Autoblog: California CARB's "cool cars" to kill cell phones, Jeep Wrangler, CrazyJeeper's soul

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
California CARB's "cool cars" to kill cell phones, Jeep Wrangler, CrazyJeeper's soul

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/12/ca-cool-car-regs-to-kill-jeep-wrangler-interfere-with-phones/

New "Cool Cars" regulations adopted by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) could put an end to the Jeep Wrangler soft-top sales in the Golden State thanks to standards so stringent that the popular 4x4 won't be able to meet them. According to The Detroit News, CARB's latest controversial initiative requires automakers to build cars and trucks with windows which prevent 45% of the sun's energy from entering a vehicle by 2014, and 60% by 2016. To meet these provisions, vehicle manufacturers will have to utilize advanced window glazing containing microscopic specs of reflective metal oxide.

Coating vehicle glass with a metallic layer wreaks havoc on any vehicle electronic device relying on a clear "view" of the world outside. Garmin, a leading manufacturer of GPS devices, says satellite reception through coated glass will be degraded. In addition, cell phones, wireless laptop devices, garage door openers, and even ankle bracelets for parolees "may be adversely affected by the metallic reflective standard" as they all rely on signals passing cleanly through automotive glass.

For what it's worth, Honda tried utilizing the same technology in Japan two decades ago, yet dropped it due to problems with radio wave devices. We are assured that the Jeep soft-top won't have those problems simply because the technology cannot be applied to flexible plastic windows. Without an exemption for that model, Chrysler will only be allowed to sell hardtop Wrangler vehicles in California.

I wonder if you could just sell it without at top at all, no windows, no problem? Make the top an "accessory" that the buyer purchases separately.

That would be a nice Fuck You to CARB.

Last edited:
So it'll prevent the sale of a vehicle which is generally driven without a roof? Which, by definition would not heat up as much on a hot day?

I'd call them retards, but the mentally challenged people I know have a shitload more sense than this.

Ariel Atom, F1 cars= the greenest you can buy?

Ariel Atom, F1 cars= the greenest you can buy?

Also this

stirling-moss-1.jpg

Uh, why?
The government is regulating how much sun you're allowed to have in your car?
Sorry, I'm struggling...

I can only guess, this being California, is that it's to try to reduce air-con usage and thereby increase MPG. Have they factored in the extra "emissions" caused by the increased manufacturing required to create these new windows, and by the extra workers that'll be needed to make this glass in car plants and their drives to work? I'll bet my house on "no".

Their reasoning is that if they mandate reflective tinting then you will use your A/C less which will, in turn, save you an ounce of fuel.

This savings, of course, would not be at all offset by tire pressure, tire choice, driving habits or the temperature it was when you filled your tank.

It will, on the other hand, add several hundred to the cost of your new car.

This is just pathetic. You gotta love this eye washing eco craze, even if that improves your mpg by 1%, it's still nothing on a global scale.

AS WELL I want to see figures on how much more energy is needed to produce this special glass (including the gaining of the metal, processing etc) in comparison to the expected savings in the fuel economy. I BET it's like the Prius, where more energy is wasted in creating it than in driving a little less efficient car.

So, I should assume the plastic windows in a bunch of other convertibles will also be in a gray area because of this? Not to mention, does this "metallic layer" present any hazards to the earth when the inevitable shattered glass get dumped all over it, and a brand new, expensive replacement must be made?

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2009/10/12/14lt5.jpg

I suppose they will only be able to sell hard top equipped Wranglers in California?

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2009/10/12/14lt5.jpg

I suppose they will only be able to sell hard top equipped Wranglers in California?

And if it isn't already, it will probably be illegal to remove the top - probably something along the lines of "tampering with mandatory equipment".

And if it isn't already, it will probably be illegal to remove the top - probably something along the lines of "tampering with mandatory equipment".

And you know the feds love to do whatever California does. After all, what they think is best for themselves must be best for everyone :rolleyes:

How about California just makes it a law not to get pissed off by the smelly people who leave their windows open and sweat rather than people with air-con.

I am a firm believer in opening windows all the time, except when there is water pouring in from the roof of my car through the windows...damn 300E.

Also, please note where I live...evidently air-con is really useful in actually hot places.

At highway speeds, you're better off with aircon than opening the window.

What. The. Fuck.

Don't know where to start really. How can people really think the motivation behind this is saving the enviroment from the evil car? How? It's just another step towards eliminating personal transportation. It seems so obvious.

EDIT: Plus some money in some Congressmans' pocket or something to the like.

It shouldn't matter either way. If I want to get 2% worse mileage and have a windy ride, then I should be able to.

Of course, I am stating the facts, not implying that there should be any kind of enforcement based on them.