My First Car

~Smoke~

Car(s)
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500
After having tried to save money for my own car for quite some time my parents came home last week and handed me the keys to my very first car, a 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500. It came pretty much out of the blue since I had figured I would have to pay for my own car. Needless to say its now one week later and I'am one very happy camper. Surprisingly I find the car easier and much more fun to drive then the family's Ford Focus or our VW Jetta. It also broke down the first time I took it out for a drive...which wasn't much of a surprise, but everything is working well now. It needs a little bit here and there mostly being just cosmetic bits but I hope to order a few of the things it needs over the winter months when the car is not in use.

spitty1.jpg

spitty3.jpg

spitint.jpg

congrats.

now go and enjoy the fun of Bristish Leyland motoring

You really should have titled this thread "My First Car is an awesome Triumph" because I reallly, really wasn't expecting anything like that.

Sweet car. I've always been a fan of spitfires.

Welcome eh!

The colors work out great on those shots.

wow i cant imagine any parent giving their kid a classic car, were you looking for one and they got you one or was it just out of the blue? either way, awesome car and it looks to be in great shape :thumbsup:

That's one of the best looking cars I've ever seen. wow

congratulations, and try to keep it in good shape.

I was about to type "oh no, not another bloody Fiesta" but it all turned out fine in the end.

I'll be interested to see how you get on with it, I came quite close to buying one before ending up with the Smart.

What an awesome first car! I love the union jack number plate! It looks to be in really good condition, I'm jealous!

That looks really nice! Congrats, pictures look fantastic too.

Must say I'm suprised argatoga hasn't made it into this thread yet. :lol:

That is awesome, I was wanting a Spitfire, the 1300 Mk4 as a 1st car.
But I won't be able to afford the insurance or fuel costs, so I'm now wanting a Triumph Dolomite with the same (de-tuned and more economical) engine.:D

Good luck with it, it looks very solid and should be (reasonably) reliable motoring, from what I've heard Triumph made the most reliable BL cars.

(Are they just the standard wheels painted black btw?)

Wow, that looks mint! A wonderful example of a Spitfire. :)

Wow. Most every Spitfire I've ever seen growing up in Maine was all rusted around the wheelarches. That is very clean!

It is just crying out for a set of Minilites, though.

Fantastic car! I love those Triumph interiors. Welcome to the classic British Car Owners Club!

Oh and you are now officially more awesome than BlaRo. :p

Thanks guys! I know we are not supposed to post pictures of family member's cars but British cars tend to run in my family.

My Mother's 1964 Triumph Spitfire MK2
Triumphant_by_20smoke20.jpg

and my Step Father's MG Midget
Midgit_by_20smoke20.jpg

and one more of mine for good measure
spitty2.jpg

Last edited: