Monday testing: Brilliant or stupid?

piercey

Car(s)
Piper Warrior / public transport
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091011141911.shtml

Bernie Ecclestone has hinted that a novel approach to reducing testing costs will be adopted by Formula One in the near future.

This year's in-season testing ban has been controversial, not because the teams have struggled to develop their cars, but because it has all but ended the test-driver era as well as made it difficult for newcomers to enter the sport.

"I am sure that in the future we will test on the Monday after races," the F1 chief executive said in an interview with Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

"The cars are already there, the people as well. The costs will be kept within limits and we can give young drivers a chance.

"The failure of the current system is that it is virtually impossible to test young drivers," Ecclestone explained.
"That protects the established drivers, but it is absolutely wrong."

Thoughts? I can't decide. More testing is a good thing, but for those back-to-back races it sounds like hell.

When doing it only at selected race weekends and not restricting it to Monday, it could be brilliant.

Looks like the Bernard has been reading some stuff on certain forums and has decided to try one of the things floated out there. Or maybe he's been watching MotoGP.

do you honestly believe bernie would be surfing car forums? :mrgreen:
isn?t he like a hundred years old?

Great idea, although they'll have to clarify engine rules for those sessions.

Reading the article, I think this is one of the few times Bernie has actually made some sense.

I say, after every GP on Monday testing from dawn to dusk with unlimited engine/aero/transmission part changes and only 3 drivers per team at all times.

Kick ass.

They been doing it like this for years in MotoGP, and more than once has this idea been brought forth by commentators and other ppl aswell... About time that old fart listens...

Bernie and common sense. That's something special.

I think this is a great idea, it will improve development of cars and help new drivers.

I doubt unlimited engines. I doubt all day as well. But it would be nice if spectators get to see it for free or something. If they charge, it'll be at a fraction of the cost and it'll help the venue earn back some money.

At least the young people get a place to train up.

I've wondered for years why F1 doesn't do this - it's a great idea and works well for MotoGP.

This is a brilliant idea...but they need to solve the engine problems...

I like 3rd driver running on Friday although that means an extra car or one of the regular drivers missing out.

This could be cool and a chance to see some parts from inovators like McLaren and see some bits an pieces that are weird and would never usually make it to a Friday car.

That could work.

Or simply get rid of the silly test-ban rule.

Hey cmon, Bern does a lot of things people his age don't do. Walk, talk, yell and negotiate multi million dollar deals.

That could work.

Or simply get rid of the silly test-ban rule.

These are not mutually exclusive. Even if in-season testing was freed up it would still make sense to spend a day or two testing on the GP tracks as, like BE said, the whole team would be there already. At least for those teams who would not want to run an entirely a dedicated test team 24/7 somewhere else or try out something top secret.

It seems to me like it's also an excuse to get back testing, but bernie doesn't want to lose 'face' by completely allowing it again.