Chrome: Google's Open Source Browser!

Switched back to firefox too, I'm too accustomed to my add-ons.

I thought I had heard somewhere that they had changed the EULA to be less frightening, is this true? IF it is then I'll probably give it a shot here at work before loading up at home.

Well, since the webfilter here blocks me from downloading Chrome, I decided to give Opera a try. In the first few minutes of use I will say I do like the look and layout of it, but not the way it's rendering some pages. I'll have to look into it later, but for now I'll continue to see what it's like.

This alone is enough to convince me to ditch firefox for good. Unless someone else puts out a browser that uses even less memory, I'm stickin' with Chrome. :clap:

Untitled-2.png

This alone is enough to convince me to ditch firefox for good. Unless someone else puts out a browser that uses even less memory, I'm stickin' with Chrome. :clap:

Untitled-2.png

bleh, opera is faster and more efficent than both above mentioned browser :p

operamemusage.jpg

Last edited:

Untitled-2.png

I was worried about that when I first noticed it (mine uses anywhere from 60-160 MB), but:

1) this is with 11 add-ons

2) It is very rare that my 2 GB laptop has less than 1 GB RAM free

Firefox isn't that bad unless you're running a zillion tabs. It runs on my desktop with 2-3 tabs open at around 75,000k. Why is it such a big deal if most have at least a gig of RAM these days?

I have more than 640k of memory so I don't really care :cool:

Yeah, I'm running 14 tabs and my firefox is using 247mb of ram, out of 2048. I can afford it.

Didn't think that this deserved its own thread, hence the bump.
I've been using Chrome for about two months now and this morning I switched back to firefox. Chrome used a LOT less memory (which was great, because ff is a memory hog); I liked the empty window (small bars up top and that's it). However, Chrome lagged like whoa for some reason, especially when it was loading multiple pages at the same time (I tend to have a lot of tabs open). It also lagged a lot if I left a window minimized for, say, half an hour or longer and then opened it again. Overall, I liked Chrome a lot but it was too slow and laggy for my tastes - using it was simply annoying. We'll see though, maybe I won't like firefox as much after using Chrome and I'll switch yet again.

My fave theme is Naver. It's the sweetest and cleanest of them all.

I tried downloading Chrome once but the setup did not get along with W7 so I skipped it and tried Opera instead. Opera is pretty nice for a basic internet user but I cant stand using it, its just not got the aftermarket that FF has. From what I can tell, Chrome has even less aftermarket support.

^Chrome works alongside win7, I run them on my desktop without issues

I'm still torn, if you want total speed, Chrome is the best pick, but I have SO come to love FF's plugins (Greasemonkey, Colorfultabs, Adblock, Cooliris, etc)

Yeah weirdly it did not work when I installed W7 RTM a few weeks ago, I guess it works now but now I've got my system all set up and don't want to try it anymore.

I must have adblock. Can't live without adblock.

I take back what I said earlier about never going back to Firefox. I relapsed. As great as Chrome is, there's hardly any add-on support for it. No translators, no Stumble, no easily-installed skins, nada. And it refuses to display pdf documents. That's annoying. Chrome is good as a lightweight, no-frills browser, but those who like lots of bells & whistles are better off using something else.

Decided to give Chrome another try. The extra real estate is nice on this stupid resolution, and it's noticeably faster than FF. The only addons I use in FF are chatzilla and the image transloader, but I won't miss those. At this point the only thing I want to change is to make the icons smaller so I can free up a few more pixels, and I think it would look cleaner.