Gran Turismo 5

Tekken 6 is on Xbox360 too, which pissed me off. I thought it was going to be a PS3 exclusive.

I just want a paint editor in GT5 like in Forza.

Are we, xbox360 owners, less good so we deserve not to get titles like Tekken?
I'm allways glad when games go multi-platform, I wouldn't mind Forza or Halo going to PS3, because then more people can enjoy great games and discuss about them. That's just my opinion :) I don't see the point of platform-exclusive games from the consumers point of view.

For a game like Tekken, it doesn't matter much, but it can mean a dilution in content in some cases. From your point of view I agree, but the other side of the coin is that if Gran Turismo went multi-platform, it would have to be either multiple discs or squashed onto a single DVD.

^That's true and I can understand why for instance Polyphony sticks to the PS, just not why it matters to consumers if they don't.

That said and since GT5 certainly won't go multi-platform I might consider buying a PS3, probably second handed since all I'll ever play on it would be GT5 :)

On my iPhone, so can't repost the pictures, but this years SEMA car has been chosen.

Phillip Koenen brought a really gorgeous, miles-deep-black, 1970 Mustang to SEMA and came away with another fine piece of hardware:The Gran Turismo Best in Show award. For the past several years, Sony Computer Entertainment America has hosted these awards, which honor some of the coolest cars at SEMA.

Koenen's SOHC 427-powered "Trans-Cammer" snagged the Best Hot Rod award in addition to winning Best in Show. Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi awarded the trophy himself at the awards ceremony, which rocked The Palms' Rain nightclub Wednesday night. In addition to the the trophy, Koenen's beloved "Trans-Cammer" Mustang wins the right to be featured in a future installment of the Gran Turismo series.

Other Gran Turismo Award winners included Scott Bailey and Tony Vanillo's Ford F-250 Unlimited 2 Class short-course race truck in the Best Truck/SUV category; Chris Rado's World Racing Unlimited front-wheel-drive time attack Scion TC as Best Asian Import; KC Howet's 2009 Underground Racing Lamborghini LP560-4TT in Best European Import; and Nicholas Ashby's Moment Carbon Camaro for Best Domestic Automobile. Sounds like a dream garage to us. Follow the jump to read the official press release, and don't forget to check out the gallery as well.

http://autoblog.com/2009/11/07/sema-2009-gran-turismo-best-in-show-is-the-trans-cammer-mustang/

That thing looks awesome, and I can't wait to drive it.

On my iPhone, so can't repost the pictures, but this years SEMA car has been chosen.

That thing looks awesome, and I can't wait to drive it.

Here are the pictures:

1970-mustang-transcammer-sema-2009-gt-awards-1.jpg

1970-mustang-transcammer-sema-2009-gt-awards-2.jpg

1970-mustang-transcammer-sema-2009-gt-awards-3.jpg

1970-mustang-transcammer-sema-2009-gt-awards-4.jpg

1970-mustang-transcammer-sema-2009-gt-awards-5.jpg

1970-mustang-transcammer-sema-2009-gt-awards-6.jpg

1970-mustang-transcammer-sema-2009-gt-awards-7.jpg

1970-mustang-transcammer-sema-2009-gt-awards-8.jpg

That's Badass! :D

That rear diffuser/splitter/whatever is just Rong... :(

yeah don't embedded them again mate, I don't perticularly like downloading 40mb of pictures on my corporate internet

I actually really DON'T like the way that Infiniti looks in the 4th photo.

http://img33.imageshack.**/img33/7654/granturismo518megapixel.jpg

Lighting on the front bumper makes it look really unrealistic, and thing overall looks sub-par compared to some of the earlier Ferrari and Lamborghini images we've seen.

Sorry for the double post, but I just had a thought....

....factors which determine what cars are included: the cars that Yamauchi wants to be in it, the cars that players want....

Just looking at the Volvo list.. Volvo 240GL wagon + Volvo S60 T5.

Ummmm, wouldn't it make more sense to include, saw a 850 T5-R wagon + S60R? I doubt the players want to drive around a 240. Although because it was in the game, I really liked it, but still...

I actually really DON'T like the way that Infiniti looks in the 4th photo.

Lighting on the front bumper makes it look really unrealistic, and thing overall looks sub-par compared to some of the earlier Ferrari and Lamborghini images we've seen.
You are aware it is a matte finish?

You are aware it is a matte finish?

I was not aware of that, but still, those winglets on the front fenders look too.......I can't think of the word, but they don't look right. And all the internals (intercooler, frame, piping) that we can see through the bumper also are bothering me for some reason.

GT4 convinced me to get a PS2, GT5 will convince me to get a PS3.

Ya, they know that Gran Turismo alone has been able to move more PS2/PS3 consoles. I think Yamauchi has already said that Sony knows ppl will get the PS3 just so they can play GT5.

^ Yeah, but then those don't really count as reasons to buy a PS3 if he already has an Xbox.

A few more to add to the 'reasons to buy a playstation list'

- Wipeout HD + Fury
- Tekken 6 (I think)
- The Agency
- Agent
- The Getaway
- Infamous
- Prototype
- Ratchet and Clank
- Resistance 1+2
- Motorstorm

Don't forget the biggest reason to get PS3 besides GT5: Blu-ray player :cool:

Say...wasn't the PS2 one of the first DVD players as well when it came out?

Last edited:
The infiniti shot doesn't look right because the paint is reflecting NONE of the atmospheric colors. Even if it is a flat or matte finish, there should be some indication of the cyan being reflected by the windshield:

77441d1206640420-flat-black-ferrari-430-flat-black-ferrari-1.jpg

vs

The screen just looks unnatural.

:jawdrop:

I am happy if I make it to top 100....

Just dropped $2 more on Amazon!

And they gave me an exact estimated delivery date (as opposed to a 10 day range). Before it said shipping April 1-10, 2010, now its saying April 5.

Has anyone else pre-ordered it? Or am I the only one so far?

Edit: and I forgot to post the day's GT5 news.

November 9, 2009 - Gran Turismo series creator Kasunori Yamauchi is a regular at the Special Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas. Each year he walks the floor and chooses a winning custom automobile to be digitized and made playable in the next version of Gran Turismo. We caught up with the Sony/Polyphony Digital developer at the convention for a brief chat about the custom car scene and Grand Turismo 5, the long-awaited next installment in the legendary driving series.

What do you look for in a SEMA winner?

In the SEMA GT awards, we have Japanese cars, European cars, domestic cars, and we're basically just looking for the most high performance cars out there. But I haven't seen them yet so I don't know exactly whats's going to happen. We find the car that shines out from the crowd like a jewel.

Last year's SEMA was all about classic cars. What are the trends you are seeing this year?

Yes, the theme last year was nostalgia. There is a revivlal of a lot of American cars. This year one thing I noticed was there are a lot less European cars and I saw a lot of R35 GT-Rs that were tuned on the floor.

What were the winning cars from the past 2 years, and why were they chosen?

First the HPA Audi (TT), I was very impressed by the performance of the car, obviously. And also the level of completion of all the details of the car ? the interior, exterior and nearly everything about it was just nearly perfect. And that was something I focused on.

For the (Infinity) G37, I was kind of overwhelmed by the wild exterior of the car and I think the other thing that really got me about that car was there were a lot of people who worked on that car. It was just the sort of car that everybody got together and poured their passion into. And that was something that I really liked about it.

Are you ready to announce a North American release date for Gran Turismo 5?

In Japan it's due to be released in March 2010. And the release date in North America shouldn't deviate too far from that, but it hasn't been decided yet.

You've said before there will be 20 locations with 70 variations. Can you break that down at all in more detail for people who are accustomed to hearing a specific number of tracks?

At SEMA we still can't talk about the details yet. As I mentioned before there will be 20 different types of scenery the game will be set in, and in those 20 different locations there will be 70 different layouts of tracks that will be available to play.

Have you finalized plans for a track editor?

Things like that I can't really discuss yet. This can be said about all the GT development. Until we're very close to release we won't have a finalized decision on a lot of things.

If there is a track editor, that will make your job easier, right? Because you can make fans design the tracks instead of your team.

[Laughs] A lot of the courses we set up, we take a long time fine-tuning the details and building the track, so it would probably be a bit different than the types of tracks the users will set up in the game.

Has it been decided if weather or time changes will be in the final game?

Technically it's already possible to do in the game, it's just how we're going to have that have meaning in the game.

Recently we saw a video of the Gran Turismo box with multiple discs. What exactly is on those discs?

[Laughs] That's something else we can't really talk about yet, but I'm surprised at the level of detail everyone is focused on.

The videos you've made to coincide with the announcment of the inclusion of cars like the Ferrari 458 Italia and the Toyota FT-86 were great. Are there plans to release more of them?

Of course. And we have a lot of collaborations going on with a lot of different manufacturers right now, so I think not just in terms of video, but we'll have other things to announce as time progresses.

Have plans been finalized for whether motorcycles will be featured in Gran Turismo 5?

If that's what users really want in the game, I think that's a possibility. Or we could consider making a Tourist Trophy 2 as well.

Are you working with Logitech on a new racing wheel for GT5?

When the Driving Force GT came out, that was actually developed for GT5. And it was kind of an early release for it to be sold while GT5 Prologue was out. And we've yet to actually maximise the performance of that steering wheel. I think we're going to try to draw out all the potential it has before we move on to developing a new wheel. Because I think that steering wheel still has a lot of possibilities.

For the Top Gear tracks, will you be able to race agains The Stig's official times?

We're trying to plan that now.

If you could drive any car in the world you haven't driven yet, what would it be?

I'd like to try driving the Tesla Roadster S actually.

Will that car be in the game?

It will appear in the game, and I'm really itching to get the chance to drive that car.

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/857126/gran-turismo-5/videos/granturismo5_inv_cema.html

1. Keep motorcycles out of the game. Thats what Tourist Trophy is for. If they're not there already, it will just cause more delays.
2. STIG LAP TIMES!
3. SIARPC lap times would be awesome :lol:

That pretty much summarizes my thoughts.

Last edited: