Top ten reasons real men drive manuals.

Okay, then if speed and performance is your primary concern, this is the most manly surface vehicle in the world:

thrustssc.gif

but what if they are some women and children in your way

If you want something done right ...

hence, a manual!

The problem with autos is the same problem with cruise control, it can't anticipate.

As for the bikes vs cars, the one thing I notice is that none of the people bashing motorbike actually own one according to their profiles. Go out and get a bike and see how you do. You don't get a second chance if your front end washes out, like you do in a car. If you tuck the front, you crash your body into the pavement. If you overpower the back and don't have the balls to give it more throttle, the back will catch and catapult you 10 feet in the air before slamming your body into the ground. There is less margin for error on a bike than there is in a car.

On a bike you have less rubber meeting the road
You can't over or understeer the same way you can in a car, if you loose grip you crash, you don't slide a bit.
On a bike you wrap around the machine, not the other way around.

You want to compare MotoGP to F1? Take away the carbon fiber safety tub, the down-force devices, the massively wide tires, and the HANS system. Now make the driver sit outside the car.

What is more manly than not sacrificing performance? Sacrificing performance because it makes it harder. I'm not saying that driving F1 is easy, but crashing in F1 is much easier on the driver than on a MotoGP rider. It's much harder to not crash a bike than to not crash a car. So, times might be slower, but it's much harder to get that time. That is taking a challenge head-on, and that is possibly the one thing that is manlier than "no compromise on performance."

I challenge you non-riders who think cars are superior to try to keep up with my girlfriend in the twisties on a bike. Think it's easy because she's a girl and rides a 250cc, think again. She's stuck with motorcycles four times her displacement in the turns, and pushed them to go faster or pull out. Call me when you can do the same, until then, go back to your air bags and carbon-steel safety cages.

I challenge you non-riders who think cars are superior to try to keep up with my girlfriend in the twisties on a bike. Think it's easy because she's a girl and rides a 250cc, think again. She's stuck with motorcycles four times her displacement in the turns, and pushed them to go faster or pull out. Call me when you can do the same, until then, go back to your air bags and carbon-steel safety cages.

This is not surprising considering I can out-drive a lot of squids in the ZX2.

At any rate, it's unfair in every possible way to compare bikes to cars. It's a totally distinct skillset, and neither is intrinsically more manly than the other. We both have our unmanly side - in cars we've got soccer moms and everyone in a Toyota Corolla, and on bikes you've got... Well, scooters. We've both got our manliness posers - Harley douches and riceboys respectively. We've both got our top-end race drivers.

Yeah, at the top end cars are faster. That doesn't make them manlier. Yes, in the middle range, bikes are faster. That doesn't make them manlier. Yes, bikes are less safe. That doesn't make them manlier.

Bottom line, driving a car and riding a bike take two different skillsets - both of them manly because of the harmony between man and man's tools that it implies. Mastering this is what is manly.

Reactions: TC
You want to compare MotoGP to F1? Take away the carbon fiber safety tub, the down-force devices, the massively wide tires, and the HANS system. Now make the driver sit outside the car.

20060723-SuperkartGP02l.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6H2HvsiTjo[/youtube]

I'm actually gonna change my mind now (a once in a millennium occurrence). The man behind the wheel/handlebars makes the difference.

Put me (skinny, pimply me) in/on the manliest of manly cars/bikes... not manly.

The scalpel doesn't make the surgeon.

Last edited:
^exuse me while i jizz in my pants at the awesomeness of that video

how did he fit his KING SIZE BALLS in the kart though?

Quote from the commentator:
''trough the police station esse at 70 mph''
that is just pure awesomeness

I drive an Alfa Romeo with a selespeed semi-automatic gearbox...

guess that means Im half a man :(

:p: :lmao:

a guy tried to convince me about cars...he drives a diesel powered automatic people carrier

nobody driving a diesel and/or an automatic can ever be a petrolhead...

You forgot "people carrier."

Buying a minivan is the automotive equivalent to giving up the will to live.

While I totally agree with the diesel/automatic combination being a big fail for anyone considering itself a petrolhead, I still maintain that a good diesel with a manual is as much fun than many petrol cars in the market.
They may not be cool but does it really matter anyway?

It also depends on the vehicle. I would love to have a turbo diesel SUV with a manual transmission. Great MPG means more driving with fewer stops, how can that not appeal to a petrolhead? Also you get fantastic torque for towing, hauling or off roading.

I want my diesel, dammit!

So I just totally dumped the clutch mid shift 5 minutes ago. I nearly pooped my pants when it went back to neutral and the engine revved like crazy.

I wonder if any car company will build a proper semiautomatic that will actually let you stall or blow up the engine should you screw up.

You couldn't stall with a semiautomatic. What makes the engine stall is too-heavy load, and without a clutch to dump you'd have to try setting off in 5th or something to make it stall. Although the idea of a semiauto/flappy paddle gearbox without a rev limiter is nice... keep the hairdressers out, that's for certain.

It also depends on the vehicle. I would love to have a turbo diesel SUV with a manual transmission. Great MPG means more driving with fewer stops, how can that not appeal to a petrolhead? Also you get fantastic torque for towing, hauling or off roading.

I want my diesel, dammit!

Most hilarious fun on earth = elevensies in a commercial straight truck. Mind you they come out as 1111's due to the dual rear wheels... But whatever. With no load you can actually leave some pretty respectable marks IF you can hold the revs exactly in the powerband. The slushboxes that are becoming increasingly common on this class of truck are absolutely no fun at all, though (but on the plus side you still usually get air brakes).

I must admit that Blind_Io is spot on that a motorbike is way harder to control than a car. The fact that it's just all engine and you makes you think twice about safety and stability. One false move, and you'll be skidding and injuring yourself.

Cars can go much faster due to the fact that the drivers feel much safer, thus dare for full throttle.