Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

A guy I know just bought a Civic. Not sure what year but its a recent one, non-Si, manual. He keeps telling me that it has "good pickup" and then came the kicker: he told me that he was a little disappointed that it didn't come with a spoiler. When I mentioned that spoilers are absolutely useless, he mentioned improved cornering because there was more air pushing down on the wheels. I responded by specifying that the spoiler would (well, if it was at all functional and not just a tacky piece of plastic) push down on the back wheels of a front wheel drive car. He was surprised and asked if race cars were "back wheel drive".

Sometimes I forget that not everyone knows basic things about cars.

On a side note, my dad's car got rear-ended once. The shop put on the first trunk lid they could find, apparently, because it had a spoiler on it. My dad refused to pay them until they took the spoiler off :D

I think it's not bad to have a tiny little aesthetically-purposed spoiler on the back of a car. since it does not affect handling because it's just a piece of plastic, if it's tasteful I'm down with it.

if i was to put useless decoratory things on the back of a car I would prefer the car fins from CrazyRussian's post. :lol:

Yes, I know decoratory is not a real word. I made it up and like it better than decorative.

A guy I know just bought a Civic. Not sure what year but its a recent one, non-Si, manual. He keeps telling me that it has "good pickup" and then came the kicker: he told me that he was a little disappointed that it didn't come with a spoiler. When I mentioned that spoilers are absolutely useless, he mentioned improved cornering because there was more air pushing down on the wheels. I responded by specifying that the spoiler would (well, if it was at all functional and not just a tacky piece of plastic) push down on the back wheels of a front wheel drive car. He was surprised and asked if race cars were "back wheel drive".

Sometimes I forget that not everyone knows basic things about cars.

On a side note, my dad's car got rear-ended once. The shop put on the first trunk lid they could find, apparently, because it had a spoiler on it. My dad refused to pay them until they took the spoiler off :D

A guy from the volvoforums claims that his 850 Turbo got +3mpg when he removed the spoiler. So it's not only worthless, but actually has a negative effect on the car's performance.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijJgZWGO3VI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

GT-R mustang :lol:
apparently with a rotary that has pistons

Last edited:
+1 Sir, that is hilarious! I would love to meet the person making fun of the idiot.

A guy from the volvoforums claims that his 850 Turbo got +3mpg when he removed the spoiler. So it's not only worthless, but actually has a negative effect on the car's performance.

Depends on the car. The Sterling I had had the spoiler on the back and it actually made a difference. Mostly, I suspect, because Rover had screwed up the basic aero of the car and there was quite a bit of lift at the back at highway speeds.

That said, it didn't help cornering at all, just highway stability. You had to be going at highway speeds for it to do anything.

The TWR spoiler on the back of the Series III not only reduces lift but it also reduces drag (counterintuitive, I know, but it does).

My buddy who has a 99 mustang said his car felt a lot more stable with the spoiler on around 100mph.

Depends on the car. The Sterling I had had the spoiler on the back and it actually made a difference. Mostly, I suspect, because Rover had screwed up the basic aero of the car and there was quite a bit of lift at the back at highway speeds.

That said, it didn't help cornering at all, just highway stability. You had to be going at highway speeds for it to do anything.

The TWR spoiler on the back of the Series III not only reduces lift but it also reduces drag (counterintuitive, I know, but it does).

I agree. It really depends on the car.

I have been thinking about putting a lip spoiler on my Volvo. I wish I could get a stock wing spoiler, but those things are $150 shipped, and with a color different from mine.
An "M3 style" lip spoiler (I know it sounds terrible, and ricy) is cheap ($40) and very subtle. Maybe I'll get one in the spring.

In other news, I just bought 2 gallons of ATF and as soon as it stops raining I will attempt a change of my ATF on my rough shifting transmission.
It's a bit of a crapshoot. There can be only two outcomes - my transmission will start to shift smooth like butter and be like new...OR it may fail completely due to dislodging of gunk and throwing it in the clutches. There is no middle-ground. It will either make the car like new, or it will destroy it completely. Keep your fingers crossed, people!

Yeah, I know. I don't technically have the money to buy one right now anyway, but having one literally drive into my face was too much to pass up.

I'm still torn over whether I want to do the extra work and find an XJR6, or if
an 8 will do.

I'm leaning towards the 6 because, well, manual transmission (yes, I know I'd have to install it myself because they only sold 270 of the damn things and 0 in North America)

You could go back to them with a printout of this and see what they do: http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pri...=50000&SelectionHistory=7953|31838|17101|0|0|

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in the car business (and even just private sellers) who think that Jaguar + a few years of age = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ just because of the badge. That's just not so. Especially in this market, where you often can't sell most large luxury sedans for anything near their KBB retail value.

Let me put it to you this way: I parked it next to a purple 2002 Sebring convertible, which in the sick and twisted world of the used car market, is worth roughly the same as the Jag in question. $14,998.

In fact, thinking about it, the lowest price I've seen on the lot is $9999.

I agree. It really depends on the car.

I have been thinking about putting a lip spoiler on my Volvo. I wish I could get a stock wing spoiler, but those things are $150 shipped, and with a color different from mine.
An "M3 style" lip spoiler (I know it sounds terrible, and ricy) is cheap ($40) and very subtle. Maybe I'll get one in the spring.

Those aren't too bad and will probably help to split the laminar flow off the back instead of letting it get turbulent off the rear deck. It seemed to help my old Jeep Grand Wagoneer a tad - though I really got it for the CHMSL light in it.

At least it kept the rear windscreen from getting so coated with crap.

The TWR spoiler does make a large difference on the Series III, especially as you approach triple digits. The boat-tail design tends to generate lift on the back and the spoiler handles that quite nicely; that's why the XJ40, X300 and X308 designs incorporate a little 'lip spoiler' like element on the rear decklid.

In other news, I just bought 2 gallons of ATF and as soon as it stops raining I will attempt a change of my ATF on my rough shifting transmission.
It's a bit of a crapshoot. There can be only two outcomes - my transmission will start to shift smooth like butter and be like new...OR it may fail completely due to dislodging of gunk and throwing it in the clutches. There is no middle-ground. It will either make the car like new, or it will destroy it completely. Keep your fingers crossed, people!

Good luck on that, I bat about 70% with transmission fluid changes on transmissions that are having issues.

Yeah, I know. I don't technically have the money to buy one right now anyway, but having one literally drive into my face was too much to pass up.

I'm still torn over whether I want to do the extra work and find an XJR6, or if
an 8 will do.

I'm leaning towards the 6 because, well, manual transmission (yes, I know I'd have to install it myself because they only sold 270 of the damn things and 0 in North America)

Let me put it to you this way: I parked it next to a purple 2002 Sebring convertible, which in the sick and twisted world of the used car market, is worth roughly the same as the Jag in question. $14,998.

In fact, thinking about it, the lowest price I've seen on the lot is $9999.

How the hell do they stay in business? Are there really that many idiots on the East Coast?

<looks at electoral map>

Never mind. Apparently there are.

Last edited:
Good luck on that, I bat about 70% with transmission fluid changes on transmissions that are having issues.

You are right. But I've been thinking about this for months, and have decided to test my luck.
I've listened to many people's opinions, and they all agree that I definitely shouldn't do a flush (use pressure).
The Volvo dealer told me that if I don't know when the last change was, and if I am having problems with it - I shouldn't touch it.

But...my only problem is rough shifting. No slipping, no warning or error codes. Also, the rough shifting is much worse when its hot outside. My guess is that the old ATF is simply overheating.
So I'm optimistic...I really want this to work!

How the hell do they stay in business? Are there really that many idiots on the East Coast?
The "Central PA" region is much worse than average, even. It even shows in the name - central PA is NOWHERE near the center of the state, it's actually on the south border over about 1/3rd of the way from the east. The only thing "central" about it is that it includes the shithole of a capital.

that's why the XJ40, X300 and X308 designs incorporate a little 'lip spoiler' like element on the rear decklid.

...and the associated water stain trough right in front of it.

Those aren't too bad and will probably help to split the laminar flow off the back instead of letting it get turbulent off the rear deck. It seemed to help my old Jeep Grand Wagoneer a tad - though I really got it for the CHMSL light in it.

At least it kept the rear windscreen from getting so coated with crap.

The TWR spoiler does make a large difference on the Series III, especially as you approach triple digits. The boat-tail design tends to generate lift on the back and the spoiler handles that quite nicely; that's why the XJ40, X300 and X308 designs incorporate a little 'lip spoiler' like element on the rear decklid.

<looks at electoral map>

Never mind. Apparently there are.
Very funny! The truth is that the idiot car dealers that price Jaguars at stupid prices will struggle to sell that car because the jaguars priced at realistic prices have already been bought. If you look through ebay, Craigslist, and the Want ads consistently a reasonably priced Jaguar will show up. I remember my dad calling somebody on a Jaguar XK x100 that was in great shape the day after he picked up the want ad and was told it was already sold. It was about $6,000.