Ownership Verified: Blind_Io's Garage

Nice ride. What model/size tires are those?

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO. Whatever the recommended size is, I don't recall.

265/65/17 if I recall correctly.

And yes, scowling is very effective; doubly so for a little runt like me.

New pictures look great. I can see why you'd want to lose the brush guard too, looks too wide. Tyres look nice and chunky, the BFG AT is a great pattern.

I don't have a problem with the width of the brushguard, it's how low it hangs and how far out it sticks out in front. It fucks up the approach angle.

First photos without the brush guard. I took the X out for a run in the desert south of Five Mile Pass.

It's kind of hard to see from this side, but there's a sharp rock ledge there.
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/10/07/8326_852481867353_1240976_48103419_458848_n.jpg

My friend from California, who was too cold to get out of the car.
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/10/07/8326_852481897293_1240976_48103424_3018425_n.jpg

Don't touch my car:
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/10/07/8326_852482037013_1240976_48103449_2172268_n.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/10/07/8326_852481947193_1240976_48103433_2295710_n.jpg

Looks like fun. I may or may not go on a trip this weekend, since I'll be busy moving and painting and stuff.

Did you run lower tire pressures out there? Sharp rocks make me cringe. :p

Nope, I didn't. The regular pressure has plenty of flex in the tread and sidewall. I've run these same tires before and I know that they do fine at this pressure.

They're your tires. :p I always drop mine down when going off road. It doesn't always prevent a sharp rock from slicing through the sidewall, but it certainly helps a bit. Do the X-Terra's come with a full size spare?

Oh, and have you practiced any tight U-turns off-road with the locker engaged? :D

I will frequently drop the pressure down, I just didn't think the terrain warranted it on that day. I even have an air compressor I bring to air back up again. It does come with a full size spare, which I had checked out when I got the new tires.

Nope, I haven't practiced tight turning with the locker engaged. I'm not really used to a locking diff, so I should probably practice that.

All the locker will do is scrub the inside tire or make you push wide (understeer). Its really fun when you try and make tight turns with the front and rear locked.

I bet. I only have the one locker in the back, but one of the things I love about the X is the tight turning radius. Of course if I'm engaging the locker that's probably the least of my worries.

Dude, love it. I must admit though, I was a bigger fan looks wise of the previous generation Xterra. This one looks absolutely porked compared to the one it replaced. But standing alone, I like.

Also, I had to say I am surprised "ze Germannns" haven't made it over here yet to chide you for buying something you could do without. :roll:

Yup! That's the one! I still need to research what lights to mount on it.

As for buying something I don't need, I would say that I do need it. I thought about all the things that I do, skiing, shooting, camping, off roading, desert exploring, towing, and the logical choice was the X-Terra. I say that I do need it to live the life that I am living. I could change my life and get a G-Wiz and never leave the city, but what would be the point of that? It would be the same as being jailed in Alcatraz with a view of freedom and the smell of the Maxwell House coffee roasters and Ghirardelli chocolate wafting into the cell on the wind. It would be torture.

Hella 500s are a popular budget choice. You can also fit various Hella Rallye-series lights of progressively better output and expense, of course.

PIAA makes some great lights but at the same time they make some utter crap. Hella is almost never a bad choice. :D

I just took a look at the Hella series. I was hoping for something lower profile than the 500. I really like the look of the Rallye 4000i, but it's fuckin' expensive. I would cost $700 for four, not including linking the two wiring harnesses to a single switch.

So yeah, no time soon.

The 550 might work, the Micro FF might also be a possiblility - do two of the Fog pattern and two of the Driving pattern.