General Anime Thread

I've been spending most of my free time reading manga rather than watching anime as of late... although I keep up with the progress of One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. I did however watch some episodes of K?mpfer and The Sacred Blacksmith.

Watched: Initial D (5x times all episodes), K-On! (totally EPIC, i want moar), Wangan Midnights, OverDrive (Biking anime, i liked it), Area 88 (Def. worth checking out if you enjoy fighter planes :p) and One Outs, the one and only baseball anime!

If someone knows more of these kind of "unique" anime's, tell me =D

One Outs certainly isn't the only baseball anime.
Best one I've seen is Touch.

And not having seen half of them what do you mean by them being unique?

Last edited:
Then with dubbing, you get excessive Westernization. [...] Then there was that whole One Piece fiasco...
What do you mean? Poison Suction is the greatest invention ever!:lol:
Anyways, the One Piece manga is just too awesome to describe at the moment...:blink: It's never been this good I reckon, and that's saying something.

really? I don't read the manga of one piece or naruto or bleach... I rather wait for the anime than spoil it with reading the manga (did it for all 3 at one point but now I'm patiently waiting them out, through all horrible filler arcs)

really? I don't read the manga of one piece or naruto or bleach... I rather wait for the anime than spoil it with reading the manga (did it for all 3 at one point but now I'm patiently waiting them out, through all horrible filler arcs)

man you are really missing out i know that in Wangan Midnight, Initial D, Beck and a few other shows they have cut out whole chunks of the manga when they made the anime versions

Area 88 (Def. worth checking out if you enjoy fighter planes :p)
OVA or the newer TV series? I've never seen the old OVA one, that said I quite enjoyed the TV series.

Last edited:
Watched: Initial D (5x times all episodes), K-On! (totally EPIC, i want moar), Wangan Midnights, OverDrive (Biking anime, i liked it), Area 88 (Def. worth checking out if you enjoy fighter planes :p) and One Outs, the one and only baseball anime!

If someone knows more of these kind of "unique" anime's, tell me =D

As far as baseball animes go, Major is definitely #1...but then again, baseball animes are all pretty crap tier. As far as spots animes go, Hajime no Ippo and Slam Dunk are top 2, then everything else is just garbage. Ashita no Joe is also damn good if you can stand the old school drawings.

Oh and read Bakuman. Bakuman is fucking godlike (if you're not convinced, it's written by the same guy who did Death Note).

Last edited:
man you are really missing out i know that in Wangan Midnight, Initial D, Beck and a few other shows they have cut out whole chunks of the manga when they made the anime versions

Ahhh but I've read Beck and Initial D =)

One Outs certainly isn't the only baseball anime.
Best one I've seen is Touch.

And not having seen half of them what do you mean by them being unique?
Well, how many racing anime's there are? or something like K-On! or OverDrive?

Anyways, ill need to check Touch and Major. I also read Initial D & K-On! Manga's.

K-on as about music groups, you've got BECK, Nana and Detroid Metal City perhaps even Nodame Cantabile, or as girl school slice of life (4 panel) comedy you've got azumanga, minamike, lucky star and pani poni dash.
But sure it's unique amongst those I've mentioned as it's a mix of the two genres.

Initial D is not completely unique as it's a sports anime/manga and there's quite a lot of those. And the "action" sequences in 3D can be likened to some mecha series which are closely related to sport animes.

i like cowboy bebop

Just watched the First episode of Valkyria Chronicles and i have to say that it's a nice and refreshing experience to move away from the mind screw, High octane Nightmare fuel that is Higurashi. I enjoyed it, i really did, though i have to see the rest of the episodes to see if it will replace Higurashi as my favorite anime, it's making a credible case for itself right now

Last edited:
Well, I can say that Valkryia Chronicles made for a very weird video game....

Just watched the First episode of Valkyria Chronicles and i have to say that it's a nice and refreshing experience to move away from the mind screw, High octane Nightmare fuel that is Higurashi. I enjoyed it, i really did, though i have to see the rest of the episodes to see if it will replace Higurashi as my favorite anime, it's making a credible case for itself right now

VC kinda falls flat at the end, it really didn't have the epic ending that I was hoping for.

#1 sign of a good fansub:

Intro video is triple-subtitled in Kanji, Romanji, and English, with karaoke-style word highlighting. (sorry if I used the wrong words there). The more elaborate the better.

I could care less about that aspect but it's the first thing I check when trying to find a good one. What I do care about is proper representation of names (correct order, leaving in -san, -chan, etc) and explanations of things that are lost in translation (puns, cultural notes, word meanings).

Has anyone heard of Negima? The first anime is pretty mediocre IMO, second is okay, but there's recently been a series of OVAs that are based on the manga and they look brilliant. The manga's a good read too.

Yeah.... Negima is done by the same mangaka who did Love Hina, I'd suggest you read or watch that.
I watched about half of the first season of negima... and before that only read like the two first chapters of the manga. Couldn't really get in to it... I just get fed up with the panty shots and tsundere main female character after a while I guess...

I watched about 6 episodes of Love Hina, then I read the manga all the way through and it was far better.

It seems like with all of Akamatsu's stuff the anime always turns out to be different from the manga and usually ends up being a train wreck as a result...although the new OVAs have somewhat saved Negima from that idea.