Random Thoughts....

I'm just trying to think of what better convertible might even be offered. The Mustang is going to be in a special "cool and expensive" category whereas the Seabring isn't. Most rental cars I've had have been American and well, the selection of American convertibles is never going to suit a gearhead.

......My car is a a 4 convertible you could see if they have those :lol:
Even "that thing" that you drive would be preferable to a Sebring in my opinion.:D

Don't resist urge, Austere.

If they can get something more fun than a Sebring, they totally should.

I'm not a huge fan of driving big barges in town, but a big sqishy Grand Marquis like that is perfect if they'll be driving for long distances.

The usual selection of rentals here isn't too fun, but what the heck--I live here, so I see 'em all the time. The last rental I had was a Pontiac G5?, which was kinda fun.
They'll be visiting New York City and Las Vegas... I'm not sure if they're driving the whole way in between but even so.. I know they'll be doing a lot of driving. A big luxury cruiser seems perfect to me but she's insistent on a convertible. Something about the Las Vegas strip at night with the top down... I guess I can see the appeal.

Still, tho... a Sebring?...:rolleyes: There's not a lot of romanticism there. It's not like it's a '59 Cadillac or some shit.

Anyway, the main thing that shits me is that while they're staying in NYC they'll be staying at the Waldorf Astoria... So they understand that on a once-in-a-lifetime trip you spare no expense and do all those things you dreamed of.

Then they get a bloody Sebring?!:?

In other news, I like the internet because girls talk to me on there.:wave:

Last edited:
Surely they aren't driving from NY to LV? That's a 4 day drive. 2,500-ish miles and there's very little to do on the way. That's two times the distance from Adelaide to Perth for reference!

If it makes you feel any better, you almost never get the exact car you reserve. Just because they've asked for a Seabring doesn't mean they'll get one. Oh and even I think that car is the ugliest POS I've ever seen.

Last edited:
http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/1427911819.html

3n63k03p95O85T15P39aj5e2da76539a71c22.jpg

Buy it for $3500, sell it when you're done, have a lot more fun than you would in a Sebring. And it seats 6!

Surely they aren't driving from NY to LV? That's a 4 day drive. 2,500-ish miles and there's very little to do on the way. That's four times the distance from Adelaide to Perth for reference!
:think: I'm not sure. I really should ask her some more questions rather than just giving her lists of various candies I want her to bring me back (Sugar Daddies, Junior Mints)

If it makes you feel any better, you almost never get the exact car you reserve. Just because they've asked for a Seabring doesn't mean they'll get one. Oh and even I think that car is the ugliest POS I've ever seen.

I remember when my family went to Tasmania when I was about 16. I paid for the rental car and I insisted that we get a medium sedan instead of a little cheap hatchback. The website said "Camry or similar". It's that "similar" that gets you! We ended up with a Huyundai Sonata or Elantra or some shit - I don't know, they're all the same. Point is, I know what you're saying; You rarely get what you're hoping for. I'm still bitter (a decade later) for paying money to ride around in a Hyundai.:mad:

Anyway, It'll be funny if they have no convertibles left and they just give her a car that's as common as muck. One that they just have lying around because they have thousands of them on fleet: The Lincoln Town Car.:D

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/1427911819.html

3n63k03p95O85T15P39aj5e2da76539a71c22.jpg

Buy it for $3500, sell it when you're done, have a lot more fun than you would in a Sebring. And it seats 6!
Me and a couple of mates of mine are thinking of doing the same sort of thing with a road trip up to Darwin and an old Kingswood or similar. My sister wouldn't have a bar of it, though. It would be "too much hassle". Also, she doesn't know much about cars (she drives a Toyota) so she wouldn't know how to spot a lemon or whatever.

It is a good idea though... It's more fun than a rental and because you own it you can smoke in it, eat in it... whatever, you don't have to worry about anything. Then you sell it and make virtually all your money back.

Last edited:
This is the 2nd time I've really felt like I was discouraging someone from "the great American roadtrip," and I don't mean that. I just don't think people always realize how far it is although you guys are much more used to that than Europeans but for more comparison
NYC - LV = 2,500 mi (4,000 km)
Adelaide to Darwin 1,800 mi (3,000 km)

Plenty of people do these drives all the time but you do have to be dedicated. I may put up a map and point out all the highlights of things to see between. It's about as interesting as the interior of Oz.

You just want the Sugar Daddy wrapper don't you? It's just caramel on a stick. Nothing special. Junior mints are cool though even outside operating rooms.

Don't have her buy a cheap car 3rd party. She's just going to get scammed. Plus how is she going to register and insure it?

Last edited:
This is the 2nd time I've really felt like I was discouraging someone from "the great American roadtrip," and I don't mean that. I just don't think people always realize how far it is although you guys are much more used to that than Europeans but fore more comparison
NYC - LV = 2,500 mi
Adelaide to Darwin 1,800 mi

Plenty of people do these drives all the time but you do have to be dedicated. I may put up a map and point out all the highlights of things to see between. It's about as interesting as the interior of Oz.
The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that they're not driving the whole way. It doesn't make sense that they would rent a car to see New York City... no, no... I'm sure they'll just rent the car once they hit California, Nevada etc. :think:

You just want the Sugar Daddy wrapper don't you? It's just caramel on a stick. Nothing special. Junior mints are cool though even outside operating rooms.
Actually, I first learned about the Sugar Daddy from the Simpson's. "Can you get this Sugar Daddy off my back?" Funny stuff. Anyway, I had one years and years ago and all I remember about is that it was enormous. I was eating at it for a good fifteen minutes before I was even half way through. It was awesome. Junior Mints I obviously just want from the Seinfeld episode.

Don't have her buy a cheap car 3rd party. She's just going to get scammed. Plus how is she going to register and insure it?
That's a valid question.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that they're not driving the whole way. It doesn't make sense that they would rent a car to see New York City... no, no... I'm sure they'll just rent the car once they hit California, Nevada etc. :think:

This is exactly what we recommended to another poster and what I'd recommend for her. There are apparently big charges if you drop off a rental car too far away from where you started too. You really do need a car in Vegas/Southern California since transit is spotty plus diving is easy and people will be considerate. Remind her the car will be an auto though.

Actually, I first learned about the Sugar Daddy from the Simpson's. "Can you get this Sugar Daddy off my back?" Funny stuff. Anyway, I had one years and years ago and all I remember about is that it was enormous. I was eating at it for a good fifteen minutes before I was even half way through. It was awesome. Junior Mints I obviously just want from the Seinfeld episode.

Hum, I missed that Simpsons. Sugar daddies come in different sizes. I think they're smaller now than when I was a kid. I haven't seen a giant one in a long time, but then I haven't really shopped for them. I can just see you rolling down the windows in the Merc reclining gangsta style with your sugar daddy lollypop, spewing bad pickup lines at the ladies for a laugh one weekend.

By the way, Merican mountain dew tastes exactly the same as non caffinated dew. For that matter, Amp tastes exactly like mountain dew but with way more caffeine that caffinated dew.

Yeah, I was completely joking on that. I'm sure for her purposes a Sebring will be fine.

And I like Austere's reasoning on the benefits of the internet :thumbsup: must be why I spend so much time here.

Isn't it great to come home and find out that some asshat has been trying to break in to your place whilst you've been away, love this place.

Bleep, bleep, bleep, bleepin' bleepity bleep. Got on the bus, saw there were two empty seats side-by-side, took the window one, then a girl sits down next to me. She says "hello". I'm perplexed and can only say "hello" back to her, and then for almost 15 minutes on the bus we stay silent. :| And I only manage to find a "good-bye" when we both get off the bus, funnily enough, both at the same stop.

I felt like slapping myself a couple of times a few minutes afterwards. Damn, I didn't even ask for her name...

This is exactly what we recommended to another poster and what I'd recommend for her. There are apparently big charges if you drop off a rental car too far away from where you started too. You really do need a car in Vegas/Southern California since transit is spotty plus diving is easy and people will be considerate. Remind her the car will be an auto though.
It's kind of embarrassing now how little I know about her trip. I'll really have to ask her some questions... it's the brotherly thing to do.

Hum, I missed that Simpsons.
Aw, you're kidding me! It was a really good one from the 90's when they were in their prime! I remember the bit but I don't remember which episode it was... Could have been the Lisa Needs Braces episode. :think:

Sugar daddies come in different sizes. I think they're smaller now than when I was a kid. I haven't seen a giant one in a long time, but then I haven't really shopped for them.
Oh, I'm only into if it's humongous so I really hope they still make them that way.:(

I can just see you rolling down the windows in the Merc reclining gangsta style with your sugar daddy lollypop, spewing bad pickup lines at the ladies for a laugh one weekend.
I do that sort of thing all the time.:|

Even "that thing" that you drive would be preferable to a Sebring in my opinion.:D

My car is terrible in a good way because it is lots of fun. I seriously drove home with this face last night for no other reason than enjoy my commute :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

In other news, I like the internet because girls talk to me on there.:wave:

Awwwww :lol:

Bleep, bleep, bleep, bleepin' bleepity bleep. Got on the bus, saw there were two empty seats side-by-side, took the window one, then a girl sits down next to me. She says "hello". I'm perplexed and can only say "hello" back to her, and then for almost 15 minutes on the bus we stay silent. :| And I only manage to find a "good-bye" when we both get off the bus, funnily enough, both at the same stop.

I felt like slapping myself a couple of times a few minutes afterwards. Damn, I didn't even ask for her name...
Also cute post, you flirt like james may! :lol:

Yay, I just got my first neg-rep ever!
And as usual it was an unsigned and totally dumb one :-D

I could always give you a signed one if you really want. I've given negreps for lulz, always signed.