The "New Toys" Thread

I would at least see if you get a post screen or maybe boot with a linux live CD to ensure all stuff is working without installing an OS thus leaving it unused and ready for win7.

*sigh* Finally. Didn't want to post anything until I had it all, which finally occurred about 10 minutes ago (no thanks to FedEx Ground).
DSC00634.jpg

Cooler Master Centurion 590 case
Intel i7 920 processor
EVGA X58 SLI LE motherboard
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 896MB Superclocked Edition graphics card
Western Digital 1TB Black hard drive
Western Digital 1TB Green hard drive
Corsair 6GB tri-channel XMS3 memory
Corsair HX520 power supply
Samsung DVD-RW
Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound
Zalman fan controller (the one with 4 knobs and two switches)
Cables Unlimited internal card reader
Cooler Master Blue LED 120mm fan x2 (all side fans)
Cooler Master Red LED 120mm fan (to replace the fan inside the V8 cooler...quieter and higher CF/M)
Cooler Master Green LED 120mm fan (top of the case)
Black fan grills and stainless steel mesh fan filters

Still waiting for an additional drive chassis to mount the 2nd intake fan on the front of the case, and lastly...waiting for Windows 7. *sigh*

*drools* how much did that set u back?

and lastly...waiting for Windows 7. *sigh*

Just "acquire" win7 and let it run in the 30 day grace period until you get your legal key. Works just fine.

*drools* how much did that set u back?

I have no idea. I'm affraid to total it up. :p Most everything came from Amazon because there's no sales tax, and everything was free shipping. If one or two of the items were cheaper on Newegg, tax or shipping blew the deal.

I think I am probably going to return the fan controller and most of the fan filters. They don't fit on this case. I was planning on putting them on the front intake fans, but then I can't put the front panel on. I'm already going to have to dremel it a bit because I replaced the stock fan with one that's just a mm or two too thick. I was also thinking about putting them on the top just to prevent dust from falling in when the computer was off, but with the CoolerMaster v8 cooler in there...not much else will fit. Thing is freakin' huge!!!

DSC00641.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

I can't help thinking how much stress these ridiculously big CPU coolers are putting on the circuit board.

There's actually a pretty large backplate made of a fairly substantial piece of metal. The MB is also anchored to the case in 12 places. I worried about that, too...but after putting it on, it seems like it should be alright. Even the mobo material feels thicker than my Gigabyte mobo in my current comp.

edit: Most of the weight, though, it right at the processor with the heatpipes and baseplate for the heatsink. The rest of it is paper-thin sheets of metal, and 1 x120mmfan. The big "engine cover" is just black plastic which was also very light. It's more like holding on to a bowling ball in close to your chest, rather than holding one at arm's length.

Last edited:
I pre-ordered, since it will be out in a few days.

Actually, I just canceled, because I totally forgot that I wanted to download this game from the store cause I'd like to avoid the UMD for a longer battery life. Yeah, I have my moments... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just got my JVC HA-RX900s

AWWWW YEAH.

They're fucking massive

DSC01470.jpg

Yes, I know.... the book... shut up.... :p

I pre-ordered, since it will be out in a few days.

Actually, I just canceled, because I totally forgot that I wanted to download this game from the store cause I'd like to avoid the UMD for a longer battery life. Yeah, I have my moments... :rolleyes:

Yup, battery life and load times are much better from memory stick. I've ripped all of the games I own. That way you can crank the processor to a full 333 MHz and get a smoother framerate with no drawbacks!

Just got this:

Griffin%20Reflect%20Mirror%20Case%205G%20iPod.jpg

as well as a new 950mah battery for my 80GB iPod Video.

I still haven't found another high-cap player quiet as versatile as this (my iRiver H332 aside). Rockbox FTW!

I don't watch videos on the Vidoe (I use my Cowon D2 for that), so the screen darkening issue will be fine.

I just traded a friend my pair of 8800GT cards for a pair of 8800GTXs. :dance:

Full case is now full.

Video cards have gotten huge. :p I went from a ATI-made 9600XT to a GTX 260. I was almost as shock by its size as I was by the coolermaster V8 cooler.

edit: Actually, it looks like you could fit something else between your two pairs of drive bay clips. :p

Last edited:
The 5.25 bays have a 3 bay to 4 3.5" drive bay adapter which is empty. But to populate it I'd need a raid card which would be hard to squeeze in between the sound card and the bottom GTX. It will fit, but I'm good with 3tb for now. :p

Video cards have gotten huge. :p I went from a ATI-made 9600XT to a GTX 260. I was almost as shock by its size as I was by the coolermaster V8 cooler.

edit: Actually, it looks like you could fit something else between your two pairs of drive bay clips. :p

Yeah, my 4890 is at least half the size of my MicroATX motherboard, if not larger.