Choose a car for 12,436 pounds

camelfarmer

Car(s)
Ford focus
I spend a lot of time on the loo looking at the cars in the back of the TG magazine wondering which I'd buy for a certain ammount of money. So this is what we are going to do now:

Each week I will make this thread, with a different budget, and you will choose you top 3 cars. If it catches on, I will make a list of this forums favourite car on a budget.

Rules:

1. You must keep to the budget, not a pound over. Use the current currency exchange rate. You may use any dealers and such like to find a good deal. It doesn't have to be the list price.

2. It must be a new car, no used cars allowed.

3. It has to be a car currently on sale in your country.

State:

1. Your top 3 in order - with price and source.

2. Reasons for and against if you want to.

Today's budget: 12,436 pounds

12 436 British pounds = 20 886.262 U.S. dollars

Bah. There was a new RX-8 in the papers a few weeks ago for $22k. My uncle test drove it, and he would have come down.

I think I could haggle a Fiat 500 Abarth down to that. It's certainly what I'd have. 'Cause their good

Last edited:
The budget is low for a reason. That's a pretty decent budget for a small hatch for a rich student, a parent buying their kid a car, newly employed person, old person who only drives to the supermarket. I see loads of cars like chevrolet matizes (around 5000-8000 pounds) on the streets.

I'll make higher budget threads later. But for this one, lets be realistic and talk about what people are actually buying everyday, rather than supercars and classic cars.

Oh, and somebody ban the spammer.

Last edited:
That's ? 14,058.13.

So, shall I choose from the German market or general European one or do I take the $ 20k and choose from the US market? Because the results would be rather different.

That's ? 14,058.13.

So, shall I choose from the German market or general European one or do I take the $ 20k and choose from the US market? Because the results would be rather different.

I think he's looking for a realistic result, ie, your own market.

On paper, I'd probably go with the new Kia Forte Koup (I thought I'd never say that), a 173 HP SX with a manual and the leather package comes out to $20,090 delivered. OR, I'd get a Golf coupe with rims and the style package, which comes out to 20,808 delivered which is just barely under budget.

With that budget for a new car, I'd probably go for a VW Golf. Not much in terms of options for that price, but it's a solid car with decent performance and good fuel economy. And it will hold its value, so you get more of what you spent back, when you sell it.

20K?
I can buy a hard top bug for that. I guess. Other things that come to mind are not here yet.

Agree'd, But with all the current incentives and rebates, I bet I could get a Base Mustang V8 with track pack for that money. I'd be happy with that.