• Total voters
With an E39, you too can pretend to be clive owen:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izo0gMDxHxw[/YOUTUBE]

Man, the things I'd do for an E39.....:(

Last edited:
With an E39, you too can pretend to be clive owen:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izo0gMDxHxw[/YOUTUBE]

Man, the things I'd do for an E39.....:(

And magically transform your car into a 520i when it's time to do the handbrake turn :lol::lol:

cause you cant chip a petrol car unless you'll change some other things like a sharper camshaft, and when you dothat you need to strech the airintake, if you dont you might have for a couple of miles more power, but then the head gasket might blow or the petrol-air-mixture is too fat and then the pistons get shot or even worse, the valves brake and the pistons jam directly into them.

chiptuning might work on a Diesel, but on a Petrolengine, you will ruin it.

You have just won the idiot post of the year.

335i because I had the same decision to make in real life and went for the 335i!

An M5 is an M5 is an M5. 'nuff said.

My dad had a chip on a 1988 K5 Blazer, and by the time we got rid of it, about the only thing that did work was the engine. Had 100k miles on it too.

Back on topic, I think I'd take the 335. I'd really have to drive both first, but I've had enough of old cars for the time being, and I'm a sucker for new toys.

cause you cant chip a petrol car unless you'll change some other things like a sharper camshaft, and when you dothat you need to strech the airintake, if you dont you might have for a couple of miles more power, but then the head gasket might blow or the petrol-air-mixture is too fat and then the pistons get shot or even worse, the valves brake and the pistons jam directly into them.

And I guess the 335i has an direct-injected, which means the injectors spread the petrol under really high presure (similar like a diesel), if you chip it, you'll might blow the injectors away. (would have been even worse if its got a Turbo)

You can chip a Honda if you want but BMW spent Millions and Millions to develop an engine, they're very precisely built, and so are they fragile, if only an little bolt is not screwed to an prefect degree, then the engine might break. All in all Chiptuning is stupid to my mind, get a bigger engine if you want power.
The 335i is a turbo. Most cars come out with extremely safe settings, most chip tunes push the safety envelope a little further. You won't have insane power gains from just a chip tune but you can get some decent amount. Turbo motors tend to be built stronger than N/A because they already take boost so adding a bit more boost won't be that big of a deal. The only thing you are doing is decreasing the life of your turbo.

Also you don't touch engine internals until you start putting much bigger turbos on the engine. As an example for my motor I can go to a GT2871r without doing anything but injectors, exhaust, intercooler, N75 valve, DV and coil packs (stock Audi ones suck ass).

Just so you don't say I know nothing, I researched upgrades for my car at length before deciding that my ROI is just not worth it.

Last edited:
You dont know anything about engines so dont give your mustard to it.

You're a troll and you start pissing of the regulars quite early. I guess it won't take long until Quiky bans your ass.

And I guess the 335i has an direct-injected, which means the injectors spread the petrol under really high presure (similar like a diesel), if you chip it, you'll might blow the injectors away. (would have been even worse if its got a Turbo)

You can chip a Honda if you want but BMW spent Millions and Millions to develop an engine, they're very precisely built, and so are they fragile, if only an little bolt is not screwed to an prefect degree, then the engine might break. All in all Chiptuning is stupid to my mind, get a bigger engine if you want power.

what are you talking about? there are so many chipped 335i everwhere without fail. Dinan also makes a chip that matches BMW's factory warranty. Also, if you do some research, you will find that BMW is also going to release a "facotry chip" which can reflash your car for more power.

Having been on many BMW 335i forums and Audi 2.0T forums, I have never heard a single blown headgasket, piston, or valve from just a chip tune.

The only thing that does break is the high pressure fuel pump....but thats a faulty design because non chipped 335i often have fuel pump failures.

And Honda engines arent as precisely built as BMW's? Please. :rolleyes:

what are you talking about? there are so many chipped 335i everwhere without fail. Dinan also makes a chip that matches BMW's factory warranty. Also, if you do some research, you will find that BMW is also going to release a "facotry chip" which can reflash your car for more power.
To add to that I chipped my car with an APR Stage 1 chip at Riverside Audi, which is a dealership and kept my warranty on the car.

And Honda engines arent as precisely built as BMW's? Please. :rolleyes:

LOL I missed that. Yeah those S2K units that rev to 9K are shit d00d....

Last edited:
*grabs popcorn* this'll be good

fwiw I had a mate who had his "standard" 150 hp (detuned for tax reasons) BMW 320d chipped to something like 220 hp and he drives like the Stig everywhere. Not a single thing on it went wrong. Took about 1 minute to install too.
Plus I hear many good things about people with 335is who are getting mighty close to M3 levels of power with nothing more than a reflash soo....

Still M5 trumps anything

I will stand by the point that the E39 is one the best cars BMW has churned out of it's factory- sure, it's dated now, but other than lack of Bluetooth or a decent nav system, it's still a modern machine. The M5 is the paragon of the E39 models for obvious reasons.

Hey LeVel! Der Stig (and the others) are totally right.:mrgreen: The E39 m5 (aka "the Beast") is an incredible car...I've had the privilege of owning and driving some great rigs over the years - a few of them were 'cost no object' (Porsche GT, Ferrari 335 with FIVE valves per cylinder...Porsche Carerra 4s) and hands down the M5, specifically the e39 m5 is my all time favorite. :heart:

I own one in Alpine white and you'll have to pry the keys out of my hands with a crowbar to get it away from me. It IS a very modern machine even today...in so many ways. Other than maybe distance activated cruise control and touch navi), there's not much that the new cars have over the e39 m5.

Find a clean one and then go spend a few hours in it. Alone. City and Highway recommended if you can do that. :devil:

The navi isn't the best, but you CAN upgrade to the latest version and 3D maps. You can also upgrade to Bluetooth quite easily and comparatively inexpensively (comparison of course being the cost of the 335i.)

My neighbor has a beautiful black 335i and it's incredible in it's own right. He's got the Dinan software and I must admit, that it's a pretty wicked little sleeper. But the e39 m5 is STILL a KILLER - even bone stock. And he openly acknowledges this.

But we both respect each others cars. :bow:

The VANOS situation "can be" an issue if you know what to look for and how to deal with it. Truth be told, it's an overblown myth perpetuated on the forums. :bangin:

You'll love the e39 m5 because of it's practicality - just last night I was moving some shelving home from Home Depot (mine has the fold down rear seats option) and was thinking how much I love that feature and the fact I can fit FIVE full sized adults in my car.

The power....ah yes - the feeling of real V8 power. The s62 engine is STILL one of the best... if not the best powerplants M Gmbh has ever produced.

In fact, look at the new M turbo engines coming out in 2010, they are back to 8 cylinders - same basic block as they've used for years and is also in the e39 m5. THe 'x42/x52 and /62' basic engine block... the "m62" is such a reliable balance of racing bred engine and send your mother - in - law to get milk please combination.... ^_^

Don't be scared about it being an "old" car. Many people on the street still think it's a new car. And people who know cars - will come up to you and talk to you about your e39 m5. Design is a relative and personal consideration. Ask yourself - do you like the look of the e39 or the 335 series?

Chris Bangle did things to the sheet metal on the new e60 m5 that many aren't lovin'... and talk about the way the e39 m5 looks in comparison.

Further thoughts on the "old" point for minute - there's not too much be worried about if you buy one intelligently. People who took care of them did so with a passion and care that this car deserves. Those who didn't should never have owned one in the first place. :cry:

If you've never owned or spent any time around the e39 m5 - there are a number of things you should know. Things like brakes are very expensive - you just can't get away from that. And some option packages are more desirable than others (aluminum trim vs. burl walnut trim). Some cars have mods that you might not want - others have mods that I think are "no brainers" like Dinan's stage I or II software. :drool:

Anyway, I could go on and on about these things and other points you should know if you're gonna' get one. If you're interested in a better understanding of the E39 M5 - check out the M5 Video Guide.

Good luck!

P.S. Buy the m5!! :D

Last edited:
^ It's better to edit your post than to make two in a row. Welcome to the forums!