Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

My dad managed to patch up a cracked manifold with duct-tape once. It actually kind of sort of almost worked for a short while.

JB Weld.

If you can't afford a car, have you considered motorcycles?

We aren't a family keen on them (my uncle had a nasty accident not that long ago by being T-Boned, and my dad was hit on his bicycle about a month ago), but my dad is considering a scooter. We're going out to look at some cars and maybe some bikes on Sunday.

Yup, lots of no fun in repairing Fail Wheel Drive drivetrains. On the other hand, on my Pathfinder you have to partially disassemble the suspension (torsion bars) to get the transmission out.

Basically what I had to do to the integra as well. Also had to take off the exhaust, separated the lower control arm and disconnected the strut assembly from the hub. Never again....never again.

Basically what I had to do to the integra as well. Also had to take off the exhaust, separated the lower control arm and disconnected the strut assembly from the hub. Never again....never again.

This is also on my list of reasons why I don't own Fail Wheel Drive vehicles. Perhaps you are beginning to understand why I hate them. :D

At the moment, all of the problems in my car are somewhat related to the transversely mounted engine :)

They're more or less the same car, and at least they're RWD. :D

tomorrow in the interest of my entertainment, though probably more for keeping my car working properly i suspect, i will get someone to replace the seals and pretty much every single rubber part in my mitsu's engine

Isn't the Volvo 900/v90 series just a 700 with a better interior?

tomorrow in the interest of my entertainment, though probably more for keeping my car working properly i suspect, i will get someone to replace the seals and pretty much every single rubber part in my mitsu's engine

As in a garage? You know that's going to be a ton of money if so right?

I don't think it is worth having it rebuilt.

as in ?my dad and company will take the car and replace all of itnsince i can't do aanything regarding mechanic for dear life?

<----just noticed my title, ?obsessive poster? would be more appropriate. now our overlords will only change it if i get into a epic accident. now, excuse while i go to weld under the rain while having jump cables attached to my person. and throw some water on a cat. all while wearing a giant chicken suit.

Isn't the Volvo 900/v90 series just a 700 with a better interior?

There are quite a lot of subtle changes (940 has some aluminium parts for instance) but mechanically they are quite similiar. I had a 940 as a semi-daily driver last winter, and it's very soft and wallowy, unlike a friends stock 740, which is much harder and rolls a lot less. I personally wouldn't buy either one, but if I HAD to choose one, I'd go for the 740.

I had the most surreal car experience today, and it seems to belong in this thread I suppose.

I was driving down a 3 lane highway with my windows down. I drive with the windows down whenever possible so I'm really more used to hearing my engine through the window than through the car itself. Anyway, another VW was literally right beside me, practically lined up wheels to wheels. At the very instant I braked slightly to slow for some traffic, he accelerated slightly. For a very brief moment I heard "my" car's turbo start to go and engine accelerate. It was an extremely short moment in time, but I definitely had an instant of panic there. It didn't take long for me to feel myself slowing properly, but man was that weird!

It's beginning to look like I may have to trade in my little runabout for a big lumbering full-size station wagon so that my brother can have a car to cart his stuff around in.

You see, I only really use my car to get to uni, and as my course ends in December, It won't be getting much use over the holidays besides the occasional run around in the country. It's a similar story during the year, and will probably also be the same for the second year of the course next year. I'm still on P-plates, a Provisional License where we are not allowed to have any alcohol at all in the system, which means when I go out and have a drink I always have to leave my car at home and rely on taxis / friends on full licenses etc. This means that there's no reason why not my brother and I couldn't share the one car, seeing as we both still live at home and work / study in town. There's no feasible way we could fit three cars at our place if my brother were to get the wagon he needs to transport all his music equipment. That is unless we move somewhere that has at least a double garage (no room to put one in here unless you knock part of the house down). His gear all fits in my car easily enough, but there's a problem - he can't drive stick, I'm the only person in my immediately family who can. :?

So either we get a wagon, or my brother learns to drive a manual, but he's so lazy with things like that, I just can't see it happening. :( Both of my parents are putting pressure on me to do this, but I have to keep saying, that whenever I get a full-time job that requires my own transport, how will I get there if my brother keeps needing the wagon. It just won't work. It's not helped by the fact that my mum's old Peugeot is really just about on it's last legs and isn't really reliable as a back up vehicle, and it's a similar story for my father's car - which is located on the other side of town anyway and not always convenient to borrow.

I hate this shit.

Last edited:
I can't see wasting all that money on a new car when your brother can get off his lazy backside and learn to drive a manual in a few hours. If HE wants to front all the money for the new car then fine, but what a waste of $$$$!!!!!

^I know. This is what is making me so incredibly angry with him, and with my parents who are saying 'Oh, It's okay we'll front up for what's left after you trade yours in.' Fuck 'em all!

I really really wish I could get a full time job (not possible with the amount of contact hours I have with my course) and earn enough money to move out on my own without having to rely on government assistance which would make me feel like an idiot with a false sense of independence (not that anyone I know who does this are lazy idiots mind), it's just how I feel about it. I don't even have a part-time job anymore, because when the economic crisis hit the company I was working for got rid of all the employees who were on the least hours, and thanks to having to work my hours around my classes and work placements I was one of the ones who got to boot. This is what happens when the only skill set you have is to work in retail, and I don't have that much work experience in it at that. So, when I do apply for any new retail positons, more experienced people are always chosen over me, and this has been the pattern since I lost my job back in June. My brother is in a similar position, the only work he's been able to get is as a casual cleaner while he does his music stuff on the side and gets paid peanuts for both.

Jesus, I'm really in a ranting mood of late!