phone advice

LeVeL

Forum Addict
My pos nokia N75 is lagging like a mofo (I've had it for 2-3 years, so its understandable). I think its time for a new phone.
Narrowed it down to:
LG Neon
Nokia 6350
Nokia Surge
Sony Ericsson - W760a

Leaning to wards the Sony because its nice and simple (I never go online or anything like that) yet has a 3.2mp camera. Thoughts? Which one would you recommend and why? Is the Sony any good? I find reading the reviews to be a waste of time - people don't know what they're talking about.

i bought a c510 brand new that had the speaker broken (when playing music it had a metallic vibration sound to it) and the other new one seems to be going on the same road, plus video camera quality is BAD, and Sony Ericssons have very high SAR values if you happen to be concern about tis

Last edited:
anything BUT a sony ericsson. you can make a credible case for a 6350

I've had 2 Sony ericssons- a w810i and a w595. Both had problems with the battery (the w810i's was loose and the phone randomly turned off because of it whereas the w595 sometimes refused to charge and had a problem with keeping a charge for more than 3 days of no usage- rated for a week minimum). The w595 also had a tendency to crash and overall I didn't like the build quality- esp of the battery cover, the plastic was very thin and too flexible. Case of they don't make them like they used to

mind you, I also dislike nokias as their os hasn't been updated for years and (imo) cannot handle the tasks that its hardware can do effectively. My mum has a n85 and its butt gets kicked by my aunts lg viewty in speed and responsiveness easily. Again, don't make them like they used to.

I dunno, I'm very critical of mobile phone manufactrers nowadays. Personally, go into a store and just get the assistant to show you a model of it that you can play with for a while and take the battery out of if you want to. That's how I picked my iPhone- everything else I played around with wowed me for 5 minutes, but showed flaws after a while. Taking 2-3 mins to find something that you are keeping for 2-3 years has always confused me.

It looks like SonyEriccson got rid of the joystick thingy that used to break after ten to fourteen months on each and every older phone they made, so go with their phone.

they now have batteries that fail every 12 to 14 months

well, to put it very simple, they are crap. let me explain.

i had a W380, in which the screen failed, the speaker broke down, you couldn't get any signal for dear life, sometimes it will start vibrating for no reason ad would not stop unless you got the battery out, they have their own proprietary memory card format and charger, and the battery is about as reliable as the weather girl (or guy).

all of that happen in the span of a year, i have a Nokia 3210 now and i couldn't be any happier

both emil_t and brydiem have had very similar expieriences, thus further proving my point that Sony Ericsson are the cell phone equivalent of 1970's BL

Nokia > All.

Take the Nokia Surge, best pick of the bunch.

Nokia > All.

Take the Nokia Surge, best pick of the bunch.
I sure do like Nokia.

Here's the breakdown of the Surge for me:
Voice-guided GPS - I will never use that.
BLUETOOTH? 2.0 - I will never use that.
HTML browser - I will never use that.
Sliding QWERTY keyboard - nice to have but I don't text that much, only 400 a month (both ways total).
MEdia(TM) Net for wireless internet access - I will never use that.
CV - news, sports, weather, entertainment and more - I will never use that.
AT&T Mobile Banking, WikiMobile, MediaMall 2.0, QuickOffice, PDF Reader, Juice Caster, AT&T Navigator, Yellowpages.com, Where (U-Locate) - I will never use any of these.
Music player - I will never use that.
Instant Messaging (IM) - I will never use that.
Mobile Email - I will never use that.

How do I know that I won't ever use any of that stuff? Because my current phone has almost all of those and I haven't used those features even once.
The Surge and the 6350 (the two Nokias) also have the same 2mp camera.

.... I think I'm going to go with the nice and simple 6350.

good man....excellent choice

why didn't you just updated the os of your phone and bought a new battery?

Went to AT&T this weekend. I was ready to pay for the Nokia Surge when the salesman told me that since it has a full keyboard, its considered a PDA and, therefore, I'd have to purchase a data plan for $30/month, which I wouldn't be able to cancel. So I bought a Samsung Eternity. Its not bad; I like the touchscreen a lot more than I thought I would. The biggest issue so far is that the ringer is VERY quiet, especially incoming texts. I'll play around with it some more and wait for new phones to come out in a couple of weeks - I have 30 days to return this one.

The AT&T salesman was full of shit. I have a Window Mobile QWERTY keyboard phone, and do not have any data plan whatsoever.

That's fucked. Te fact that they didn't do that was about the only good thing I could have said about AT&T, especially now that the have shit for phones.

wtf, thank goodness I bought all my phone in South Africa. All I needed was an US simcard, ended up with T-Mobile, didn't have to pay any other service charges, only the simcard.

That is messed up. Guess I'll be looking elsewhere when the contract expires.