SILLY SEASON 2009/2010

Kimi only went to Ferrari to win the Drivers Title.

If McLaren gave him a good car (reliable) and won those titles he should have he would of been a one team/career driver like Hamilton will be.

That would be pretty difficult considering he started his F1 career at Sauber. ;)

You really think Hamilton will stay at McLaren the whole of his career?

He will. But will McLaren? When Hamilton is 30 and another young talent arrives, will McLaren choose Hammy or a younger fitter guy?

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090923161749.shtml

Both Massa and Kimi Raikkonen have contracts for next year, but intense speculation has linked the latter Finnish driver with a move elsewhere in order to make way for the Spaniard Fernando Alonso.

Referring to Massa and his head injuries sustained in a crash earlier this year, Ferrari President di Montezemolo said in Florence: "We will have a Brazilian driver because he deserves another chance, given that he is well.

"Regarding the rest (the other seat), we are reflecting upon the best choice, but we still have time.

Looks like Kimi is gone. Best of luck to him

An updated list, with new teams and Liuizzi

Drivers with contracts or team ending at seasons end:

Heikki Kovalainen (Probably gone, but expected to stay in F1. New team?)
Robert Kubica (WRC? McLaren? Renault? Ferrari?)
Nick Heidfeld (Brawn?)
Romain Grosjean (Expect to re-sign, if team still exists.)
Sebastien Buemi (Expect to re-sign)
Jaime Alguersuari (Expect to re-sign)
Nico Rosberg (McLaren?)
Kazuki Nakajima (A seat at all? Probably won't be back with Williams.)
Adrian Sutil (McLaren?Re-sign?)
Rubens Barrichello (retirement? new team?)
**Jarno Trulli - Toyota (Looks like Toyota doesn't want him. I can't find contract info on him, though. Probably a new team?)

Seats open:
McLaren x1
Toyota x1 (If Trulli is indeed gone)
Renault x1
Toro Rosso x2
Williams x2
Force India x1
Brawn GP x1
USF1 x2
Dallara-Campos x2
Manor F1 x2
Lotus Malaysia F1 x2
** Sauber F1 x2 (If a 14th team is added)

Drivers signed through next season:
Lewis Hamilton - McLaren (He ain't leaving.)
Felipe Massa - Ferrari (Has a seat, according to Luca.)
Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari (Up in the air. Supposedly talking with McLaren.)
Fernando Alonso - Renault (More rumors than my buddy's ex-girlfriend)
Timo Glock - Toyota (Assuming Toyota doesn't leave)
Mark Webber - Red Bull Racing (just signed extension)
Sebastien Vettel - RBR (He ain't leaving)
**Jenson Button - Brawn GP (He ain't leaving)
Giancarlo Fisichella - Ferrari (Signed contract at Monza, will become test driver after this year. Might fill in if Massa can't come back, but it's looking like Massa is healthy.)
**Vitantonio Liuzzi - Force India (Signed through 2011? See things to note.)

Things to note:

I can't find contract info for Button and Trulli, hence the **, anyone have any idea? Liuzzi's test drive contract expired in 2011 and supposedly had a race seat clause in 2010, I have no idea if it has changed since. For now, he stays in the drivers signed list.

It seems like STR wants Buemi and probably Jaime back. Unless either go to greener pastures, expect them to re-sign. Keep in mind one might be bumped for Loeb at Abu Dhabi, but I doubt he leaves WRC for a full-time seat.

With Mercedes now a bigger influence at Brawn, McLaren will probably sign whoever the hell they want. Kimi is the current flavor of the week.

Brawn might be pressured to acquire a German, despite Ross Brawn liking both his drivers. We'll see.

Williams will probably fill one of their seats with Nico Hulkenberg.

Campos supposedly wants Pedro de la Rossa or another Spanish driver.

USF1 still says they want one euro vet and one American rookie. Don't expect that to change.

Only 10 (?) drivers are signed next year, and only 5 (Hamilton, Button, Vettel, Fisi, and Webber) are rumor free. There is going to be some huge turnover compared to last year, in which only 2 seats between 3 drivers changed (Vettel STR -> RBR, Buemi rookie -> STR, David Coulthard RBR -> BBC)

Rumors are still surrounding Renault and Toyota with 2010. Renault might stay considering they got off with a smack on the wrist with crashgate. Toyota will probably only go if Renault goes, or at least that is the rumor.

If Renault stays, expect Romain to stay.

Piquet's name has been thrown in the trash by all the teams. If he's anywhere next year, it's in the Americas.

The list doesn't include non-F1 drivers or F1 test drivers. Being in the states you hear nothing about them (hard enough finding F1 news here in the first place). The only ones mentioned are the ones that are pretty damn obvious.

Thoughts?

Button is having contract issues with Brawn apparently as he wants his salary to return to his '07/'08 levels now that he is a winning driver again.

Button is having contract issues with Brawn apparently as he wants his salary to return to his '07/'08 levels now that he is a winning driver again.

I'm 90% sure that issue was sorted months ago. The team agreed to put his pay back to what it was.

From today's PC:

Nico, there have been words attributed to you over the last week saying that you're now looking at Brawn or McLaren for next year. Just wondering on your thoughts if you were to partner Lewis next year ? you're obviously good friends for a long time. And Lewis, your thoughts on potentially having Nico as a team-mate next year?

NR: I was team-mates with Lewis in go-karts. We had a great time at the time, so I would enjoy being team-mates with Lewis again in the future.

LH: I know that a lot's been said, I don't know what's going to happen, but obviously we've got a great relationship. At the moment I'm very happy with how things are in the team but we have to see what happens.

NR: That didn't sound all too positive from Lewis. He isn't too excited...

There's a heap of better drivers than him. Why would anybody waste a thought at hiring him is a complete mystery to me.

Davidson and Sato to Manor! :D Davidson does the good driving part and Sato entertains the crowd with crashes and spins :p

Davidson and Sato to Manor! :D Davidson does the good driving part and Sato entertains the crowd with crashes and spins :p

Then who would do the commentary during Free Practice? :(

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78880

Formula 1 sponsor Virgin has dismissed any suggestion that it could play a part in helping Nelson Piquet back to the sport - after rumours that the Brazilian could be on the shortlist for the new Manor Grand Prix team.

Virgin is set to take title sponsorship of Manor for the start of next season and comments made by team owner John Booth about Piquet were interpreted by some to suggest that the Brazilian could make an F1 comeback with the new team.

However, Alex Tai, the Virgin board member responsible for group sponsorship who is set to become team boss when the lifestyle brand confirms its involvement with Manor, made it clear in Singapore on Friday that his company would never be associated with a driver who had broken the rules.

Yes, piss off your main sponsor, always a great strategy.

Piss off Piquet, no one wants you.