Windows 7, so who's tried it?

What exactly does Easy Transfer "transfer"? All I got from the Vista partition are some files with random numbers and letters. :dunno:

I thought it transfers main files like My Documents and My Programs. Anyway, I'm just manually going to copy the game files from My Programs (all the other programs like antivirus and firefox I'll just reinstall).

After I do that, I will probably just delete the old Vista partition, what would be the best way to do that?

^ I think it does documents, pictures, musci, etc plus internet favourites/bookmarks and some other settings that are actually a good idea to transfer over.

*googles*

yeah, jsut a lot of files and settings. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928635 there ya go, Microsoft's take on it.

Got the Chinese version of Win 7 Ultimate, it works fine now.

You do NOT need Ultimate to change display language. It just allows you to do it in an easier way. Here is how to change language on a Windows Home Premium or Professional edition. You will need the language pack files of the language you want to convert to which in turn will tell you what your locale is.

Run CMD as administrator and type:
Code:
DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:[COLOR="red"]path to lp[/COLOR]
It will take about 2-5 minutes to complete. Note that there is no space between packagepath and path, so typing PackagePath: C:\ will not work.

Then type:
Code:
bcdedit /set {current} locale [COLOR="Red"]your locale[/COLOR]

Then type:
Code:
bcdboot %WinDir% /l [COLOR="Red"]your locale[/COLOR]

Then open up the registry (run regedit) and go to:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\ MUI\ UILanguages
remove folder en-US

Reboot and enjoy your translated Windows.

So, I just discovered over the weekend that Win7 Starter Edition doesn't even let you change the desktop wallpaper.

Anyone got a hack for that?

Yeah, it exists entirely to convince people that netbooks aren't "real computers." What the final word on whether it limits concurrently running programs?

So, I just discovered over the weekend that Win7 Starter Edition doesn't even let you change the desktop wallpaper.

Anyone got a hack for that?

Why would they do that? Have you tried applying images to the desktop through Firefox? That's the usual workaround for Group Policies that disallow custom wallpapers.

Simplified Chinese.

Why would they do that? Have you tried applying images to the desktop through Firefox? That's the usual workaround for Group Policies that disallow custom wallpapers.

Nope, no workie. Neither does setting it from DisplayFusion.

Can you take ownership of the background picture, open it with a editor and paste in what you want for a background and save it?

Is there a way to permanetly allow a program without turning off UAC? I know UAC is annoying, but this comp is mostly used by my parents, they need the UAC nanny.

Hmmm...the "drag-the-window-to-each-side-and-automatically-split-screen' doesn't work easily with an extended desktop off to the left...you end up dragging it to the right, then dragging the other window over to the right, then moving it to the left..

Anyone find a way to get rid of the Shortcut icon arrows on Windows 7 yet?

Is there a way to permanetly allow a program without turning off UAC? I know UAC is annoying, but this comp is mostly used by my parents, they need the UAC nanny.

No. That would be a HUGE security hole, because that mechanism could then potentially be exploited by malware makers to easier infect your computers. Contact the manufacturer of said program to see if there is a way to make it work with UAC.

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess I'll just turn off UAC.

Hey, I'm thinking of installing 7 tomorrow whilst I'm studying. How long did it take most people for the installation to run and to set it up to your liking? I'm doing a clean install, and I want to be able to leave it alone for at least 3 hours to install and I will then set it up at night. I can't pay too much attention to it either whilst it is installing, does it need a lot of user input? Also, has anybody had any problems with any specific programs (I know some are mentioned earlier, I'm just trying to collate a list and check it against my list of progams)

thanks and sorry for asking so many questions! :)

Installation takes about 30 minutes (with reservations regarding formatting), it doesnt need any more inputs after you push go.
Windows will tell you if a program has known compability problems and it'll troubleshoot it as well for you.

Last edited:
yup, mine went even faster than that.
Ofcourse you have to make double sure you backed everything up first, which also takes time.

but the actual install was the quickest one I have ever done

My install was super quick, too.

Winamp is having this issue, for me...I guess I'll wait for an update from them to fix it?