed to almost 1/3 the limit before (60-65mph limits), but those were exceptional cases. The nasty one was 200 mi in a freezing rain storm where I was excited to get up to 30 on ocassion. When I stopped for gas, I could barely walk inside it was so icy.

That said, if it is light snow, and/or the plows are doing their job properly, I often find I barely need to slow down. It is all a matter of how slick the roads are and how well your tires grip.

In Utah there is no set rule for speed in adverse conditions. We get storms where even half the limit is way too fast, I've ended up on the freeway doing 20mph before because there's 8 inches of snow and visibility that ends 5 feet past my hood.

things like that tend to be hard to prove. in that case he was really lucky they believed him about that sign! usually it would take way too long for everything to get sorted out so nobody would be able to prove the sign was unreadable or something :? it's all so stupid :mad:

They simply asked the officer that gave him the ticket... ;)