Seeing your old car/truck destroyed

it's a bit like dumping/being dumped by your girlfriend. If you're apart, who cares that she has a new asshole boyfriend that treats her badly?

If it wasn't a bad breakup I wouldn't want to see a boyfriend treated like shit either :dunno:

This thread strikes me a bit ironic given the bit of mocking from FG towards the Morris Marina Owner's Club over their reaction to the one TG set fire to a while back.

This thread strikes me a bit ironic given the bit of mocking from FG towards the Morris Marina Owner's Club over their reaction to the one TG set fire to a while back.

Agree - except all the vehicles mentioned in the thread are better than a Morris Marina. :)

I had a 1977 Lincoln Town Car that I sold because it needed more money put into it than I had.

I saw it up for sale about a year later and emailed the owner. It was the same guy and he had done lots of work and had enjoyed the car but was just looking for a change. He offered to see me the car back at a great price but I declined as I already had two project cars.

I saw another ad for it about a year after the first. It was being sold by a different guy who had put on ugly, bolt on wire wheels, ripped up the dash for a stereo and generally beat the crap out of the car. What a horrible feeling knowing that I could have prevented it.

I have a friend who allegedly had a 68 Camaro in high school (this is back in the early 00's) that his dad made him sell that... allegedly, got wrapped around a tree by another 16 year old.

Allegedly being the operative word. I dont trust a word that guy says. But if that's true that's a horrible waste.

Note most of us are smart enough to say "I will never sell my car" and the ones who did didn't go write letters to the next owner about destroying it.:lol:

I really don't care. The cars I've owned are a dime a dozen with the exception of my MG, and I won't be selling it.

You're all nuts. If you sell a car and get another one, why do you care what happens afterward?
Unless it's something super special or rare, or you put a lot of time & effort into it, who gives a shit.

it's a bit like dumping/being dumped by your girlfriend. If you're apart, who cares that she has a new asshole boyfriend that treats her badly?

I think your looking at it all wrong. I think of some of my old cars as old friends. I haven't had any contact for a few months/years, but I don't want to hear that they are in ill health or dead.

I'm like most Cressida owners...unwilling to sell to just anybody. Plus I spent too much on maintaining it as a daily driver while having its body restored to new condition. Nothing makes me more upset than making myself poorer and throwing it all away.

I'd be concerned if my old car was wrecked, but that's mostly because I know the guy who bought it, and I like him and his wife enough that I don't want them in a serious accident.

Note most of us are smart enough to say "I will never sell my car" and the ones who did didn't go write letters to the next owner about destroying it.:lol:

The vast majority of "our" cars are very easily replaceable. After all, they are just pieces of metal. Your beetle has sentimental value and argatoga's MG is probably pretty rare if its in good shape, but the rest of us... shrug.

The vast majority of "our" cars are very easily replaceable. After all, they are just pieces of metal. Your beetle has sentimental value and argatoga's MG is probably pretty rare if its in good shape, but the rest of us... shrug.

Ahem...... :p

To be honest it isn't super rare. If I had to I could get a nearly identical car pretty easily (obviously the engine would need to be swapped in again).

But I enjoy my car and know there is no way in hell I'm going to recoup any of the money I've put into it.

I have to sell my Camaro, I'm damn sure going to find another Camaro lover to take it and restore it the way it deserves. If it gets crushed I will shed many tears.

That is because you have no car you have bikes of course you don't care if you imaginary car is ruined! :p

I am loathing the day I decide to buy a new car, because I daresay my parents will force me to sell the Suzuki. Which means that some kid with bugger all money is going to buy it and most likely write it off, as per what happens of most of the other old superminis around here. If I ever find that out, I would be devastated, it would be like I sent an old friend off to death row

(we have owned this care since new for 15 years and it was a birthday present from my parents, i treasure it highly and it holds a lot of memories)

At the same time when you get a nicer newer shiner better car, you tend to forget the older one quite quickly. Unless the new one turns out to be a piece of poo.

I sold the XA I had to a guy that was looking for parts for his XA. I really wanted him to use my old car as the base and sacrifice his car for parts. I understand the odd look he gave me when I told him so.

I still see my old Carolla around town (sold to an apprentice mechanic). He's finally beaten the ding out of the door that was from it's previous owner.

I wouldn't want to see my Bluebird or old 323 being treated badly by an asshole boyfriend.

:|

then why did you get out of the relationship sell the car in the first place

If it wasn't a bad breakup I wouldn't want to see a boyfriend treated like shit either :dunno:

see above

I really don't care. The cars I've owned are a dime a dozen with the exception of my MG, and I won't be selling it.

This.

I think your looking at it all wrong. I think of some of my old cars as old friends. I haven't had any contact for a few months/years, but I don't want to hear that they are in ill health or dead.

See above.

At the same time when you get a nicer newer shiner better car, you tend to forget the older one quite quickly. Unless the new one turns out to be a piece of poo.

This also, a lot

then why did you get out of the relationship sell the car in the first place

Incompatibility and needs change. <strike>sometimes relationships just don't work even if the person isn't an asshole.</strike>

Off the top of my head I can think of 2 people who sold their beetle and replaced them with a SUV and pickup because they needed the space for hauling things or children and kick themselves pretty much daily for it.