Life: 30 Dumb Inventions - aka epic facepalms

I dunno, there are a few of those that I can genuinely see the rationale behind. The "baby cage" looks freaky but the intent was almost certainly to reduce rickets in children who had almost no access to safe places to be outside. If it was properly installed (which it most certainly never was), this would do just that. L Ron Hubbard was clearly a freak, but they still make those stupid strapless, backless, supportless bras. Now they have sticky on them. The "beating breast" thing sounds weird but they use simulated heartbeat sounds in hospitals to soothe premature infants. That was almost certainly a groundbreaking concept when it was made. It doesn't seem silly at all.

The curved barrel gun.. would it work? Or just explode?

Yes, actually. The Germans used them a bit in WWII, but they wore out too quickly and were too costly to produce for such a limited effect, so they stopped.

And I am 100% sure...as I am the one who posted them originally, see here

Pfft, things posted in random thoughts don't count because you can only keep up with that thread if you're on the forum all the time.

The things without pithy comments suck, the comments are what really brings teh lulz.

Yes, actually. The Germans used them a bit in WWII, but they wore out too quickly and were too costly to produce for such a limited effect, so they stopped.

Yep, and the principal idea behind it isn't as daft as the article would make you believe it is. Which is why it was picked up by the Israelis and made to work properly using modern technologies, resulting in the CornerShot.

The difference is the CornerShot is a jig that holds a pistol, the original conception was to change the bullet's trajectory after it had been expelled from the casing. The Israeli jig is interesting for urban or hostage scenarios, but it's still just an off-the-shelf pistol in a jig.

Yes, but the principal idea behind both things is one and the same.

Miniature TV: See also: Ipod Video.

Anyhow, motorized surfboard = want. And I don't even surf.

I found my old video iPod pretty handy at the gym. Good for watching talking head shows, races, and documentaries.

Best picture and avatar!

It's so good a "lol wut" caption would work out of the box, "what is this I dont even" might work too.

Last edited:
dog restraint & motorized surfboard FTW

I particularly like the last one, because the inventor is so casually using it, in full suit & hat even...

Dog Restraint... I have a feeling it would only work on a dog that is very still LOL!

it looks kinda heavy, I ain't chasing a dog round with it!!!

They had a curved barrel stg44 to use a defense weapon for the elephant tank. It didn't have a machine gun so made a curved barrel gun to stop the pesky russian infantry.

I like the illuminated tires. Too bad they didn't work.
Seriously, the illuminated tires are so tacky they're almost awesome. If they worked...they would be awesome (...until the "let's over-modify my car into an unrecognizable turd" crowd got a hold of them, that is).

Pfft, things posted in random thoughts don't count because you can only keep up with that thread if you're on the forum all the time.

The things without pithy comments suck, the comments are what really brings teh lulz.

x2, i don't realy care for the "thoughts" of someone i don't know living on the other side of the world, so i never check that thread
i want facts, not thoughts - i'll make those myself