Lens Flair

3845531731_cf4554d83b_o.jpg

You must have a 50/1.2 in your bag. Am I correct?

Street isn't scary. It's all about using the environment to conceal yourself, be it sounds, corners, distractions or anything else. Sound is particularily important, being able to compose without looking through the VF is also a good thing.

Wait for a tram. Using my old OM-2 and my dear 28/2.0 stopped down to f/8, I could easily take a shot of a waitor speaking to me, standing one meter from him, without him noticing, getting it framed as a wanted it, crisp sharp. Why didn't he notice it? Because I had the scullduggery to wait for a tram. Buses, cars, crying babies, anything.

:)
No 50/1.2 cause it can't focus for shit and I needed the flexibility and reach of a fast telezoom. This time i may give it a try with a 85/1.2. Everything's in frame except unless I need to level it. The tractor head I was on had to navigate slowly and kept jerking around avoiding deep excavation and potholes. That's life in a 3rd world nation where most of the residents will steal safety equipment off construction sites just for the heck of it.

For street it also helps you have a long lens, lotsa pixels or you are just sociable. Most people dont mind having their photos taken and if they do just delete them. :) Naturally dont take photos in dangerous places or else you'll get mugged.

Last edited:
For street it also helps you have a long lens
From what I've read, using a long lens for street photography as a substitute for getting close just makes pictures feel detached and voyeur-like.

Last edited:
Until your caught hiding and they call the fuzz for you looking like a creepy weirdo :p
Never happened. Once was told I could not photograph inside Oslo central station, and the young guard said he'd take my camera. Happily, a couple of cops were walking past, so I stopped them and told them this uniformed thug was about to rob me of my camera, and said I would defend myself against the robber in uniform.

Funfact, no one can take my camera in Norway without a court order, neither delete my pictures. Oslo Central Station is a public place, which makes it a really nice place for street photography. Just make sure you know the law.. ;)

For street it also helps you have a long lens, lotsa pixels or you are just sociable. Most people dont mind having their photos taken and if they do just delete them. :) Naturally dont take photos in dangerous places or else you'll get mugged.
A long lens can be a help, but I always feel detached when I use longer focal lengths. My favorite focal length for street is between 28 and 50mm (if we're thinking film or full frame), it gives more life to the photos in my mind. That said, it's important to use your social feelers. I've made one really big mistake so far, and that was in Schatila, I took a photo of a teenager on the market. He got so angry I've never seen anything like it. So I deleted the photo.

But generally, wide angle and stardard works better for me with street. But if you don't like to get that close, you could surely use a telezoom. It gives a different perspective, but there's nothing wrong with it. It's just that I don't like it. And I'd like to use wide angle to shoot soccer...

:p

Fall is here so I'm getting in the mood
Autumn_Leaf_by_TDUFreak.jpg

Very nice. :) I did think at first it was real TS, since the noise is uniform, but didn't think anyone here actually had the cheddar to afford one.