Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Wikipedia once said on the NASA page that we should all go into space like monkeys.

Wikipedia once said on the NASA page that we should all go into space like monkeys.

Yeah but that is an EPIC way to die...hell if I could go into space when say, I am 30 and be able to see what the world looks like up there why spending a few days staring at it listening to music. I'd sign my life away right then.

You wouldn't be able to hear music in outer space, it's a vacuum, no air. Unless you're on a space craft.

So my dad just came to me with a proposal which is both terrifying and totally bitchin'. Technically, I'm the owner of both our cars (The ZX2 and the Focus) but in exchange for letting him drive the ZX2, he covers insurance. He's turning into an old man and can't crowbar himself into the low-slung ZX2 anymore, and my neice (he's her legal guardian) needs to learn to drive soon. He wants me to swap him my DD focus for the ZX2, so she can learn on the Focus and he can have a car that he can get into without ruining his back.

That means I'd be handing my PRECIOUSSSSSSSS over to an L-driver... And I'd be driving one of the least pretty cars ever. But I'd have a manual transmission and the better of the two engines.

.... I don't know what to think, except "I'm pretty sure I could get $3000 for that ZX2 and be 2/3rds of the way to an XJR" - except that still puts us down one car for the number of drivers.

Hmmm...Wikipedia claims that Porsche helped in the development of my Volvo's 5 cylinder engine. However, I can't seem to find evidence anywhere else, besides Wikipedia.

Never trust Wikipedia. Ever.

So my dad just came to me with a proposal which is both terrifying and totally bitchin'. Technically, I'm the owner of both our cars (The ZX2 and the Focus) but in exchange for letting him drive the ZX2, he covers insurance. He's turning into an old man and can't crowbar himself into the low-slung ZX2 anymore, and my neice (he's her legal guardian) needs to learn to drive soon. He wants me to swap him my DD focus for the ZX2, so she can learn on the Focus and he can have a car that he can get into without ruining his back.

That means I'd be handing my PRECIOUSSSSSSSS over to an L-driver... And I'd be driving one of the least pretty cars ever. But I'd have a manual transmission and the better of the two engines.

.... I don't know what to think, except "I'm pretty sure I could get $3000 for that ZX2 and be 2/3rds of the way to an XJR" - except that still puts us down one car for the number of drivers.

DO EEET! btw is your focus your "preciousssss"??? :?

I've done a lot of editing on Wikipedia over the years, and I have a simple rule of thumb -- don't trust anything that doesn't cite its sources. Generally, if you see a bunch of [1] [2] [3] etc. throughout the article, it's much, much more likely to be good information.

^still, anyone can edit it and put something weird on, this especially happens on current events

DO EEET! btw is your focus your "preciousssss"??? :?

Yes. Despite being a total shitbox I hold it very, very dear and plan on holding onto it in some form or another until the wheels fall right off.

I found this while doing some pre-winter maintenance on the ol' Roadmaster.

tire-w-broken-slipped-belt-1755.jpg

Not to bad considering that they were due to be replaced (see the wear indicator) anyway. The only problem was finding it around the time the nearby tire stores closed.

Poor old car has developed another problem. I had a rubber brake line go yesterday, so I guess it is time to replace all three. The front two looked all right, but I never looked at the back one.

And why do the tire shops want to sell me a truck tire for it?? WTF, I know big RWD cars are not the norm any more, but it is a freaking car. There are still plenty of the beasts on the road. All I want is a decent all-season tire. I have a trip planned for this week so it will have to wait until I get back. Good thing I wasn't driving.

I caused the second scratch in my car today - I ditched the door on a metal post upon opening. I say second because when I returned home I discovered the (presumably) first one on the edge of the front bumper. :( Both appear to be minor ones, the second one very minor.
I'll have to wait and get a closer look after I get around to wash the car, hopefully next week-end. Damn.

I'm going home in a week.

That means I'll have my car (97 M-B E320) back.
That means I'm going to pump it full of gas, put in some good tunes, and head out into Kansas for a few hours to get re-acquainted with it.

I'll only be home for like a week before I come back to Chicago to work...

Still, it's the thing about going home I am MOST looking forwards to. And seeing my dog.

Hmmm...Wikipedia claims that Porsche helped in the development of my Volvo's 5 cylinder engine. However, I can't seem to find evidence anywhere else, besides Wikipedia.

Porsche did consultancy work on the inlet manifold tuning, induction system and stuff like that. My source is an engineer at Volvo.

Porsche did consultancy work on the inlet manifold tuning, induction system and stuff like that. My source is an engineer at Volvo.

So you are telling me Porsche helped the engine suck. :p

//Former 850 Turbo owner, I do love that engine.

Could be worse...if they'd worked on the exhaust manifold or the turbo, they would've helped the engine to blow.

Blow and suck at once in the case of the turbo.

Yes!!! This means I can put some "Designed by Porsche" stickers on my car :D:D:D