Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Dyno's these days are $50/3 runs even cheaper if you get in on a dyno day. Just thinking out loud here. ;)

I know a lot of people who own modified cars that always come up with an excuse to avoid putting their cars on a dyno or on a dragstrip. Probably fear of being underwhelmed.
Note: I am not trying to imply that?s the case here.

I did something very shameful today..

I bought one of those stupid cone air filters.

I know they are not as good as ones that go in the original air filter box.. I know they are for ricers and showoffs. But they look so damn nice, and they make the engine sing.. I was powerless to resist!

I did something very shameful today..

I bought one of those stupid cone air filters.

I know they are not as good as ones that go in the original air filter box.. I know they are for ricers and showoffs. But they look so damn nice, and they make the engine sing.. I was powerless to resist!

It?s OK. Nothing wrong with buying a cone filter...:D

What happens to a Chevy SS car that's imported into Germany? Surely that runs afoul of the letter, if not the spirit, of de-Nazification laws.

What happens to a Chevy SS car that's imported into Germany? Surely that runs afoul of the letter, if not the spirit, of de-Nazification laws.
... I can?t tell you the official rules but from what I can see on the roads, those cars can?t be sold NEW over here (or there is an agreement between gov and companies not to do so or something like that) via dealer with SS on them. With Imports however, more specifically classic Cars ... there is no Problem with that. I?ve seen quite a lot german-reg old Chevys around with SS on them ... but never any new ones.

Last edited:
I really want a Saab 9000 CSE Aero...

I have a knack for owning cars with the weirdest tire sizes. Snow tires for the XJR are friggin expensive. Score another one for Captain Obvious.

Debating whether to get snow tires for my car to to drive my dad's Jeep Wrangler through most of the winter. I hate driving it but snow tires cost $$$, and even then there would be days where I wouldn't be comfortable in a low sports car.

Yeah, I might only drive it on the unseasonably warm days, or when the roads are thoroughly swept. Otherwise, going on 5/32 tread on Toyo Proxes T1Rs is just asking for it.

I have a knack for owning cars with the weirdest tire sizes. Snow tires for the XJR are friggin expensive. Score another one for Captain Obvious.

Snow tires for anything that doesn't use a 15" or 16" wheel are damn expensive, so it's not just us Jags. :p

Snow tires for anything that doesn't use a 15" or 16" wheel are damn expensive, so it's not just us Jags. :p

Fair enough. Do you know if the 16" XJ wheels fit over the XJR brakes? My local Jag guy sold me an '01 Vanden Plas wheel to use as a spare, and somebody on the Roadfly forums says they might not fit.

You know, I have no idea. Hang on a sec, lemme go look up my book of stats here.

I will admit I have no idea what I am doing here. Tires say 225/45/R18. Do I need any information other than that? I'm pricing up snow tires.

EDIT:
You know, I have no idea. Hang on a sec, lemme go look up my book of stats here.
AHA! A hole in Spectre's knowledge of Jaguars. This is a rare moment.

Last edited:
EDIT:

I am asking about one of the newfangled V8 models, so his library of straight-six knowledge may fall short :p. I'd rather hope that the Jag guy knew what he was doing when he sold me the 16" wheel, but if that were true, that would imply that 18s are overkill for the XJR. :dunno:

I will admit I have no idea what I am doing here. Tires say 225/45/R18. Do I need any information other than that? I'm pricing up snow tires.

EDIT:

Not so much. I never said I didn't consult books. :D Also, this bit is too important to go by what's in an organic brain. :D

The 16" will not fit the X308 XJR. Some of the 17" wheels might, depends on their offset.

I am asking about one of the newfangled V8 models, so his library of straight-six knowledge may fall short :p. I'd rather hope that the Jag guy knew what he was doing when he sold me the 16" wheel, but if that were true, that would imply that 18s are overkill for the XJR. :dunno:

Yup. The X300 XJR uses 284mm front rotors, the X308 uses 325mm front rotors (that's what I had to go look up) and has the more canted X100 front kingpin angle that brings the tie rod end a bit closer to the wheel. Most 16" Jag wheels will not fit the X300 XJR, so there's no way in hell they're going to clear the brakes on your car.

Last edited:
Not so much. I never said I didn't consult books. :D Also, this bit is too important to go by what's in an organic brain. :D

The 16" will not fit the X308 XJR. Some of the 17" wheels might, depends on their offset.

Bugger. Looks like I'll have to see if I can return it....which is annoying, because it has a S-rated cheapo tire on it for spare use only. Either that or hope that my future blowout only happens on a rear tire.

Last edited:
Bugger. Looks like I'll have to see if I can return it....which is annoying, because it has a S-rated cheapo tire on it for spare use only. Either that or hope that my future blowout only happens on a rear tire.

Might not fit the rears, either. They're 305mm rotors.

quoted for future reference. He doesn't know anything, all he has is an extreme collection of books :p

(please don't shoot me, I was kidding)