Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

There's no thread for the forthcoming V reimagining, is there? (pah! you can't search for a single letter)

In any case, the pilot's recieved critical accolades and it sounds like it should be good. They don't want to air it as one continous series, they're breaking it up - first four episodes are going to be in November and then no new episodes until March, that alone makes me want to watch... for some reason.

wrong random thoughts thread.

Heading to technology section...

Last edited:
Just watched Jackie Chan's new movie, Shinjuku Incident. The story is pretty good, maybe a bit cliched. I've seen some similar storyline in a lot of the HK gang movies. But it's still a good watch. I wish there were more action though, since they mostly fight with knives, they could've included more fight scenes with Jackie Chan.

I really can't get a handle on GPL. I'm terrible at trying to drive those things!

this is entirely normal. I've been playing on and off (more off than on lately) for YEARS and I still find it hard to string a few laps together without crashing.

I usually end up doing the James May driving style just to finish

Hrmm, Theater of Tragedy's new release Forever is the World isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Sorta reminds me of Aegis with elements of Storm and Velvet mixed in. Still miss Liv Kristine though...

Also got my hands on a new Dark Tranquility live album, Where Death is the Most Alive which is excellent!

Started playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and what a brilliant game it is; not only for the game itself, but how well it runs on full settings on my PC. Finally, a GOOD port from the Xbox 360! :thumbsup:

Has anybody been to This Is It? Thinking of going this Wednesday...

Forza 3 has inspired some random thoughts on my fondest memories of racing games.

NASCAR Racing
I hate Nascar, but this was my first ever racing game outside of the arcade, and at the time, I wasn't tall enough to reach the pedals, so arcade racing was horrible. This game had the ability to paint designs on your car and it had damage with spectacular wrecks, so you can imagine I was quite satisfied as a wee lad.

Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed 3 was quite a memorable title for me mainly because of its endless modability. I used to mess around and create flying cars, and the downloads online were endless. Hot Pursuit mode was also incredibly fun. Trying to outrun the police in a 300mph school bus: priceless.

Star Wars Racer
How cool are pod racers when you are eight? Very. How cool is being able to race pod racers across exotic planets when you are eight? Indescribably.

Crash Team Racing
I still play this game at the occasional party. As Sony's Mario Kart equivalent, I don't think this needs further explanation.

Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed
Combining time travel with a racing game that featured only cars from the manufacturer that I was absolutely obsessed with as a kid, Porsche Unleashed is one of my fondest racing memories. I really would like to see another game like this made.

Gran-Turismo 3 & 4
Honestly, who doesn't have fond memories of their first time with the Gran Turismo series. If there is any game that really opened my eyes to the world of racing, it is this. I was absolutely enthralled by the wide selection of cars and the ability to upgrade and compete across so many races. Rally racing was fantastic as well, and I always loved trying to put rally tyres on the least rally-like cars.

Forza 3 has inspired some random thoughts on my fondest memories of racing games.

Star Wars Racer
How cool are pod racers when you are eight? Very. How cool is being able to race pod racers across exotic planets when you are eight? Indescribably.

Star Wars Racer, wow that takes me back a good few years. I remember buying a Nintendo 64 and i only bought 3 games for it. Perfect Dark, Goldeneye and Star Wars: Racer.
It was probably one of the few good things to come out of that mess called Star Wars: Episode 1.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_lmHDBMi3M[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Star Wars Racer was surprisingly fun.

Broke out the Driving Force yesterday for the first time in 2+ years, why did I ever start playing with the controller. It's tiny and only turns 90 degrees each way and is a bit loose but it's still awesome.

My big problem now with GT5 on the horizon is that I want a G25/G27. Really want. But there's no way I'd spend that kind of money on one...

Just been watching John Carpenter's Escape from New York on ITV and can't believe how well the film has aged and still remains just as good when i watched it years ago. They certainly don't make them like this anymore!

I just watched "Hunt for Red October" yesterday and thought the same thing.

Just been watching John Carpenter's Escape from New York on ITV and can't believe how well the film has aged and still remains just as good when i watched it years ago. They certainly don't make them like this anymore!

Strangely i watched it a few weeks ago and though they exact opposite.. :p

meh, it depends on the mood though. I watched Top Gun again after many years for lulz, and all the aircraft seemed so old and lo tech... jagged edges on the graphics, etc...

it's the same with all of the really cool older movies, you watch them today, thinking they're fine, but in 5/10 years from now it'll be so bad, compared to what's out now. All the special effects will look so fake, even if you never noticed it the first time around.

See also : Blade Runner, Total Recall, Terminator 1, BTTF1, Robocop

Crash Team Racing
I still play this game at the occasional party. As Sony's Mario Kart equivalent, I don't think this needs further explanation.

Just saw this. I spent so much time with this game as a kid, and I still have it (and it still plays on my PS3). Some of the shortcuts are damn impossible, and taking Sewer Speedway in a single powerslide is epic fun.

Went to This Is It last night. After seeing it it really is a must-see for any Michael Jackson fan, as you can really feel all the passion, the soul and love he put into the creation of those concerts. And even though he was just rehearsing, his voice was incredible and the show was going to something incredible and unique.