Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

I was talking about the body specifically, I have all L lenses except for the 50mm.

The question is, then, would the 50D last nearly twice as long? It's not like DSLRs are comparable to film cameras, they're almost consumables. And if I bought an X3 and it broke after a few years I'd have an extra $600 or so, which by then would probably get me a new body anyway.

I'm well aware of false economy, but I don't think it's such a big deal with something that has such a fast built-in obsolescence. Maybe I'm wrong.

Why not wait for a couple of months and see if the 7D ends up a little cheaper?

Well that's even more expensive than the 50D. It may be better value at the moment, but way more than I can think about spending. Actually I probably won't even get the Kiss, it was just a "random thought".

I want the best chip/image quality I can get (preferably FF) for the least amount of money. Now I get by just fine with 9af points and 5fps and whatever else my old camera does so I don't need all the top of the line specs.

Get a mk1 5D?

You won't get a better base ISO 12mp camera. And you won't see that much difference between the 12 very, very good megapixels the 5D gives you and the 15 okay megapixels the 50D gives you.

He'll notice the better dynamic range, and the possibility for using ISO50 may very well come in handy for longer exposures (I expect he's doing landscapes).

I think a mk1 5D would suit me fine, but searching for used I find none online at the one store I've bought from before and online auctions it's hard to tell but I think they (and the 1Ds mk2) go for around $1000 or so used, about halfway between the Kiss and the 50D. I didn't mention it before but when I checked the store today (what got me thinking) they were offering over 20% "points" on the Kiss, making it about $150 cheaper in effect.

Canon is making all sorts of offers and specials sales on the 500D. :lol:
That is one of the reasons I bought it instead of the 450D or 3000D.

And the X3 can shoot HD movies to boot!
Yeah, there's a feature you'll use once and forget about forever.

What am I missing?
That the 50D has far better control surfaces than the T1i. Although, I would buy a 40D before a 50D for better ISO performance (50D sacrifices noise performance for resolution).

The images that show up are random, you'll have to link to the specific page.
Oops didn't realize. Yup, it's going in the book.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's a feature you'll use once and forget about forever.

That the 50D has far better control surfaces than the T1i. Although, I would buy a 40D before a 50D for better ISO performance (50D sacrifices noise performance for resolution).

Actually the wife wanted to get a new compact digital and I was being drawn to the Olympus with the high speed mode (for super slo-mo). I've been wanting to shoot some movies for a while now. Having said that, you're probably right and I will forget about it, but you have to admit that the feature does hold value (we have a baby now).

Control surfaces? Yeah it's nice to have the rubber grips and I don't like the buttons being in different places etc, but for nearly double the price.... it's kind of like the Ralliart vs the EVO X.

Are you comparing the 40D and 50D images at the same physical size? I read that the 50D is comparable to the 40D but when you take into account the 50% improvement in resolution it actually performs better. The 40D doesn't seem that big of a step up from the 20D.

There are a couple more small things, the T1i can only shoot 500 frames vs the 50D's 800 on a single charge and something else I can't remember now.

What causes that corner color though? This was the 18-55VR with only a Nikon 4x ND on it. Was this overheating? I've never seen those before even on 3-5min exposures.

Are you comparing the 40D and 50D images at the same physical size? I read that the 50D is comparable to the 40D but when you take into account the 50% improvement in resolution it actually performs better.

This. DPR and others like to do 1:1 pixel comparisons for noise comparisons. Comparing a 10MP vs 15MP image for noise with full sized pixels is dumb. In the end you'll view both images at the same size. Yes, on a per pixel level the 50D has more noise, but overall they managed to get the 50D pretty much equal to the 40D for noise. And the 50D captures more detail.

Ah, OK, point taken. So, technically, it performs poorer, but practically, it's the same.

What causes that corner color though? This was the 18-55VR with only a Nikon 4x ND on it. Was this overheating? I've never seen those before even on 3-5min exposures.

Looks like amp noise to me. You're using a D60, right?

Did a quick google search and this seems the answer.

Apparently you can either try long exposure noise reduction in camera (takes a long time) or take a "dark frame" and use it in PS to correct the noise (also takes time).