Auto Annoyances

I hate that it hasn't broken even slightly in 80,000 miles. What kind of ownership experience is this shit? I got the tools and the workshop manual all ready to do some fixing, but nothing.

Oh, wait, that's because they all use stupid Apple adapters so that iCrap users don't have to think about any UI other than "CLICKZ HEAR STOOOOPID"

Here's another one. Ipod adapters standard. My mothers' F150 has ipod interface standard. My Alpine headunit has full ipod control. We don't have apple products in this house, so what end's up happening is we have to go into hidden menus and change settings to get a basic aux input (without any amplification, so you have to turn the mp3 player to maximum volume) and you have to control everything directly on the mp3 player.

Slightly less annoying, I could get a B&O sound system if I bought an Aston, Audi or Merc-AMG, which would then be able to control my mp3 player through the system. However, there's also an annoyance there having to buy one of those.

I hate that it hasn't broken even slightly in 80,000 miles. What kind of ownership experience is this shit? I got the tools and the workshop manual all ready to do some fixing, but nothing.

Lemme suggest this:

flamethrower.jpg

I would like my central locking to extend to the boot's lock.

The steering wheel in my Mercedes-Benz is not dead-center in front of the driver; It's a centimeter or two off to the the right. That's a bit annoying in what is supposedly the supreme example of the quest for automotive perfection.

Also, while I'm on the subject, there are a few things that they've made out of plastic which I think really should have been made out of metal. But I suppose that in the late 60's plastic was something of a wonder material which was cheap, light and easy to make so I can't blame them for overusing it. It's mainly just little things though, like for example some of the exterior trim is held on by plastic clips that whither over time and break. A more major example would be the little thing that holds the window winding mechanism to the other bit of the thingy. When that breaks the windows fall down. Lucky it doesn't rain in this country! Pretty much the only plastic part under the bonnet is the windshield washer fluid reservoir and guess what? It's the only thing under there that's broken.

For some reason, Mercedes-Benz elected to ship the cars to Australia without any seatbelts, figuring that they could just have them fitted here by a local company and to Australian standards or whatever... The problem is that the belts look out of place and are a bunch of ill-fitting shit.

There is no demister on the rear screen.

There are no hazard lights.

The speedometers fail. So do the clocks. And the indicator stalks. And the central locking systems.

The swing axle causes irregular tyre wear and handling. At first you think it's understeering but then before you know it they're calling up dudes with yellow eyes to tell them there's a new liver available. And it's yours. Because you've been killed. By oversteer. And now they're harvesting your organs.

Oh Yeah!! The bloody strip of trim down the side that I mentioned earlier? They have these little plastic caps on the ends that fall off the split second the car comes off the production line and that exposes the razor-sharp edge of the chrome strip. W108 owners all know about the holes in your pantaloons that this causes. Damn! The number of times I've been at a wreckers yard or whatever, going through the old W108's and 9's and had my pants torn open by those bloody strips! Now I have a dedicated pair of holey pants that I only wear when I'm working on the Mercedes-Benz.

The cigarette lighter doesn't work!

The carburettors are unfathomable. And this one time? Leaking petrol onto the exhaust manifold!

People assume you are compensating for a small penis... which of course, I am... but it's still annoying.

No cup holders at all! Putting a McDonald's thickshake between your legs is fun in summer time but otherwise it just melts it faster.

The front grill rises with the bonnet and the first few times you work on it you forget this fact and you bonk your noggin on it as you step away. I dunno if you've ever bonked your noggin on a Mercedes-Benz but it's like when you clonk coconuts with a dog: Dog doesn't feel shit but you be all fucked up and dizzy for a half hour. That front grill is solid, lemme tell ya... do not ever get run down by a W108 or 9 because it will ruin your shit.

Dust gets into the boot.

The cassette player is after-market and it doesn't work. Not that it matters because the speakers don't work. Not that that matters either because it's a fucking cassette player! It would be nice to at least be able to listen to the radio but it's not like it matters because the aerial is rusted stuck into the collapsed, "down" position.

Did I mention the fuel consumption? Because that seems like a glaring omission.

But the thing that annoys me the most is the fact that there's no auxiliary jack for my iPod. You wankers. :p

Last edited:
The steering wheel ... yadayada ... You wankers. :p

Have you had your wheels aligned and steering rack checked? It might've taken a hit in some point of its long and arduous life and made the car go not entirely straight.

I hate cars without cupholders. Just about every time I got home with the 535i I was tidying up after spilling my Battery all over the dash.

Also, it seems like you've run into a pretty crappy classic Merc . :lol:

Last edited:
Or is it that the entire steering column is off?

Edit: Yeah, I don't have cupholders either. And I'm a coffee-drinking guy.

But the thing that annoys me the most is the fact that there's no auxiliary jack for my iPod. You wankers. :p

Well, I'm sorry my car is made of more sturdy plastic then yours and the radio is the only thing that annoys me on a daily basis despite it being made by drunks in mexico :p

Oh wait, I forgot, the hose of the wiper fluid pops off sometimes but I taped it back in place no worries :cool:
The top motor is broken but I can put it up and down manually so that only bothers me in the summer when I am feeling lazy.
The tail lights go out occasionally but that's all that's gone wrong with it. What a good little car it is ILU Peggybeetle. :D

That my aftermarket head unit works great - with the exception of the stupid thing having been fried a little by the death throwes of a previous car's alternator failure. As a result, the RAM that backs the anti-skip system doesn't work... And I spend a LOT of time in Pennsylvania, where the concept of a flat road is completely alien.

And to confound this, I cross between radio markets on a daily basis - and on the way out the stations fade away at one spot and on the way back in, they don't fade back in until a completely different place like 15 miles down the farking road from where they faded out. I suspect this is because Ford saw fit to mount the antenna at a stupid 45 degree angle.

My (stock) alloys throw wheel weights off about 10 seconds after I get them put on. Therefore tire balance is impossible to maintain and thus it chews through tires like nobody's business.

I've driven the car MAYBE 15 miles over the past 100,000 miles without some kind of vibration coming from something (be it balancing, wheel bearings, warped rotors, alignment, whatever).

One cupholder for the entire back seat, and it's on the floor between the center back seat passenger's feet. WTF?

The front seat cupholders are shoved up underneath the dashboard center console. Medium soft drink cups will not clear it - this despite the fact that this particular model year features "repositioned front cupholders to fit larger cups" - this reposition meant lowering them down closer to the ground and putting in a removable liner to fit those retarded McDicks supersize cups with the extra-large base. This also means that my leg is touching my beverage and that there is no reliable way to grab it without looking. I have since repurposed the space between my handbrake and seat edge as a "cupholder" - turns out that if you wedge a drink in there it'll stay.

While we're on the subject of car radios and auto annoyances, how about the fact that our Subaru Legacy has trouble picking up Worcester-based radio stations in Worcester? Or the fact that WGBH Boston broadcasts at 27,000 watts, but I still can barely pick up Wait Wait Don't Tell Me :)love:) in Worcester but I can listen to it clearly in Sturbridge, 20 miles away? :?

I blame the stupid antenna etching on the back window that miserably passes for an antenna - our 1996 Nissan Sentra with its wobbly poke-you-in-the-eye antenna had better radio reception, at least before the radio died.

Last edited:
People assume you are compensating for a small penis... which of course, I am... but it's still annoying.

Wait! Is it growing back?

Austere said:
Anyway, I'm off to eat my dick.

Anyhow I have absolutely no problems with my car. It has some minor issues not worth mentioning, but besides that works like an angel.

Last edited:
For you and I there is a little module that plugs into the CD changer port in the back of the unit that gives us two aux inputs. :D

Wait what? Where?? And does it disable the CD changer, or does it give a passthrough?

If the Jag uses an Alpine unit, you can get an adapter which will make the iPod show up as a CD changer would. Search for ipod m bus adapter.

Last edited:
If the Jag uses an Alpine unit, you can get an adapter which will make the iPod show up as a CD changer would. Search for ipod m bus adapter.

Sadly, mine was the year before they switched to Alpine; it has a Harman Kardon system.