SILLY SEASON 2009/2010

Campos: De la Rosa or Gen? to race with us

26 September 2009

The new-for-2010 Campos team has said that no drivers will be named until after the end of the current season. With late November pinpointed as a very earliest date for an announcement, Team Principal and former driver Adrian Campos remains chiefly hushed over choices although a Spanish driver is a highly probable option.

With Barcelona's Pedro de la Rosa long since tipped as a Campos pilot for next year, the Team Principal spoke of the team's situation. "We want to have the drivers decided as soon as possible but not before the middle of November," he explained to Autosport.

"It's not easy because the nationalities of the drivers are very important, regarding the repercussions in every country - for the sponsors and many things. There are many things that we have to take care of."

However, Adrian does not hide the fact that current McLaren tester de la Rosa is an obvious option. "He's our first choice," Campos commented of the man who last raced in 2006. "It will be him or Marc Gen? but we have to wait and see what happens in the next two or three weeks."

Source

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109092922080/toyota-skips-2010-option-on-glock-contract

24 hours before his solid second place in Singapore, Timo Glock was informed by his Toyota boss John Howett that the option on his contract to include the 2010 season will not be taken up by the Japanese team.

The information was reported by the German publications Sport Bild as well as newspapers Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) and Bild-Zeitung.

A spokesman for the Cologne based team also confirmed the news, but contradicted those publications who interpreted the move as Glock, 27, having been "fired".

:O

that is sad, Glock doesn't deserve this :(

WTF? The guy just finished second! I think he's doing much better than Trulli this year and at the end of last...

Drivers with contracts or team ending at seasons end:

Heikki Kovalainen (Probably gone, but expected to stay in F1. New team?)
Robert Kubica (Renault?)
Nick Heidfeld (Sauber? Williams?)
Romain Grosjean (Expect to re-sign, if team still exists.)
Sebastien Buemi (Expect to re-sign)
Jaime Alguersuari (Expect to re-sign)
Nico Rosberg (Brawn?)
Kazuki Nakajima (A seat at all? Probably won't be back with Williams.)
Adrian Sutil (Re-sign?)
Rubens Barrichello (retirement? new team?)
Jarno Trulli - (Looks like Toyota doesn't want him. New team?)
Timo Glock - (Option turned down. Now free agent.)

Seats open:
McLaren x1
Ferrari x0
Toyota x2
Renault x1
Red Bull x0
Toro Rosso x2
Williams x2
Force India x1 (**)
Brawn GP x1 (**)
USF1 x2
Dallara-Campos x2
Manor F1 x2
Lotus Malaysia F1 x2
** Sauber F1 x2 (If a 14th team is added)

Drivers signed through next season:
Lewis Hamilton - McLaren (He ain't leaving.)
Felipe Massa - Ferrari (Has a seat, according to Luca.)
Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari (On his way to McLaren?)
Fernando Alonso - Renault (On his way to Ferrari?)
Mark Webber - Red Bull Racing (just signed extension)
Sebastien Vettel - RBR (He ain't leaving)
**Jenson Button - Brawn GP (He ain't leaving)
Giancarlo Fisichella - Ferrari (Signed contract at Monza, will become test driver after this year. Might fill in if Massa can't come back, but it's looking like Massa is healthy.)
**Vitantonio Liuzzi - Force India (Signed through 2011? See things to note.)

Things to note:

I can't find contract info for Button, hence the **, anyone have any idea?

Liuzzi's test drive contract expired in 2011 and supposedly had a race seat clause in 2010, I have no idea if it has changed since. For now, he stays in the drivers signed list.

It seems like STR wants Buemi and probably Jaime back. Unless either go to greener pastures, expect them to re-sign. Keep in mind one might be bumped for Loeb at Abu Dhabi, but I doubt he leaves WRC for a full-time seat.

With Mercedes now a bigger influence at Brawn, McLaren will probably sign whoever the hell they want. Kimi is the current flavor of the week.

Brawn might be pressured to acquire a German, despite Ross Brawn liking both his drivers. We'll see.

Williams will probably fill one of their seats with Nico Hulkenberg.

Campos supposedly wants Pedro de la Rossa and/or Marc Gene.

USF1 still says they want one euro vet and one American rookie. Don't expect that to change.

Manor F1 has been in talks with Adam Carroll, Christian Klein, and Anthony Davidson.

Only 9 (?) drivers are signed next year, and only 5 (Hamilton, Vettel, Massa, Fisi, and Webber) are either rumor free or have been confirmed by the team. There is going to be some huge turnover compared to last year, in which only 2 seats between 3 drivers changed (Vettel STR -> RBR, Buemi rookie -> STR, David Coulthard RBR -> BBC)

Rumors are still surrounding Renault and Toyota with 2010. Renault claims they are staying, and are supposedly aggressively after Kubica and are supposedly talking to Williams about engines. Toyota, on the other hand, have turned down both drivers options and are no longer supplying Williams engines. Hmm....

If Renault stays, expect Romain to stay.

Piquet's name has been thrown in the trash by all the teams. If he's anywhere next year, it's in the Americas.

The list doesn't include non-F1 drivers or F1 test drivers. Being in the states you hear nothing about them (hard enough finding F1 news here in the first place). The only ones mentioned are the ones that are pretty damn obvious.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Petrov will probably get a seat in one of the new teams. The Speed commentators always seem to bring it up during the GP2 races.

I hope Timo Glock can find a better team then Toyota, he deserves much better then them. It's Toyota's loss.

It's Toyota's loss.

Pretty much so, an arrogant team of note. They make lots of weird judgements, including resigning Trulli and turning down DC when the Scotsman left McLaren at the end of 2004) and their ways of operation seems to gear more towards a corporate route, rather than a traditional racing team. I have no idea why they sacked Glock, but it's a stupid move.

Pretty much so, an arrogant team of note. They make lots of weird judgements, including resigning Trulli and turning down DC when the Scotsman left McLaren at the end of 2004) and their ways of operation seems to gear more towards a corporate route, rather than a traditional racing team. I have no idea why they sacked Glock, but it's a stupid move.

As I also wrote on the Season Discussion thread, I agree its a stupid decision to get rid of either him or Trulli, as who is better and available to Toyota?

The thing with Toyota is that they don't do F1 because of the passion or the soul or the sport, they do it with 'advertisement' in mind. So they don't really give a shit. But this is also the reason why they're not doing well. A good example is the Melbourne GP this year (or was it last year), they one-stopped Trulli and Glock, but did it so late in the race that it it was ridiculous.

...their ways of operation seems to gear more towards a corporate route, rather than a traditional racing team.
I've heard this from one of the commentators last year, who said that everything the Toyota F1 team did had to be done so in the correct Japanese corporate way, right down to the choice of drivers, design of the car, team strategy... everything had to be decided by committee to please the bigwigs at the head of the Toyota Motor Corporation rather than just the F1 team. The same commentator said their 2008 car was so conservative that it looked like a 10-year-old design, so scared were the designers of doing anything radical that might not go down well in the boardroom full of faceless grey suits who were more concerned with selling Corollas. It was certainly an on-screen tirade, so I'd be willing to bet that it was Martin Brundle who came up with all this.

Timo shouldn't despair too much. After all, a certain team in silver owe him big time after Brazil last year. As for Toyota they're still going nowhere after all this time, so they won't mind a driver who's going nowhere. Mr Kovalainen, do come in and have a word with the CEO of the Toyota Motor Corporation...

...and I've just solved two of the essential questions in the driver market neatly and efficiently.

What do Glock's wages look like? Would this be a reason considering Toyotas current financial situation ( I know it would be a drop in the Ocean, but every little helps

I think he would probably just be on apprentice wages.

He would make his money out of sponsors.

I think this decision has come from the big man wanting a fresh start.

Last edited: