The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Yesterday I saw a guy, sitting on the side of the road, his mangled beater CG125 next to him, being attented by a police car and an ambulance. Apparently they were putting bandages on his hands. That got me thinking how common it is for riders to neglect the use of gloves, which quite frankly is VERY stupid.
An hour later, I see a guy in a mint condition ZX-10, full leathers, boot, helmet and NO GLOVES...:?
WHAT
THE
FUCK

You saw this twice?! :p

That got me thinking how common it is for riders to neglect the use of gloves

Yeah, I don't think it happens much here in the UK because at 60mph with no gloves your hands would get pretty fucking cold fast!:lol:

Yeah, and around here you'll wear gloves if for nothing else but to protect your hands from debris thrown up by other cars as well as insects.

I deliberately put very 'sticky' grips on my 700 that are great if you have gloves but will give you blisters in seconds if you aren't wearing any.

I wear proper riding gloves even when I'm pillioning. In fact, the only proper gear i don't have is pants/jeans and boots, both of which I am going to fix before I get my L's (hopefully). I don't think my jeans will protect me well in the case of an accident, especially given that a dog could rip a tiny hole in them today......

Last edited:
Had the experience a few months back. It was really hot and humid that day and I didn't want to go far, so I went in jeans and without my protective pants. After 400 km I lost my front end grip and touched the ground knee first.

Damages:
Bike: broken: clutch handle, left foodrest, left rear indicator (hanging solely on the wire)
bended: gear linkage, left handle bar
grinded: left mirror, clutch handle, mainstand, that weight on the handlebar, headlamp
Gear: a hole in left glove
a bit on my jacket
jeans a bit ripped on the edges of my cellphone (wich was totalled), the part at the knee was totally fine
me: nice burning on my knee cap, which I still see the remainders off

Conclusion: stick with your plans and get some pants if you want to go further

the pants should be with protection (knee at least, hip strongly suggested), breathable and comfy so you feel not the slightest need to let them behind. evtl wide enough to fit some warm leggins underneath.

Another tip:
Don't go from Holland to Belgium. You will be strongly disappointed by the roundabouts.

^ I'm getting some Draggin' jeans, my dad has them and he thinks they are excellent. Mind, when he came off his bike they fell down to his knees and he got a massive scrape on his leg because they are loose (so he can wear themals underneath) and he forgot a belt. They did a test with them ala Mythbusters where they dragged a guy by his butt down a road at speed. The jeans weren't great afterwards, but he was unharmed.
That and I love jeans :D

Just asked my dad, they are kevlar lined, and he says they are very comfortable and just feel like slightly thicker jeans. I haven't looked at their site myself, but they seem to be pretty popular over here.

I was actually looking for kneecaps, they don't seem to be stock but can be added with some velcro. I was curious how it would turn out when walking. Now I have some textile pants (cordura I think) with flexible kneepads. a bit like these:
held_9301.jpg

You saw this twice?! :p

No idea why it came out twice.

I wear proper riding gloves even when I'm pillioning. In fact, the only proper gear i don't have is pants/jeans and boots, both of which I am going to fix before I get my L's (hopefully). I don't think my jeans will protect me well in the case of an accident, especially given that a god could rip a tiny hole in them today......

The chance of falling and grinding your skin against the asphalt is the same, wether you are the one controling the bike or not.:)

Had the experience a few months back. It was really hot and humid that day and I didn't want to go far, so I went in jeans and without my protective pants. After 400 km I lost my front end grip and touched the ground knee first.

Damages:
Bike: broken: clutch handle, left foodrest, left rear indicator (hanging solely on the wire)
bended: gear linkage, left handle bar
grinded: left mirror, clutch handle, mainstand, that weight on the handlebar, headlamp
Gear: a hole in left glove
a bit on my jacket
jeans a bit ripped on the edges of my cellphone (wich was totalled), the part at the knee was totally fine
me: nice burning on my knee cap, which I still see the remainders off

Conclusion: stick with your plans and get some pants if you want to go further

the pants should be with protection (knee at least, hip strongly suggested), breathable and comfy so you feel not the slightest need to let them behind. evtl wide enough to fit some warm leggins underneath.

Another tip:
Don't go from Holland to Belgium. You will be strongly disappointed by the roundabouts.

I find your definition of "not far" very amusing. When I crashed, it was practically the same as you. My heavy leather jacket and has a minor scratching, my boots barely touched the ground, left glove destroyed, left leg of jeans ripped apart. I got a burn in my left knee that took about 4 years to vanish and a HUGE bruise on my left arm (the bike landed on it).
I felt stupid for not using proper riding pants and swore to never use cheap gloves again.

Just asked my dad, they are kevlar lined, and he says they are very comfortable and just feel like slightly thicker jeans. I haven't looked at their site myself, but they seem to be pretty popular over here.

"Draggin' Jeans" only offer abrasion resistance, not impact resistance, and not much of that.

Fortunately, there's a solution - they make overpants that you put on over your regular jeans or whatever that provide both the abrasion and impact resistance, and they cost less than Draggin' Jeans. So wear your jeans, but put these on when you ride; take them off when you get where you're going.

That is a beautiful bike, and a very silly looking side car.

I had only 30 km in mind to buy a book. They hadn't it there, so I went further. When I finally got it. the border to the Netherlands was so close I didn't care anymore.

That is a beautiful bike, and a very silly looking side car.

True.

I had only 30 km in mind to buy a book. They hadn't it there, so I went further. When I finally got it. the border to the Netherlands was so close I didn't care anymore.

:lol:

Hope it was a good book.

Sigh... dear nephew is calling again. He want to know how to tell if engine bearings are loose. Anyone know?

"Draggin' Jeans" only offer abrasion resistance, not impact resistance, and not much of that.

Fortunately, there's a solution - they make overpants that you put on over your regular jeans or whatever that provide both the abrasion and impact resistance, and they cost less than Draggin' Jeans. So wear your jeans, but put these on when you ride; take them off when you get where you're going.

There's also the Bohn Armor Adventure pants, which go under your jeans (or any pants) and give you impact protection. US$159.