Spied: Mercedes R-Class facelift Spied Sporting Major Makeover - Almost Undisguised

Xeonidas

A facelifted Mercedes-Benz R-Class has been spied again but this time showing much more of its true colours than previously. It has a brand new front end featuring LED daytime running lights, a new front bumper, new headlights, a different bonnet and fresh side mirrors.

Changes were also made at the rear but these are minimal. However they do include a new-shape bumper, rear LED lights and new exhaust tailpipes. Overall the R-Class has now visually caught up with other latest Mercedes models. Engines will also play catch-up and probably include BlueEfficiency and BlueTec models.

The vehicle has not been the most successful Mercedes model so far with sales lagging projections. Even the advent of a seven seat option and additional entry level drivetrain options did not significantly improve circumstances. Hopefully, these dramatic changes will set the R-Class on an improved path, if only one could classify it properly.

Public debut will be at the 2010 North American Auto Show in January. Soon thereafter it will start selling in the US as a 2011 model.
1346950.jpg
9805012.jpg

4479968.jpg

2480588.jpg

I think it looks better than the old one

Overall it's still a useless monster wagon, thought the new headlights and rear lights should give it a new pleasant look.

It doesn't look so ugly than the previous version. But let us see if i can obtain that statement when the tape is completely off

Who the hell bought it the first time around? :/

I've seen two driving around! Since this area isn't exactly Mercedes country, I've actually seen more R-classes than E-classes. How strange/depressing is that?

my cousin drives one, an R500 in Black, the previous front is uurgghhh... *run&hide*

Hopefully it will look better after the lifting.

They're everywhere in California! Malls, Chinese shopping centres, the suburbs. I will confess, though, that it's a much more pleasent car to look at compared to BMW's X6 (but in the back corner of my mind, I always think 'funeral car' when I see one).

But I'm not really feeling those square headlights in the spy shots.

Looks the same as the old one practically. I think the R was retarded. Why buy an R when you can have a GL diesel?

The only R- class I've ever seen was a maroon R63 AMG, and I remember thinking that it's the perfect family car. Spacious, extremely luxurious, powerful, 4WD..

Too bad it's fucking ugly and costs a shit ton of money.

Did you all knew that it was designed on the ML-Class floorpan?

Its actually an lowered SUV... like the 5-series GT, which is just an lower X6 to my mind.

Looks like a big improvement. Never really minded it from the other angles but it was very ugly from the front.