Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

What's the typical European speed limit? Most of our interstates here have a limit of 75 mph....

I was in Ohio a coupple of weeks ago and their top speed limit is a whoping 65MPH. They are some of the widest roads with the slowest E-way speed limit ever.

I was in Ohio a coupple of weeks ago and their top speed limit is a whoping 65MPH. They are some of the widest roads with the slowest E-way speed limit ever.

Yes. This is because Ohio hates you. There's a VERY good reason that I'll divert south through WV instead of driving through Ohio, and it's the low speed limit combined with excessive speed enforcement.

800px-US_speed_limits.svg.png

800px-Texas_80_mph_speed_limit_unveiling.JPG

I had a thought....

Step 1: Start with this
http://img34.imageshack.**/img34/4307/mercurymarauder1.jpg

Step 2: Cut out the rear doors/back seat
Step 3: Mend together to make it into a coupe
Step 4........
Step 5. AWESOME

They did that, and it was called the Mercury Cougar. And if you did that to a Marauder, you'd deserve to be killed. Obviously you should do it to a dime-a-dozen Crown Vic or Grand Marquis and put Marauder trim bits on.

Not really. It cuts down on the number of fatalities due to deer and cows. I dislike it too, but I understand it.

Last edited:
They did that, and it was called the Mercury Cougar. And if you did that to a Marauder, you'd deserve to be killed. Obviously you should do it to a dime-a-dozen Crown Vic or Grand Marquis and put Marauder trim bits on.

I personally think it would look awesome, and also be a hell of a drive with that 4.6L supercharged V8.

On the other hand, the Cougar doesn't look nearly as good and has a small 170hp 2.5L V6 at best.

The idea with the Crown Vic is acceptable, but I'm not touching a Grand Marquis. They just don't have the look (despite being 99% identical). I'll take a Crown Vic LX Sport or P71.

Last edited:
I personally think it would look awesome, and also be a hell of a drive with that 4.6L supercharged V8.

On the other hand, the Cougar doesn't look nearly as good and has a small 170hp 2.5L V6 at best.

You're thinking of the later Cougar, the one that was FWD - the CDW27 Cougar.

He's talking about the MN12 Cougar. RWD, and the smallest engine it came with was a 3.8L V6.

800px-1995_Mercury_Cougar_XR-7.jpg

There's also the MN12/FS10 Lincoln Mark VIII.

You're thinking of the later Cougar, the one that was FWD - the CDW27 Cougar.

He's talking about the MN12 Cougar. RWD, and the smallest engine it came with was a 3.8L V6.

800px-1995_Mercury_Cougar_XR-7.jpg

There's also the MN12/FS10 Lincoln Mark VIII.

That Cougar doesn't do it for me.

What about turning one of these into a coupe.

http://img32.imageshack.**/img32/6910/200305lincolnls.jpg

It'd be a lot of work and lots of engineering time to make it.

On the other hand, you could just buy a last-gen Thunderbird and modify the body on that as you want.

my newfound ability to wheelspin the mitsu makes want to look up a deserted field or something and start powersliding

The new T-bird is terribly ugly.

800px-US_speed_limits.svg.png

Yep, living in that big pink section on the right. Boo-urns.

^needs more mud

i'd paid to see that

There are some roads through the rural parts on the way to Columbus where it looks like you can go as fast as you please. The speed limit is low but there is no one on the roads and the roads themselves have no turns. Seems like a perfect location for speed traps though.