Official Discussion Thread of the 2009 Formula 1 Season

Glock to Williams maybe? I don't think he will be out of F1, he has shown the pace and potential are there. I expect Trulli to find a place in a new team to help them develop for a few years.

After watching the BBC post race forum I really feel sorry for Heikki, you can see he is driving as good as he can but he can't get any more out of the car, probably a similar case to Kimi in the Ferrari last year, the way the car has developed just doesn't suit his driving style, I hope he finds a drive next year.

Glock to Williams maybe? I don't think he will be out of F1, he has shown the pace and potential are there. I expect Trulli to find a place in a new team to help them develop for a few years.

After watching the BBC post race forum I really feel sorry for Heikki, you can see he is driving as good as he can but he can't get any more out of the car, probably a similar case to Kimi in the Ferrari last year, the way the car has developed just doesn't suit his driving style, I hope he finds a drive next year.

Glock at Williams would be good, but I can't see it considering Barrichello, Kubica and Hulkenberg have all been linked with them. Hopefully he'll find somewhere to go.

I felt sorry for Heikki too after watching that interview, you could tell how much pressure he is under, but he just hasn't done enough for McLaren to retain him, as evidenced by the Whitmarsh interview straight afterwards.

Button won't push to seal title in Japan

By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, September 29th 2009, 09:09 GMT

Jenson ButtonJenson Button says he will not change his approach in order to try to seal the championship at the first attempt in the Japanese Grand Prix this weekend.

The British driver is 15 points ahead of Brawn team-mate Rubens Barrichello with just three races remaining, and he could wrap up the title if he finishes five points ahead of the Brazilian at Suzuka.

But Button insists he is not thinking of that, and says he will approach the weekend as normal and hope the circumstances play in his favour.

"It's another race," said Button, who finished fifth in last weekend's Singapore Grand Prix. "People say that if I finish five points in front of Rubens I can win the championship.

"I know that's a fact, for sure. But my aim is to win the world championship and I'm not going to take any unusual risks.

"I'm just going to drive like I have been and hopefully that will be enough."

The Briton, who has not won since the Turkish Grand Prix, admitted that with a such a competitive field it was vital to try and maximise each weekend, even if it meant scoring just a couple of points.

"If you look at the last few races you could say it is, but anything can happen," he said. "It's just an unusual year where there's so many cars that are competitive whatever the conditions. There are so many different possibilities of teams being quick.

"So it makes it very difficult when it comes to strategy and we know we have to beat the Red Bulls, but that's why you see us sometimes at the front fighting for wins and other races we are not.

"But the important thing is to make the most out of the good times, but also the difficult times. When it's difficult you need to pick the points up and that's what I have been trying to do."

Button, however, admitted he was feeling very positive for the Suzuka race after having managed to score a good points haul in Singapore despite having a difficult weekend.

"It was not my best day or as a team it wasn't our best day, so to come away with four points, and lost one point to Vettel and gain one to Rubens I feel like it was a positive weekend, for sure. Going to Japan I'm very positive and looking forward to a good weekend," he said.

He added: "I love it. I think everyone loves Suzuka, and that's the problem. I wish they didn't. But it's a circuit I've enjoyed in the past and where I've gone well, so it's nice to be back there."

And the championship leader also downplayed Red Bull's form at the Singapore Grand Prix, saying the Milton Keynes squad was not that much quicker than his own team.

"I don't think that's the case. In qualifying obviously Rubens had a crash and it meant they weren't on the front row, but their pace in the race wasn't very good. I don't think Sebastian would have won the race either.

"They weren't as quick as we might have thought. Their race pace wasn't as good as others."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79032

This is exactly the type of stuff I don't want to hear...it's a shame Barrichello came from way back, because he really should have won this...

He's just trying to make himself seem calm, and also calm himself down. We all know he's as nervous as hell.

well its a wise approach, this is probably his one and only shot at taking the world championship. It's time to race with your head and not your heart.
Even if Button wins the championship by cruising home with only podium or P4/5 finishes, I still think he is a worthy champion.

Last edited:
Honestly, even if Button doesn't wrap up the WDC, I hope Brawn goes 1-2 and wraps up the WCC at Honda's home circuit. That would be an awesome slap in the face.

Autosport said:
Hamilton unmoved by Massa comments

Lewis Hamilton was unmoved by Felipe Massa's comments about how the Singapore Grand Prix scandal cost him the 2008 drivers' title.

The Ferrari driver told Brazilian television that had the Singapore race not been fixed, he would have claimed the title he lost by one point.

"All of what happened was robbery - but regarding the race nothing has happened, the result remains the same. This is not right," Massa said in an interview with Globo television.

"The robbery changed the outcome of a championship and I lost (the title)," added the Brazilian, out of action since his accident at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Hamilton said on Friday in Japan that he was surprised by Massa's comments, but admitted he did not care much about the Brazilian's opinion.

"First I have to say that it's good that he's recovering and back on his feet and back to his normal self and feeling good," Hamilton told reporters after Friday practice.

"I think all I can say is that it was a tough season, things happened, there were lots and lots of 'what ifs' throughout the season, so I'm a bit surprised to hear him say that, to be honest.

"I believe we had a fair battle throughout the season, so I'm a bit surprised. It doesn't matter to me what he says, really."

Speaking about the Japanese Grand prix, the McLaren driver insisted he was thrilled to be driving at Suzuka for the first time.

"I love the track," he added. "For me it's the best track I've ever driven. Obviously it's different to places like Monaco but otherwise it's something very, very special for me.

"I had a great time today even though it was wet. We weren't supposed to be running in the second session, but I couldn't help it. I had to go out and have a little bit of fun."

Massa has made an arse of himself with those comments. What a tit.

Safety car really screwed his strategy if I'm not mistaken although I'm not defending Massa by no means here.

Safety car really screwed his strategy if I'm not mistaken although I'm not defending Massa by no means here.

Who's to say he wouldn't have had that refuelling issue even if there was no safety car? He wouldn't be saying anything if he won that race, so he should stay quiet now.

Maybe he shouldn't have tried to make that desperate lunge at Hamilton at Fuji and taking them both off. Hamilton was out of the running then anyway so there was little to be gained.

Massa is clutching straws here... It really won't change anything, so why bitch about it?

I can imagine how upset he must have been at the end of '08, still... useless and pointless comment. Irrelevant too, as the results are fixed.

It's a shame he's done this, it can only hurt his reputation...

Cause and effect. No safety car = no pitlane cock-up. Who knows? It might never had happened. So probably he couldn't win, but a points finish would have been more possible. That couldn't happen because of Renault's orders to Piquet.

"Interfering with the past, no matter how minutely, always alters the present. Cause & effect!"

Soz :p Gone all Kryten on your asses.

Last edited:
Then again, the refueling thing wasn't only Ferrari's problem. Other teams last year and this year had the problem too.

Just looking on Sky Bet and found it funny that while they of course had Button favored to win the championship Vettel, despite being 16 points out, is favored over Rubens who is 14 points out. Guess they figure Vettel has the momentum.

Haven't been around for a while now.

Just want to throw in that I really really do not want to see Button (who inevitabaly will) win the championship :(.