2009 Japanese Formula 1 Grand Prix

It's a good question this. As a Button fan even I admit that he has been far too quiet these last couple of races. Barrichello kept showing that the car is not as weak as Button made it appear and Button seemed to be collapsing under the magnitude of pressure the media has been inflicting on him. Hamilton handled it all much better IMO.

Worthy WDC? Well when he had the car he completely dominated and made absolutely 0 mistakes, however a champion also needs to show character when the going gets rough and Button failed there. He's somewhere in between, but as a fan I'm disappointed in him that he couldn't shine even a bit to secure his title.

Just a quick question for those of you who are in the UK - did the BBC have a post-race forum for this race?

Yep ;) It was good too... (Gotta love Sky in Switzerland)

They had the forum and it was great fun watching Button sit just behind BBC guys and Ross Brawn then realizing he was in the spotlight so walked away.

Well done to Vettel, great drive. However, people seem to forget that he's on his last engine, this engine has already served him for 2 races and he has 2 more to go. If he takes an extra engine in the last race it's a 10 place grid penalty and if he doesn't he's running a very big risk of totaling the engine. So it's nice to see him back in contention, but I wouldn't take it too seriously.

GJ Kimi too :D

I'm kinda surprised Vettel wasn't trying to save the engine more during the race, this engine was used in Monza and now after Japan will be used at the final race in Abu Dahbi. In Interlagos they plan to use the Singapore enginge which I believe was also used at Spa.

I can't see them taking a 9th engine unless he blows one pre-race at Interlagos and is completely out of the hunt for the championship at Abu Dahbi. Even then they might decide to just save the cash and run a heavily used one.

Renault engines ''helping'' RBR a lot, I see..

Personaly I don't know what to say to that. Fact is that the driver with the most points is the champion. Honestly IMO Vettel has been more impressive this year than Button. I know Buttons dominance was mostly due to the vastly superior car... he wouldn't be the first driver to win the WDC because of his car though.
That's the problem with modern F1. Any shitty driver can win if he has a competitive car. I hate it. I'm not going to start any big ass argument by saying that Button is rubbish, but that said I do think the car plays a too big role in F1 nowadays. Vettel has been quite impressive this year that has to be said. The problem for me with Button is that he is so smooth, it's quite annoying :lol:. I mean ultimately, you're a racing driver, you're gonna blow the tires sometimes and give it some stick. It's just too dull, it seems like a german style of driving.

Last edited:
I think we can agree on one thing:

Whoever wins the championship this year, has deserved it.

Last few races Button seems to see the championship for him to loose and has gone all defensive - not his best style me thinks.

Raikkonen on his day is peerless, but he needs to be motivated and I dont think Ferrari have gotten the best out of him.

I disagree, Kimi has already denied all sorts of accusations regarding motivation problems.

F1.com said:
Q: You have seemed to have had ups and downs. Did you always give 100 percent or have there been moments where you lacked motivation?
KR: No, there has never been a lack of motivation. All the stories came from the media - basically you guys. I never had any motivation problems. Sure if you have good results life tends to be easier, but then these things happen.

I think we can agree on one thing:

Whoever wins the championship this year, has deserved it.

Meh, Button won just because of the car during the first races. Everybody else were just so damn far behind. Red-Bull have done well because they have an innovative design.

My few cents.

Meh, Button won just because of the car during the first races. Everybody else were just so damn far behind. Red-Bull have done well because they have an innovative design.

My few cents.

I think that there is no questioning how astonishing Button was in the first couple of races. He was Schumacheresque in his lap times when they were needed. But I agree with you that he doesn't really deserve this title. The champions can take a rubbish car and make it perform (see Hamilton, Kimi, Alonso). Button needs the car to be perfect, and scoring 18 points since Turkey just isn't a champion's driving...

Yep, he is just a whiny brat on the radio most of the time. Annoys me.

I hope Vettel makes a Kimi and steals the title.

The champions can take a rubbish car and make it perform (see Hamilton, Kimi, Alonso). Button needs the car to be perfect, and scoring 18 points since Turkey just isn't a champion's driving...

Hamilton coming 4th in Bahrain and could've been on the podium in China with a shit car. :cool:

Hamilton coming 4th in Bahrain and could've been on the podium in China with a shit car. :cool:

Exactly. I just don't see Button doing that.

Hamilton didn't win the title last year for his driving. He won because Timo Glock made a mistake on the final corner of the season.

You will now be ignored in order to avoid a war...again...

You can add a couple more examples from HAM, plus a few also from RAI and ALO to that list.:)

Rosberg allso has been very good with his Williams allways. Atleast he keeps beating his team mate and performs well in qualifying and race. Williams should really keep improving their car so Rosberg can really show the fans what he's capable of. However it is highly possible Rosberg will leave Williams after this season. Rosberg and R?ikk?nen to Brawn? :eek:

Hamilton didn't win the title last year for his driving. He won because Timo Glock made a mistake on the final corner of the season.

Idiot.

That's the problem with modern F1. Any shitty driver can win if he has a competitive car. I hate it. I'm not going to start any big ass argument by saying that Button is rubbish, but that said I do think the car plays a too big role in F1 nowadays. Vettel has been quite impressive this year that has to be said. The problem for me with Button is that he is so smooth, it's quite annoying :lol:. I mean ultimately, you're a racing driver, you're gonna blow the tires sometimes and give it some stick. It's just too dull, it seems like a german style of driving.
I wouldn't say it was a problem with modern F1, look at 1992, 1988, 1980, 1978 for example (and there of plenty of other examples), anybody could have won the title in those years if they had been in the right place at the right time, Andretti and Jones both won their titles when they had the best cars.

There have been plenty of years when it has been mostly down to the car, it doesn't make the person who won the title deserve it any less. At the end of the day Button will not be judged on just this year, like every other driver he will be judged on his entire career.