Top ten reasons real men drive manuals.

Yeah, and they're probably on the track when you see them.

Out in the real world... usually not. They're not usually equipped with a firebreathing engine and more often than not the driver is an elderly Brit expatriate who wanted a simple little sports car from the old country.

In fact, I got stuck behind one just today.

So it's a lot like a Jaguar then. :p

Yeah, and they're probably on the track when you see them.

Out in the real world... usually not. They're not usually equipped with a firebreathing engine and more often than not the driver is an elderly Brit expatriate who wanted a simple little sports car from the old country.

In fact, I got stuck behind one just today.

Well fine then! Bring on the next item!

ariel_atom_500_jalopnik-topshot.jpg

Beat that, Jag boy.

Last edited:
Well fine then! Bring on the next item!

*snip

Beat that, Jag boy.

I must say: That is full of all kinds of awesome manliness!

I must say: That is full of all kinds of awesome manliness!

Well, it's getting closer to a bike... but it's still not quite as manly. It still has a chicken hoop and chicken bars.

Well, it's getting closer to a bike... but it's still not quite as manly. It still has a chicken hoop and chicken bars.

Five. Hundred. Horsepower. V8.

220 pounds lighter than a Formula 1 car.

It's just as fast as your bike to 60.

And it's got a straight up manual 6-speed.

It can pull twice the amount of gees as your bike in the corners.

And what are you complaining about, chicken bars and chicken hoops? If you're a real man you've got a hacksaw - cut 'em out and make it lighter you wuss.

There's that thing called a clutch, when you push it your car doesn't move anymore :)

yes, I know. that's the thing that gives me leg cramps after 4 hrs of up/down/up/down...

Mentioning motorcyclists gives me the association of men in leather, nuff' said really...

Anyway, you don't get cars more manly than this:

Benetton B186; It's BMW engine made as much as 1500 hp in qualifying trim for the 1986 Mexican GP, while weighing in at just 503 kg. The power and torque curve was as steep as the north face of Mount Eiger, and you had to work that manual gearbox properly to keep it in it's power band. Their lead driver Gerhard Berger (Who went on to win the race) reported wheelspin at 200 mph down the back straight...

2288864448_5f10e5a55f.jpg

1500 hp lives here...

benx86pe.jpg

"The 1986 Turbo cars really were monsters, to handle them you really had to be a man..."
- Gerhard Berger

Last edited:
yes, I know. that's the thing that gives me leg cramps after 4 hrs of up/down/up/down...

Pussy.

:p

You might want to have your clutch cable checked to make sure it's not frayed, that can cause the clutch to get really stiff and break other components.

Can clutches get heavier with wear? AFIAK I'm still using the original one and lately it's VERY heavy... like Porsche 993 heavy (those who have ever driven one will know what I mean)

My wife's car's clutch has like 0 resistance compared to mine

And what are you complaining about, chicken bars and chicken hoops? If you're a real man you've got a hacksaw - cut 'em out and make it lighter you wuss.

Then the thing collapses because you've just chopped out load bearing members. :p

Can clutches get heavier with wear? AFIAK I'm still using the original one and lately it's VERY heavy... like Porsche 993 heavy (those who have ever driven one will know what I mean)

My wife's car's clutch has like 0 resistance compared to mine

Your wife's car might have a Hydraulic clutch that is like a braking system. But yes, they can get heavier with wear, especially if the cable is fraying.

with throttle control, EVERY car is a manual. except CVT's, CVT sucks

My Sebring was an auto, but between 2 low gears and overdrive, I could hold it in any gear I wanted. Of course, I couldn't prevent a downshift...

Then the thing collapses because you've just chopped out load bearing members. :p

So you admit that they have a primary purpose other than to protect the driver?! See, even you know your argument is futile!

I know no such thing. The fact that they've designed the thing so that the chicken bars are integral to the structure has nothing to do with the fact that they're still on there. An old Jeep CJ is more manly than that because it has no chicken bars and nothing protecting the driver overhead or to the sides.

Show me the chicken bars on a race bike.

Last edited:
I know no such thing. The fact that they've designed the thing so that the chicken bars are integral to the structure has nothing to do with the fact that they're still on there.

Show me the chicken bars on a race bike.

Race bikes are slow. The roll cage is part of the machine and makes it strong, and fast. Much faster than a race bike.

EG:
MotoGP (fastest race bike) Laguna Seca: 1:21.4
Champ Car (not the fastest race car) Laguna Seca :1:05.8

An F1 car could probably get below a minute.

It is not manly to compromise on performance. It is stupid.