Time for New Car...

THGL

Car(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) Limited
'99-'04 Jeep Grand Cherokee (either 4.0 I6 or 4.7 V8) under 80k miles
or
'01 Volvo XC70 ~85k miles

There are a lot of Jeeps available so it's a broad choice, but there is only one Cross Country available that doesn't have a brazillion miles on it. The downside to the Volvo is it's at the top of my spending limit.

I can't decide!!!

Personally, unless you are going to really thrash it offroad at lot under extreme conditions, I'd go with the Volvo. They can still do a bit of real offroading (and for soft-roading they are great!) and in day to day driving I think you'll be much happier with the handling, comfort, etc.

Steve

'99-'04 Jeep Grand Cherokee (either 4.0 I6 or 4.7 V8) under 80k miles
or
'01 Volvo XC70 ~85k miles

There are a lot of Jeeps available so it's a broad choice, but there is only one Cross Country available that doesn't have a brazillion miles on it. The downside to the Volvo is it's at the top of my spending limit.

I can't decide!!!

Which is (if you don't mind)...

If you do get the jeep go with the 4.0 it'll outlive you, but personally I would go with the volvo.

Back history:
I've owned an '01 Jeep TJ so I'm familiar with the 4.0, but I've heard the Grand Cherokees are at the limit of that that engine can handle. I'd rather not get the V8, just because I don't trust Chrysler products (4.0 is based on AMC design). I've also owned a Suzuki Samurai so the Cherokee's ride is not an issue.
Spending limit is ~$12k. The Volvo is priced at $11,995 and the blue book value is listed at 11.5, so I could probably get the guy to come down.

Also, with 3 little ones at home (6 and under) I don't think they could climb into the Jeep w/o assistance. It would be fun to be back in the Jeep Family, although any 4-wheeling would be very limited.

I hate the thought of having a car payment again so the Jeep gets a plus for being cheaper...

Damn, I hate decisions like this!

Pretty obvious choice isn't it? Take the Volvo, and don't even think twice about it.

Can the 4th-gen Subaru Legacy Wagon be found in your budget?

2005_Subaru_LegacyWagon_ext_1.jpg

It looks a lot better than the dated Volvo, and it doesn't need premium gas (non-GT version), and it get's better gas mileage.

That's the one I would have if I were you, if I can find one for $12000.

I 3 or 5 series would be nice... but repairs are astronomical around here!

I drove a 2000 Grand Cherokee for the first year and a half of having my drivers licence. V8.

I loved that truck. Extremely capable in the snow/wet/off road. The V8 has lots of power. You'll have fun smoking ricers at lights. I say truck too, because it does drive a bit like one. Don't get me wrong... it feels very planted in teh corners. But the steering is a bit on the heavy side (which I like) and the ride is smooth, but it's smooth for a solid axle truck. It can't compete with the Volvo's IFS. (but I like the solid axle feel too) The Grand Cherokee also has a proper transfercase... I don't think the Volvo does (or if it does, it's one of the lame electronic deals) The Grand Cherokee has a Center T-case lock and a rear limited slip.

The 4.0 is a great engine. But it just doesn't have the power for the GC. Get the V8.

I can't say much for the Volvo. I'm sure it's a well built vehicle. But I love the Grand Cherokee and it would definelty be my choice. It's intoxicating.

Dare I say... It's a Jeep Thing.

Last edited:
Get the Lolvo. Srsly
it may be boring but they're very well built, comfortable and reliable

Get the Lolvo. Srsly
it may be boring but they're very well built, comfortable and reliable

:nod: +1

Both cars are boring to drive, so why not pick the most reliable vehicle of the bunch?

And the XC70's interior is going to be miles better than what the Jeep can ever offer. It's just a better choice as a great family car.

Speaking of which, why Jeep and Volvo? And why the need of an big estate/wagon ?

Why an wagon/estate or SUV? I'll give you 3 reasons: Emily (6), Claire (5), & Thomas (3). Small children are required by law to be in booster seats so it's not like the good ol' days where you could shoehorn in as many kids in the backseat as would fit. So with the boosters, I need the room to seat everyone.

My wife drives a Honda Odyssey and I refuse to drive a minivan on a daily basis. No need for two.

At the beginning of the search I considered a Mini or RX-8 but my "adult" side got the better of me and I'm looking for something a little more sensible. If I had the money it would be a 4-door Jeep Wrangler in a heartbeat.

The dealer who has the Volvo called me last night and just got a Grand Cherokee traded in. '99 Limited with V8 and only 74k miles. The owner had 5 cars, so I guess the Jeep was the "Oh my God, there's a dusting of snow! Better get the 4x4 out!" Dealer is having it detailed this a.m. so I'll look at it at lunch.

If he would come down a grand on the Volvo, I'd buy it today.

74k is a bit more than driving in only when it's snowing. Unless it snows a lot there, what do I know.

You're a family guy so I say Volvo. Don't know if you want an automatic but from what I can gather the Jeep is a 4-speed and the Volvo is either 5 or 6 depending on engine and year. Also has independent suspension vs two solid axles.